follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 08-05-2016, 01:52 PM   #15
AdrianSaldana
That Guy

Drives: Fast and Hard
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR600RR View Post
When I say "bike" I mean my Honda CBR600RR. and the point of splitting lanes at a traffic light is to get out front and zip away from traffic. Its safer for me and safer for other drivers. Plus it removes me from traffic; therefore, alleviating traffic congestion (very minutely)

Same goes for stop and go traffic.

I get the sense that you thought I was talking about a cyclist, if so I agree. A cyclist has no need to be out front when the light turns green. They would just be putting themselves in more danger I think.
words of a rider

DD: 2007 Suzuki Sv650
Weekend Car: 1969 Chevelle
Summer/Weekend Car: 2014 BRZ
AdrianSaldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 01:52 PM   #16
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR600RR View Post
When I say "bike" I mean my Honda CBR600RR. and the point of splitting lanes at a traffic light is to get out front and zip away from traffic. Its safer for me and safer for other drivers. Plus it removes me from traffic; therefore, alleviating traffic congestion (very minutely)

Same goes for stop and go traffic.

I get the sense that you thought I was talking about a cyclist, if so I agree. A cyclist has no need to be out front when the light turns green. They would just be putting themselves in more danger I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
Ostensibly it's for the biker's safety and decluttering of traffic flow. Because people don't look around when they're sitting in traffic and inching forward, bikes in the line of cars can get hit. And since they can depart so much quicker than most cars, they should get out in front where they're away from dumbass drivers and at less risk of being overlooked and run over.

Also for cooling. An air cooled motorcycle or water cooled motorcycle with a tiny radiator and no fan sitting in traffic on the 405 in Los Angeles will overheat very quickly. And if the rider is wearing all their gear like they're supposed to, they'll overheat quickly as well. It gets HOT just sitting on a freeway under the sun.
I wasn't talking about cyclists but the reasoning is sound. Thanks
Old 08-05-2016, 02:02 PM   #17
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I wasn't talking about cyclists but the reasoning is sound. Thanks
Oh, I thought this was a motorcycle thread. Cyclists need to think of their safety first instead of thinking they have just as much right to be on the road as cars do, or their headstones will read "At least I had right-of-way." No amount of smug superiority is going to stop a car in a blind corner when you're going 40 mph under the speed limit.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
justatroll (08-07-2016), soulreapersteve (08-05-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 02:02 PM   #18
iamjacob
insert witty quip here

Drives: 2016 Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I split lanes anytime the freeway backs up and I always follow the CHP recommendations. No more than 10mph faster than traffic, going no faster than 30mph.

I'm in no huge rush to get where I'm going but being rear-ended on the freeway on a motorcycle is on the list of things I want to avoid in life. I am also a big proponent of ATGATT.

It will be interesting to see what the CHP comes up with as their new recommendations if governor Brown signs the splitting bill that just made it through the assembly 69-0.

Oh and just so everyone knows, per the CHP, "Intentionally blocking or impeding a motorcyclist in a way that could cause harm to the rider is illegal (CVC 22400)." If you swerve to hit a motorcyclist that is splitting traffic you are breaking the law. You also will have a very bad day if you open a door into a motorcycle splitting traffic, the combined weight of me and my small bike is over 500lbs. You will lose a door and possibly have a motorcycle in your lap, and if I can get back up, a broken nose.
iamjacob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to iamjacob For This Useful Post:
AdrianSaldana (08-05-2016), gramicci101 (08-05-2016), strat61caster (08-12-2016), Swagopopotamus (08-05-2016), Tcoat (08-05-2016), tyrantcf (08-09-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 03:11 PM   #19
Swagopopotamus

Drives: Not an FRS, but same initials.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacob View Post
I split lanes anytime the freeway backs up and I always follow the CHP recommendations. No more than 10mph faster than traffic.
This right here. Lane splitting is safe at freeway speeds when the speed differential is kept below 15Mph. Berkeley even did a study on it and found that overall speed was not much of a factor.

I fully support lane splitting within the guidelines above, and just like the rest of you am irked by the clown who barrels through completely stopped traffic at 50Mph wearing a tank top and flip flops.

Also, keep in mind that a 5-10 Mph difference seems greater than it is. So many times that motorbike is not moving at the break neck speeds you are presuming. Just stay calm and enjoy your air conditioned cage, and enjoy the schadenfreude of knowing that guy has a hot engine between his legs and is sweating his balls off.
Swagopopotamus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swagopopotamus For This Useful Post:
iamjacob (08-05-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 03:15 PM   #20
iamjacob
insert witty quip here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagopopotamus View Post
Also, keep in mind that a 5-10 Mph difference seems greater than it is. So many times that motorbike is not moving at the break neck speeds you are presuming.

There's also usually a lot more room between cars than you think.
The Following User Says Thank You to iamjacob For This Useful Post:
Swagopopotamus (08-05-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 03:21 PM   #21
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagopopotamus View Post
Just stay calm and enjoy your air conditioned cage, and enjoy the schadenfreude of knowing that guy has a hot engine between his legs and is sweating his balls off.
He chose to have that hot engine between his legs. He could be in an air conditioned "cage" like everybody else. I feel no sympathy for self imposed hardship.
justatroll (08-07-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 03:40 PM   #22
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Lane splitting is, like all on-road motorcycle riding, tantamount to suicide. I move over for splitters to give them more room, when I see them. I don't sit in traffic checking my side mirrors, though. Everybody's always jockeying for position in traffic, so it's just a dangerous for a motorcyclist to be.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-05-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 03:51 PM   #23
Toyarzee
Shibby!

