follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 11-26-2020, 11:32 PM   #1
therealstoly

Drives: 2020 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ALL* the Cusco bracing - A Review

*except for the following:
960 492 SP Power Brace - Seat Rail (Don't conceptually understand how these braces would be beneficial)
965 492 TP Power Brace - Rear Trunk (Was concerned with sharing the same needed space with the OEM+ Audio system wiring harness. Looks like it would fit but would be redundant and there is no desire on my part to tear everything apart to put this brace in.)
965 492 RL Power Brace - Rear Lateral (A 'maybe' for a later date as it really would be in conjunction with the suspension more than the chassis)

In conjunction with...
'20 BRZ PP
STi short shifter
Eibach Sport Springs w/ OEM Sachs
RCE sway bars
Eibach adj end links
17x 8 RPF1
235/45 Toyo Proxes R1R

There's just something about a slow car fast and coming from the world of Miatae, I knew I wanted to invest some time and money on the chassis. I was, at times, surprised at the lack of threads with actual feedback on chassis bracing and was, more often than not, embarrassed to be an owner of a BRZ with the massive volume of I-don't-have-it-so-its-worthless type responses. Placebo. A metric fuckton of bystanders declaring, as a statement of fact no less, that any and all benefits from any and all bracing were a figment of the imagination.

I thought I'd challenge the notion and since there wasn't a guide of sorts to use, I bought them all.

My playground:
Santa Cruz mountains between San Jose and Santa Cruz. I live in the foothills and am about 10 miles from the highway. My road is a single lane dead end at the end of a two lane dead end road. A test lab, if you will. My drive to the highway has elevation changes, apex changes, washboard sections of road, hairpins, odd angles, even odder pavement, and in general a good way to know quickly if something actually made a difference.

If you're on the east coast, take the mindset of improvements you'd want to make to time attack Tail of the Dragon.

For Texans, think Twisted Sisters.

Baseline:
Bought my '20 new and installed all of the parts before the first oil change. I wanted to be as fair as possible so I wasn't stiffening up a part of the vehicle that had 50,000 miles of worn out bushings before installation.

IMPORTANT:
I've struggled a bit with how to put this so bear with me. Think of a washboard section of road or going over a bad set of tracks. Maybe a joint in the highway at a bridge. Where you hit it and it just feels and sounds like the car is going to fall apart. You're checking the headliner to make sure it didn't rattle and fall down. There is that tinny sound of rattles in that moment. Everything vibrates and shakes. You swear you can now hear the fuel lid release lever rattle when you make left hand turns. If you can agree that all cars have that, regardless of age/mileage, then using that as the baseline will at least give you a tangible baseline.

NOTE:
I intentionally installed all of these in the order I'm reviewing them with about 2000 miles added to the car since the last component was installed.

The Reviews

965 540 AMLHD
965 492 ERB
Front Strut Tower Brace with master cylinder brace and the non-adjustable Power Brace - Engine Bay.
Both of these are very easy to install and I installed them at the same time.
-Noticeable difference in corners and especially in the washboard sections of road. Quieted the road bump noise down some and there was an overall improvement in how the car behaves.
- Having a MC brace greatly improves brake pedal feel.

965 541 A
Rear Strut Tower Brace
Takes a bit of trimming to get it to fit and I never reinstalled my BRZ rubber trunk mat post installation. Not hard to do but does take a bit longer to install than the front STB.
- Similar to the front STB in improving cornering behaviour especially on less than ideal pavement surfaces.
- Noticeably less of the tinny clanking and a much more planted feeling when accelerating out of a corner.

10/10 - Would recommend adding STBs

965 492 RP
Power Brace - C-Pillar
Pre-cut covers from SubiSpeed
I will gladly admit that this was one of those purchases with nearly zero expectations but as a Cusco fan, I wanted it. It looks cool, in my opinion, and in the spirit of getting all of them, I included it.
NOTE: The Cusco instructions do have a diagram with measurements showing you where to cut the plastic trim pieces. The Cusco measurements, if followed, will give you a rectangle shaped hole. There is a significant amount of the interior that has to come out to install this piece and I didn't want to have any reason to not be able to start and finish the same day so I bought the pre-drilled (round hole) plastic covers from SubiSpeed.
NOTE!: There are two spacers and a washer when you unbolt the rear seat belt assembly. (This is the bolt used for the mount) If you aren't careful, you can easily drop some/all of these into the abyss and end up with rattles. It's the opposite of fun to install given the small spaces. Not hard, just awkward.
- Not much in the way of any noticeable gains from the addition of this bar.

