follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 10-24-2016, 09:10 PM   #1
86King

Drives: FR-S Monogram
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Help!! OFT Error message

"An error occurred while reading data from DME. Please try again."

Ignition is full on not just accessory (engine off). Bought the car used.

Eveytime I go to read, it gives me this message ("An error occurred while reading data from DME. Please try again"). Drove the car for over 20 minutes, so battery should be charged?

Thanks!
86King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:12 PM   #2
sroby

Drives: 2015 Firestorm 08/05/15
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
86king, My oft did the same thing a while back, I called Shiv, he answered on the 2nd ring, I told him what happened. He said it simply needed to be calibrated. He told me to use a stylist not my fingers when calibrating it. I did this and I did not receive anymore error coded. I hope this helps. Regards Steve
sroby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:17 PM   #3
86King

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroby View Post
86king, My oft did the same thing a while back, I called Shiv, he answered on the 2nd ring, I told him what happened. He said it simply needed to be calibrated. He told me to use a stylist not my fingers when calibrating it. I did this and I did not receive anymore error coded. I hope this helps. Regards Steve
oh okay, will try that right now.

Thanks
Old 10-24-2016, 11:23 PM   #4
86King

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroby View Post
Just gave it a try. No luck
Old 10-25-2016, 03:48 AM   #5
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Its possible your car has had a locked Ecutek or BrzEdit tune written to the ecu.

Instead of trying to read ecu see if the oft ECU INFO , or the diagnosstic logging functions work ie go to diagnostics then look at the engine parameters.

If the ecu info can be read like the calibration id and you can log or see engine info on screen like rpm throttle afr etc then its most likey a locked tune in ecu and oft is fine.

of you cannpt even read ecu info or engine logging or diagnostics then its likey the obd port is bad or cable to oft is bad.

one more thing you can try is disconnect battery then press brake pedal, then reconnect battery.

This will reset ecu and may sort problem out.

If you have a locked tune , most likey ecutek, you going to have to find or go to someone who has ecutek cavle or an ecutek tuner. then will be able to unlock ecu for you by writing back a stock tune, good news would be you have a $350 ecutek licience in ecu.

of so it may be better to sell oft and get ecutek tune, but thats up to you.

if its brzedit ie not even the ecutek guy can read then you going to need to fine a brzedit guy.

or alternativly buy a secondhand ecu and swap it in
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
86King (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 05:40 AM   #6
86King

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post

Instead of trying to read ecu see if the oft ECU INFO , or the diagnosstic logging functions work ie go to diagnostics then look at the engine parameters...
Will try this.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:47 AM   #7
86King

"If you have a locked tune , most likey ecutek, you going to have to find or go to someone who has ecutek cavle or an ecutek tuner. then will be able to unlock ecu for you by writing back a stock tune, good news would be you have a $350 ecutek licience in ecu."

There isn't a tune on the car right now (at least I don't think), so that can mean that it was previously tuned with ECUTEK and then was flashed back to stock... then why is the lisence still on it? I'm kind of confused. If the Lisence is still on it then it wasn't reflashed to stock So then there is a tune already?
Old 10-25-2016, 06:14 AM   #8
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86King View Post
"If you have a locked tune , most likey ecutek, you going to have to find or go to someone who has ecutek cavle or an ecutek tuner. then will be able to unlock ecu for you by writing back a stock tune, good news would be you have a $350 ecutek licience in ecu."

There isn't a tune on the car right now (at least I don't think), so that can mean that it was previously tuned with ECUTEK and then was flashed back to stock... then why is the lisence still on it? I'm kind of confused. If the Lisence is still on it then it wasn't reflashed to stock So then there is a tune already?

if they flashed it to stock with ecutek then oft should read ecu, but the ecutek licience is still embedded in ecu, if its still tuned with ecutek then oft wont read and licience is still in ecu

see here

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106068

86King (12-16-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 06:17 AM   #9
steve99
Banned

If oft diagnostic logging works but you cannot read ecu it mostlikey due to previous tune locking ecu

but try the battery removal just in case ecu is in weird state, sometimes it works

most ecutek tunes will havecmultiple maps.

with car running and cruise control OFF, pull cruise stalk toward you, if tacometer jumps to 1000,2000,3000 or 4000 rpm you definitly have ecutek tune
86King (12-16-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 05:11 PM   #10
86King

Can the dealer reflash it back to stock?
Old 12-16-2016, 05:27 PM   #11
Chronology

Drives: 13' Satin White Pearl BRZ
Quote:
They will more then likely charge you.

Best bet, find a tuner who can tell you if/what its locked with. Like others have said if its ECUTek, the car may have the "base/stock" tune put back, but now a ECUTek lic is tied to the ECU ID.

On the flip side, find someone who wants to go ECUTek and do a cash+ECU swap with them. Swapping ECU's takes longer to remove the bolts then the actual swap.
RS*R Sport-I w/custom spring rate / Cusco Front/Rear Sways, Cusco Diff Brace / Cusco Power Brace (Rear/Front/Upper/Lower) / JDL UEL Headers / INVIDIA Q300 Ti / Valenti Revo Tails and rear backup/ EcuTek / Moto-East Flexfuel / Moto-East E85 tune
Chronology is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chronology For This Useful Post:
86King (12-21-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 10:37 PM   #12
steve99
Banned

Quote:

If its got a locked ecutek or brzedit tune in ecu then NO dealer wont be able to flash it they will then assme ecu is bad and replace the ecu which will cost a lot of money.

ecutek tuners can talk to ecutek in uk and get them to remotly remove brzedit locks on ecu, but i think they will want you to purchase an ecutek licience before they do it.

also before you try anything else remove battery terminal for 30 minutes to reset ecu.
the try oft on first turn on of ignition after battery reconnected

Last edited by steve99; 12-17-2016 at 01:47 AM.
86King (12-21-2016)
Old 12-21-2016, 07:30 PM   #13
86King

After speaking with the person who tuned the car, I can confirm that it was tuned with ecutek, for a Catless JDL UEL Header (exact header I'm planning to install). But I don't believe it was flashed back to stock.

So I have been driving a stock car with a tune on it... great

I was planning to go OFT (already purchased it), but if I decide to stay with ECUTEK, do I need to update my tune, because I've been driving stock? I was also filling up shell 91 before the tuner told me to go chevron 94.

Would a tuner be able to put it completely back to stock? If so, how much do you think they would charge for something like that?

The car is still under warranty until February 2017.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:31 PM   #14
86King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronology View Post
They will more then likely charge you.

Best bet, find a tuner who can tell you if/what its locked with. Like others have said if its ECUTek, the car may have the "base/stock" tune put back, but now a ECUTek lic is tied to the ECU ID.

On the flip side, find someone who wants to go ECUTek and do a cash+ECU swap with them. Swapping ECU's takes longer to remove the bolts then the actual swap.
Is it as easy as just unbolting it and bolting a new one on?