Drives: '14 White FR-S, '01 turbo mini taco
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I understand lane splitting is legal in CA, but what about when traffic is moving 70 mph+ and biker is doing 80+, while switching in between lanes and swerving around cars with no turn signal. Had a motorcycle cop tell me that's mostly legal and acceptable... (dafuq?)
Toyarzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 04:03 PM   #24
iamjacob
insert witty quip here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
Lane splitting is, like all on-road motorcycle riding, tantamount to suicide.
No, it's not. Lane splitting has actually been found safer than sitting in traffic waiting to be rear-ended. See the Hurt Report and other studies.

Quote:
I move over for splitters to give them more room, when I see them. I don't sit in traffic checking my side mirrors, though. Everybody's always jockeying for position in traffic, so it's just a dangerous for a motorcyclist to be.
Riders appreciate it and I will give a wave if i can. Lane splitting is not required and the onus is on the rider to do it safely. Typically there is more than enough room to "lane share" which is the technical name, without drivers needing to move over, if there isn't the rider should wait.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:11 PM   #25
iamjacob
insert witty quip here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyarzee View Post
I understand lane splitting is legal in CA, but what about when traffic is moving 70 mph+ and biker is doing 80+, while switching in between lanes and swerving around cars with no turn signal. Had a motorcycle cop tell me that's mostly legal and acceptable... (dafuq?)
The example that you use would most likely earn the rider a ticket in may ways, speeding, failing to indicate, unsafe operation of a motor vehicle. Lane sharing in CA is not specifically outlawed like it is in almost every other state. It is up to an officers discretion if the rider is breaking any laws.

Don't get me wrong, a portion of riders out there are total douches, just like there are a portion of 86ers out there that are the same. Just don't treat an entire group a certain way just because you have had a few bad experiences.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:14 PM   #26
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
No, it's not. Lane splitting has actually been found safer than sitting in traffic waiting to be rear-ended. See the Hurt Report and other studies.
I hear about drivers cutting in front of bikes, both oncoming and going away, but I rarely hear about bikes getting rear ended. Maybe I'm not paying attention?
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:42 PM   #27
Toyarzee
Shibby!

Drives: '14 White FR-S, '01 turbo mini taco
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
The example that you use would most likely earn the rider a ticket in may ways, speeding, failing to indicate, unsafe operation of a motor vehicle. Lane sharing in CA is not specifically outlawed like it is in almost every other state. It is up to an officers discretion if the rider is breaking any laws.

Don't get me wrong, a portion of riders out there are total douches, just like there are a portion of 86ers out there that are the same. Just don't treat an entire group a certain way just because you have had a few bad experiences.
It's somewhat ironic, because I could usually give a shit about lane sharing when it comes to driving on a freeway. As long as you don't impede my driving and the flow of traffic, you do what you gotta do. Albeit that's the only place that gives rise to concern on the common topic.

However, what I really don't like is a biker trying to stumble through a line-up of cars at a stoplight. When we are not moving and don't have the ability to give you more room, I don't want to see you try to squeeze a several-hundred pound bike between mirrors and dent the shit out of my car because your either impatient, untalented, or both.

I get that you want to gtfo and away from harm, but don't we all... I second the opinion of @jsimon7777 where I doubt the danger of rear ending a motorcycle in a line of traffic at a light.
Toyarzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:41 PM   #28
iamjacob
insert witty quip here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
I hear about drivers cutting in front of bikes, both oncoming and going away, but I rarely hear about bikes getting rear ended. Maybe I'm not paying attention?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyarzee View Post
It's somewhat ironic, because I could usually give a shit about lane sharing when it comes to driving on a freeway. As long as you don't impede my driving and the flow of traffic, you do what you gotta do. Albeit that's the only place that gives rise to concern on the common topic.

However, what I really don't like is a biker trying to stumble through a line-up of cars at a stoplight. When we are not moving and don't have the ability to give you more room, I don't want to see you try to squeeze a several-hundred pound bike between mirrors and dent the shit out of my car because your either impatient, untalented, or both.

I get that you want to gtfo and away from harm, but don't we all... I second the opinion of @jsimon7777 where I doubt the danger of rear ending a motorcycle in a line of traffic at a light.

Maybe neither of you are a part of a larger riding community. I know of several people that have been rear-ended on motorcycles. Some got away with a damaged bike, a few didn't get away or will never walk again.
It happens. It also happens less in CA, a state with one of the largest percentage of riders it has one of the lowest rates for rear-end collisions.

http://www.ridetowork.org/files/docs...CLE_SAFETY.pdf

The way I see it, it's a trade off. I get to split traffic and filter to the front which is completely legal for me to do. I also get home faster and enjoy my commute, not to mention I get great gas mileage. The flip side is I place myself in greater danger from distracted drivers and possible death.

I try and be an ambassador to the non-riding by following most of the rules of the road and am courteous when sharing lanes and splitting traffic. I've never bumped or dented a car from any of my motorcycling activities.

I'd also be willing to wager that you've used the side of the road to pass cars to turn right at a corner. It's the same thing.

Most people are just jealous they have to sit in traffic and bikes don't.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iamjacob For This Useful Post:
Toyarzee (08-05-2016), tyrantcf (08-07-2016)