965 492 RE
Power Brace - Rear End (behind the rear bumper)
The truth about this one... I wasn't going to include it. I conceptually don't understand how any bracing beyond the wheel base would be beneficial. That said, it looked like I could install this as I was installing the new exhaust without taking off the rear bumper. I was almost right. You can get the nuts out, shimmy the brace up there, and then you'll have to take the bumper off anyway in order to tighten the hardware back down.
- Another one that didn't add any noticeable gains.

10/10 for C-Pillar aesthetics and 2/10 function for both of these braces in conjunction with the rear strut tower bar

Shifting my focus to the front half of the vehicle...
965 492 FM
Power Brace - Front Member
965 492 FP
Power Brace - Front Lower Arms Version 2
965 026 A (and Whiteline poly bushings)
Power Brace - Steering Rack
All of these were installed at the same time and whoa... aside from the STBs, these provided the biggest improvements to the front of the vehicle.
- There were actually a few useful comments about stiffening up and/or bracing the steering rack and swapping the rubber bushings with poly bushings and adding the steering rack bracing made a significant improvement to the steering in both driver input and how the vehicle communicates with the driver. I was concerned with this over correcting, if you will and with no pun intended, and make the steering twitchy and/or difficult to just go in a straight line. Nothing could be further from the truth. Just did a trip to Reno and back and even on the old rutted backroads, the steering was quick, responsive, and as an upgrade, all good. No bad.
- The combination of the front braces also made a huge improvement and has eliminated all the clunks/rattles/et al in the front end. There are a few joints in the Los Gatos area that always made me cringe and the front end is a lot more planted on the road and much more forgiving over less than ideal road conditions.

10/10 - Would recommend all three of these

965 912 A
Transmission Collar Brace
Including this in my review as there isn't a lot of actual feedback on the give and take between any transmission bracing and NVH. As an aside, I'd previously installed the Perrin poly rear shifter bushing and it didn't make a whole lot of difference. This did.
- Here's the best I can describe the added NVH with the tranny collar brace. Put any manual car in reverse and go do 12MPH in reverse. That 'reverse whine' we all know is the NVH added in all the gears. The slower you are going the more noticeable it is. By the time you are up to highway speeds it is nearly impossible to distinguish.
- That little bit of whine in the lower gears is worth it, in my opinion, as the brace does add a lot of positive feel in the shifts.

8/10 - Would recommend

965 492 RS
Power Brace - Rear Sides
692 492 RM
Power Brace - Rear Member
Installed at the same time. And this is where I foresee a splintering of the crowd into at least two camps. If you don't have the rear side braces, you owe it to yourself to make the investment. I didn't know what to expect, if anything, and am completely impressed.
- Again, I've had the chance to put a lot of miles post install but the difference was felt immediately. I've struggled a bit on how to describe the effects.
- If you're a 'car guy' or 'car gal', you have known since the day you were born how and why there are differences in HP at the crank and at the wheels. This is just a fact and is never even questioned or debated.
- I'm going to say this now and then repeat myself again to give everyone a fair shake at not misunderstanding me. Okay. The Power Brace doesn't add power but does eliminate some of the inefficiencies between your right foot and the rubber on the road. Best comparison I can make is to imagine being able to get more of the original crank horsepower to the wheels.
EXAMPLE: From my exit up Bear Creek Road, there is an uphill hard right with most of the corner being a washboard. We've all driven on similar pavement. Appling power in the corner always came with some amount of wheel hop, if you will, and the awful rattling about as the car tries to readjust itself in the shitty paved corner and get the power you're begging for to the ground. These braces eliminate all of that. No more rattles, shakes, and/or wheel hop.
- Again. I am in no way implying that the power brace adds power or any other such nonsense. It does significantly improve the application of power to the road and does a hell of a job combating washboard roads and other imperfections in the road. Even non aggressive acceleration is improved and smoother.
- One more time for the people in the back glossing over the actual words being typed. This does not add power. It does a hell of a job making the application of power more efficient.
- As it relates to the rear member brace... again, after the rear STB, and with the rear side braces, it's tough to distinguish any benefits with the rear member brace.

