follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 11:49 AM   #43
86 South Africa
POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drives: White Toyota 86 (Scion FRs)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Also, are there any compatible blank rotor choices too? Imho blank, or at least just slotted might be a bit more reliable.
Seriously... don’t mean to be.. well... mean, but slotted vs ‘blank’ being more or less reliable is just utter nonsense.

Firstly rotors are made to various engineering standards and measurements for strength, tolerances, heat, etc and will easily handle anything you. And do with your car. Particularly when made by reputable companies and
Second, pretty much any serious aftermarket rotor is slotted/drilled etc for a good reason... to help manage heat.

Plus it just looks cool.

I really hate comments like this.
Again please read in the spirit in which I mean it... I.e. don’t type stuff that just simply isn’t true.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:23 PM   #44
dowroa
Old Guy

Drives: 16 STi, 22 MX-5 RF BBS, 04 OBS RPA
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 South Africa View Post
Second, pretty much any serious aftermarket rotor is slotted/drilled etc for a good reason... to help manage heat.
Incorrect. No one who goes to the track gets drilled rotors. Simply, they are weakness and hotpoints that crack. If you want me to list references to that, I am more than happy to bury you with that information.

Drilled in mostly for aesthetics only. Yes, OEMs have them. Yes, they die quickly. Yes, all track rats that don't go BBK with 2 pc. rotors go to NAPA and pick up vented blanks.

He may have meant solid vs. vented rotors. In that consideration, yes, get vented.

Also, yes, companies like AP Racing will provide a solution that has some form of grooving for track based rotors and pads.

However, if you aren't going to the track and aren't burnishing your brakes, I don't think that is warranted. Plenty of low budget racers do well on vented, blank rotors. Having a nice 2pc to get heat away from the hub or bearing would be the real next step or problem to solve.

Sample Reason Cross Drilled is not typically used:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBC
The image below was sent to us by a customer who had purchased EBC Brake pads and BELIEVED he was also buying genuine EBC Brake rotors.

Unfortunately these are a fake and a very dangerous fake.
These rotors are THROUGH DRILLED or CROSS DRILLED which EBC DOES NOT MANUFACTURE and strongly recommends against for numerous reasons. First of all you can see that striped or banding is already appearing after this short driving period which is typical of a brake rotor where the drill holes do not “Overlap” leaving uneven areas of the brake rotor surface contacted by the brake pads. This eventually would lead to “Ribbing” or ridges developing on the rotor which causes poor brake contact and further down the road, when new pads are again fitted they will take an age to bed in UNLESS you turn the rotors back to a flat surface condition.
Second amateur rotor drilling companies may not take the time to ensure that their drill holes fall into the vent pockets in the rotor which are between the two faces of the brake rotor. If these THROUGH DRILLED HOLES are drilled right through into the support vanes in the rotor core this will GREATLY weaken the structural strength of the rotor. Even IF the supplier does manage to take the time to locate the through drilled holes to fall into the vent pockets between the vane supports it has been seen on many occasions that cracks develop around the through drilled holes as shown here. Eventually the rotor cracks and will very likely suffer a catastrophic failure.
For this reason EBC Brakes does not supply or recommend THROUGH DRILLED ROTORS and always supplies carefully designed dimple drilled rotors. In over 15 years selling sport rotors EBC Brakes has not suffered ONE SINGLE FAILURE of its sport rotor products.
Buyers should be aware of people selling carefully worded sales pitches such as “EBC Pads and sport rotors” which tends to suggest BOTH products are of EBC origin. The appropriate wording here would be “EBC Pads and Genuine EBC made sport rotors”
If you have any doubts that you are being supplied genuine EBC Brakes products contact EBC Brakes immediately for an opinion on warranty@ebcbrakes.com
Reference: https://ebcbrakes.com/articles/dange...rilled-rotors/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dowroa For This Useful Post:
batlwagn (02-12-2018), Icecreamtruk (11-09-2017), Tristor (02-28-2018)
Old 11-09-2017, 01:14 PM   #45
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
All aftermarket brake manufacturers offer drilled rotors aswell mostly for one reason imho. - Because customers buy them.
Very same customers that watched fast & furious & played need for speed too much, those that choose, i kid you not, brakes just to have painted calipers and/or known brake caliper branding on them, those that are ready to retrofit brakes that are known to make braking worse and less reliable for branding sake only, because it's cheaper then "native kits". Ones, that choose coilovers by their paint color. Demand drives offer, ya know? Luckily very few of those customers actually take those cars with shiny uber BBKs on track, as such brake kits are bought for filling empty space in very big diameter wheels with some bling, not to solve some performance issue, and for just daily driving with light braking drilled rotors can serve too.
As for from those, that actually track, i often seen advise to get blanks or slotted, not drilled, for reliability reasons. Track is last place where one should try to compromise reliability of brakes for whichever reasons. Rather place where extra reliability won't hurt due much higher abuse.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
86 South Africa (11-09-2017), DAEMANO (01-16-2018), dowroa (11-09-2017), Icecreamtruk (11-09-2017), JazzleSAURUS (11-09-2017), Tristor (02-28-2018)
Old 11-09-2017, 01:26 PM   #46
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Well the McLaren P1 doesn't need drilled rotors but my stock BRZ does.