152/10 on the rear side braces and 5/10 on the rear member brace. Buy the rear side power braces immediately; if not sooner.

Overall:
The combination of all of these has greatly improved the feel of the vehicle. All of the snare drum sounds, if you will, when hitting railroad tracks are now a light tap of the bass drum. More thuds than tinging.

Improved handling? In and of themselves, yes and no. And maybe this is where people get themselves in the ER after an overdose of placebo. My car is more planted, has a lot less vibrations over imperfections, with a huge improvement in applying power to the road, and is much more responsive in the corners.

There is always going to be some degree of human interpretation but I don't think it's fair to just chalk up everything to a placebo effect and a waste of money. I'll point out something I've never seen anyone else mention. Predictability. Let's say the hater's are right and on a graph showing before/after there is no difference. One key takeaway I've experienced in the last couple thousand miles is how much the predictability of the car's behaviour has narrowed.

We've all come into a corner too hot. You know how your car is going to behave when you correct your error. Throw in some gravel and your equation changes. Apex tightens and the corner is now washboard. Your equation to solve the situation again changes. There is a huge improvement in how predictable my car is in any situation. The variations in how to solve the equation of coming into a corner too hot are greatly reduced. I don't have to recalculate for the washboard as I'm not going to have to factor in the wheel hop and bounce.

This all began by hoping I'd find reviews and be able to piece together the right combination of parts and pieces. Alas, to no avail. That said, this has been a fun project to take on in the midst of a pandemic and I have tried to be as objective as I can be.

My recommended combination:
- Front STB w/ BCS
- Rear STB
- Power Brace - Front Lower Arms (V2)
- Power Brace - Front Member
- Power Brace - Rear Member Side
- Power Brace - Steering Rack (with poly bushings)
- Tranny collar brace if you are okay with a little bit of NVH.

I have a few pictures but this is probably already a very long post and a picture of a brace isn't exactly exciting to see.

Last edited by therealstoly; 11-27-2020 at 04:40 AM.
therealstoly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to therealstoly For This Useful Post:
Celica00 (12-03-2020), Cephas (11-29-2020), Compelica (11-30-2020), CounterSpace Garage (11-27-2020), Drifter X (11-27-2020), Ernest72 (12-01-2020), Hostile_Kittens (01-23-2021), Jdmjunkie (11-27-2020), NLSP (11-27-2020), Ohio Enthusiast (11-27-2020), omegared19 (11-30-2020), Plumbus (11-29-2020), PulsarBeeerz (12-02-2020), RToyo86 (11-30-2020), snuff58 (12-03-2020), SP86 (12-06-2020), Thefalls (11-28-2020), Tomm (12-02-2020), Wally86 (12-07-2020), weederr33 (11-29-2020)
Old 11-27-2020, 07:03 AM   #2
NLSP

Drives: 2014 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thank you for the thorough reviews on all the braces. I totally understand what you mean when you say it's hard to explain all the positive effects of these parts. I was also met with criticism in another thread, which is always from people who have never actually tried these parts on their car, of course.

I pretty much have all the parts you recommended, minus the rear STB:

- TRD front strut tower brace
- TRD underbody braces (front lower arms, front member to steering rack, and rear member)
- TRD door stabilizers
- TRD steering rack bushings
- Beatrush master cylinder brace

And as reference, my suspension is MeisterR ZetaCRD coilovers (F: 5kg/mm, R: 4kg/mm).

To agree and add to what you've said, the sum of these parts provide a greater sense of control, steering feel and fun if you care more about the driving experience rather than measurable numbers. The car simply feels sharper, more solid and planted. And as a bonus, they help with uneven pavement feel a little less crashy (more refined).
NLSP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NLSP For This Useful Post:
therealstoly (11-27-2020)
Old 11-27-2020, 07:10 AM   #3
NLSP

Also, I'm surprised the OEM Audio+ (which I also have) wasn't in the way of the rear STB. Do you have a photo?
Old 11-27-2020, 08:31 AM   #4
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Wonderful post, thanks for sharing!

Did you try any of the bushings/inserts other than the Perrin rear trans bushing? A lot of what you're describing in putting down the power is very similar to drive-train lash that's greatly improved with rear subframe inserts and diff inserts. Would be interesting to compare the two setups.

Also, how's the NVH with all these braces? You did touch on the impact of bumps, but what about driveline NVH, engine vibration or rattles?

Finally, not to dis on Cusco or your decision to go all in on this, but you're probably well into $1,500 on these braces, if not more. Are the changes worth the cost? Mostly comparing to bushings/inserts that are less than a quarter in price and also provide similar benefits (the aforementioned rear subframe inserts and diff inserts, as well as the various transmission bushings and inserts and the steering rack bushings).
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ohio Enthusiast For This Useful Post:
therealstoly (11-27-2020)
Old 11-27-2020, 01:31 PM   #5
therealstoly

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLSP View Post
Also, I'm surprised the OEM Audio+ (which I also have) wasn't in the way of the rear STB. Do you have a photo?
Thanks for the input on your experiences and what bracing you are using. I PM'd you a picture. OEMAudio+ now offers a pre-cut sub box to accommodate a Cusco rear STB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
Wonderful post, thanks for sharing!

Did you try any of the bushings/inserts other than the Perrin rear trans bushing? A lot of what you're describing in putting down the power is very similar to drive-train lash that's greatly improved with rear subframe inserts and diff inserts. Would be interesting to compare the two setups.

Also, how's the NVH with all these braces? You did touch on the impact of bumps, but what about driveline NVH, engine vibration or rattles?

Finally, not to dis on Cusco or your decision to go all in on this, but you're probably well into $1,500 on these braces, if not more. Are the changes worth the cost? Mostly comparing to bushings/inserts that are less than a quarter in price and also provide similar benefits (the aforementioned rear subframe inserts and diff inserts, as well as the various transmission bushings and inserts and the steering rack bushings).
I haven't done any replacement of bushings aside from the steering rack and rear shifter bushing. (As a technicality, my sway bars also have poly bushings.) My car has about 8000 miles on it and once I started this experiment I kinda had to stay the course to not blend results. I had a curiosity to see what bracing would do on its own and I do plan to do some upgrades to the bushings in the future which will give me a before/after with both braces and bushings. If I added both at the same time there would be blood in the streets as a civil war would've broken out between the Bushings and the Braces. I tried to ensure only one side would be able to be offended at my modifications this time around.

I should've pointed out that my theory was to go with the most common to the most obscure as I added the braces. And there was at least a hundred miles added between each installation. In fairness, I could've ended up with redundancy in the reverse order. If I'd added some of the underside rear bracing, or even the C-Pillar brace, before the rear STB, my review might state that the rear STB didn't add any significant gains. STBs are the most popular and can both be added without putting the car up in the air so I tackled them first and so on down the list.

I don't think any of the braces, in and of themselves, are worthless. I do think I proved that at some point the bracing becomes redundant and noticeable gains become less and less.

Was it worth it? Absolutely. Even with some of the benefits becoming redundant, I'd do it all over again; however, I'd stop after the braces I recommended. That combination improved the characteristics of the car the most without duplicating the benefits. (I like the looks of the C-Pillar brace so I'd add that too but it would be unfair to include it as a beneficial brace)

NVH? None. Aside from the tranny collar brace that comes with permanent 'reverse whine', the combination of bracing hasn't added any NVH. Crashy. That is a word I wish I would've used in my descriptions and as NLSP stated, with the bracing the car is a lot less crashy. The sum of all the parts provides an incredibly sturdy and firm chassis and my personal preferences tend to lean in that direction.