(Sarcasm. Drilled rotors are for bling and stance boys who want to pretend they have a racecar.)
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JazzleSAURUS For This Useful Post:
Boris_Petrov (06-08-2019), chaoskaze (12-30-2017), Tristor (02-28-2018)
Old 11-09-2017, 03:45 PM   #47
86 South Africa
POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drives: White Toyota 86 (Scion FRs)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowroa View Post
Incorrect. No one who goes to the track gets drilled rotors. Simply, they are weakness and hotpoints that crack. If you want me to list references to that, I am more than happy to bury you with that information.

Drilled in mostly for aesthetics only. Yes, OEMs have them. Yes, they die quickly. Yes, all track rats that don't go BBK with 2 pc. rotors go to NAPA and pick up vented blanks.

He may have meant solid vs. vented rotors. In that consideration, yes, get vented.

Also, yes, companies like AP Racing will provide a solution that has some form of grooving for track based rotors and pads.

However, if you aren't going to the track and aren't burnishing your brakes, I don't think that is warranted. Plenty of low budget racers do well on vented, blank rotors. Having a nice 2pc to get heat away from the hub or bearing would be the real next step or problem to solve.

Quoting a fake EBC rotor doesn’t help...

But you get the point. I’m not debating tracking vs road or slotted vs drilled. I’m simply saying that for any quality after market kit a blank vs slotted reliability argument is nonsense.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:27 PM   #48
churchx

Hmm. it was blank or slotted vs drilled, not blank vs slotted. Please be a bit more attentious reading others' posts. Imho slotting doesn't compromise reliability as much as drilling, and some may wish impact on brake modulation from those.
If you don't believe anything that is said here in forum .. how about statements by brembo? Check pros/cons for different types, and then think for yourself, if pros/cons of drilled disk fits well HPDE/track use, even more so that many that are buying BBK with track use in mind, do so 1) to enable longer sessions or enable bleeding off faster speeds due forced induction by offering more heat capacity, 2) to save on wearables.
Arguably drilled might fit auto-X, no? In sense like cheater tires RE71 fit. But if car will be dual-used for DD aswell .. i'm not sure i'd wish for much increased wear. Yeah, i know, i'm cheap.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:34 PM   #49
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSheep View Post
Anyone think they Wedssport TC105n in 17x9+35 would clear these brakes?
I can now answer. They clear.

jmark (12-23-2017)
Old 12-28-2017, 02:28 AM   #50
azndave1

Drives: none
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Does anyone know if Enkei RS05RR 18x8.5 ET 42mm will clear?
Old 12-28-2017, 04:31 PM   #51
CortJester24

Drives: 2017
Any idea if stock MY12-16 OEM wheels will clear the brembos in the rear? Looking for cheap drift spares.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:26 AM   #52
shafted

Drives: N/A
Garage
Does anyone know if the TRD rims will clear the subaru ppkg brembos?
Old 01-16-2018, 08:12 AM   #53
wsites

Drives: 08 STI|15 BRZ|95 L Coupe
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowroa View Post

Yet plenty of OEMs offer drilled brake discs.. Porsche offers them on the GT3 RS, Ferrari on the 488 GTB, so on and so forth... So maybe this can be an issue with poorly designed/manufactured discs but I'm having a hard time believing it's as prolific an issue as you claim... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Kit provides moar pawar
Kit needs engine build to support moar pawar.
People call it fault
Old 01-16-2018, 08:36 AM   #54
churchx

Plenty of OEMs .. that are narrow niche upmarket supercar makers. All cars made by them make tiny-tiny fraction from all the "normal cars" millions out there, they charge for their low-volume cars (and OEM parts of those) so much that they can afford use much higher quality materials/part sources and so on, and don't let car review tv programs fool you with wrong impression, supercars rarely get actually used on track, more for posing to show off owner's status & wealth, but there, for daily driving non-track abuse those disks are safe enough to use.

These mentioned "plenty of oems" make great case of 'exception that proves the rule', hence i don't get how that can be applied to our budget cars. Reminds me of one poster on this forum, that with all seriousness argued about his setup/tuning choices, reasoning with "they do this way on F1".
Old 01-19-2018, 02:01 PM   #55
BlaineWasHere
Grip>Drift

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,749 Times in 918 Posts
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Do the 17x9 et35 Weds TC105N fit?
Old 01-19-2018, 05:15 PM   #56
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere View Post
Do the 17x9 et35 Weds TC105N fit?
Yes. I posted a picture somewhere ^, like 6 posts before you asked.

Closed Thread