As always, your results may vary...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to therealstoly For This Useful Post:
Cephas (11-29-2020), DarkSunrise (12-02-2020), NLSP (11-27-2020), Ohio Enthusiast (11-27-2020)
Old 11-29-2020, 04:51 AM   #6
Plumbus
Señor Member

Drives: '17 BRZ PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealstoly View Post
redacted
Can't wait for you to try the poly bushings. I am starting with those and am definitely looking at the bracings you recommended once I save some greens.
Plumbus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Plumbus For This Useful Post:
therealstoly (11-29-2020)
Old 11-29-2020, 09:56 AM   #7
Cephas

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 (860 SE)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'd love to see photos as well, but thanks a bunch for the reviews. Answered a lot of questions I had!
Cephas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cephas For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2020, 12:33 PM   #8
Jdmjunkie

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 Series
Do any of the TRD braces cover the recommended locations? Great write up!
Jdmjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jdmjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2020, 05:19 PM   #9
therealstoly

Quote:
...I pretty much have all the parts you recommended, minus the rear STB:

- TRD front strut tower brace
- TRD underbody braces (front lower arms, front member to steering rack, and rear member)
- TRD door stabilizers
- TRD steering rack bushings
- Beatrush master cylinder brace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmjunkie View Post
Thanks! I don't have first hand knowledge about the TRD parts and pieces; however, NLSP's set-up is primarily TRD components and looks to address the same areas the Cusco components do; in addition to door stabilizers which I have nearly zero knowledge about. Not sure I've ever seen them as anything other than a TRD part and not something I've looked into. I'd hit up NLSP for info on those.
The Following User Says Thank You to therealstoly For This Useful Post:
NLSP (11-30-2020)
Old 11-29-2020, 05:36 PM   #10
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbus View Post
Can't wait for you to try the poly bushings. I am starting with those and am definitely looking at the bracings you recommended once I save some greens.
I have done a lot of poly on my 04 WRX and it handles great but the NVH is way up, so do your research. Group n hardened rubber could be a better option for some bushings.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ernest72 For This Useful Post:
therealstoly (11-30-2020)
Old 11-29-2020, 06:15 PM   #11
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
So would you consider NVH with to be acceptable with those rear side braces?
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 03:13 AM   #12
NLSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmjunkie View Post
- CUSCO's front lower arms are in the same location as the TRD's, but with an addition of a brace that goes across as well.

- CUSCO's front member brace is slightly different than the TRD's. One of the CUSCO mounting locations is on the subframe; TRD mounts on the steering rack. But the other side of the bars mount on the same subframe bracket location. CUSCO also has an additional brace that goes across.

- CUSCO's rear member side is very similar to the TRD. Both mount on the rear subframe where the LCA also connects. But the other side of the bars are mounted on slightly different locations.

Checkout the comparison photos below:
Attached Images

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to NLSP For This Useful Post:
Cephas (11-30-2020), Ernest72 (12-01-2020), Hostile_Kittens (01-23-2021), Jdmjunkie (11-30-2020), norcalpb (11-30-2020), Ohio Enthusiast (11-30-2020), omegared19 (11-30-2020), Plumbus (11-30-2020), Thefalls (12-01-2020), therealstoly (11-30-2020)
Old 11-30-2020, 12:16 PM   #13
therealstoly

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalpb View Post
So would you consider NVH with to be acceptable with those rear side braces?
With the exception of the slight introduction of NVH via the tranny brace, my opinion is that all of the bracing has reduced the NVH of the chassis. And of the three, the tranny brace only introduced a little bit of Noise i.e. the sound every manual makes in reverse is now a part of every gear, an ever so slight amount of Vibration at lower speeds in lower gears, and no Harshness.

The rear side braces, in my opinion, provide the most noticeable gains in how the vehicle performs versus how the vehicle behaves.

Looks like we are both in the Bay Area and if you want to meet up and drive mine to compare, let me know. Would be curious to get another opinion and have an instant comparison.
Yoniyama (01-08-2021)
Old 11-30-2020, 12:20 PM   #14
therealstoly

Quote:
- CUSCO's front lower arms are in the same location as the TRD's, but with an addition of a brace that goes across as well.

- CUSCO's front member brace is slightly different than the TRD's. One of the CUSCO mounting locations is on the subframe; TRD mounts on the steering rack. But the other side of the bars mount on the same subframe bracket location. CUSCO also has an additional brace that goes across.

- CUSCO's rear member side is very similar to the TRD. Both mount on the rear subframe where the LCA also connects. But the other side of the bars are mounted on slightly different locations.

Checkout the comparison photos below:
Thanks for notating the differences and comparison pictures!
NLSP (11-30-2020)