follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List
jpit

Old 04-14-2014, 07:28 PM   #4201
nelsmar

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 345 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahsbrah View Post
As with any mod there seems to be a lot of lovers and haters. I guess I'll see for myself!
More like find an actual dyno that shows AFR of both stock intake vs injen and see if there are any that show similar AFR, or better yet find tuned oem vs tuned injen that shows injen better. I am not saying it isn't better but I have yet to see a dyno showing any gains. I have however tuned a car with an injen intake and i have to say what a living hell. So much turbulence! The Maf voltage log looks like an accordion!
Old Setup: Vortech Supercharged 360WHP/262WTQ @ 11.5psi
My build thread - WTF happened to nelsmar's car thread
nelsmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:36 PM   #4202
nelsmar

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 345 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsmar View Post
More like find an actual dyno that shows AFR of both stock intake vs injen and see if there are any that show similar AFR, or better yet find tuned oem vs tuned injen that shows injen better. I am not saying it isn't better but I have yet to see a dyno showing any gains. I have however tuned a car with an injen intake and i have to say what a living hell. So much turbulence! The Maf voltage log looks like an accordion!
Top left - STOCK
Bottom left - TRD
Top right - Injen

Your MAF curve shouldn't go up and down during a wide open throttle pull like this. It should also be smooth. The TRD has no air straightener, but the OEM does from the factory. This "bump" is what causes the CEL, idle issues, fuel trim issues, etc. The dynos that I have seen all show stock rom with ecu reset and the pulls on injen running leaner than stock which is where the extra power comes from. I have yet to put one on the dyno to see if it did worse than stock though.

Old Setup: Vortech Supercharged 360WHP/262WTQ @ 11.5psi
My build thread - WTF happened to nelsmar's car thread
nelsmar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nelsmar For This Useful Post:
Brahsbrah (04-14-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 08:29 PM   #4203
Brahsbrah

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport Tech White Pearl
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Ugh.... Basically cost me $400 to get it to Canada.
Brahsbrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:44 PM   #4204
FrsDuke
Fanboy

Drives: 2013 ultramarine frs
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahsbrah View Post
Ugh.... Basically cost me $400 to get it to Canada.
Sorry dude. It's just a bad item. Lots of work to get it to just work as well as stock. I wasn't bagging on it to be a **** I was trying to save you money and time.

-Duke
FrsDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:12 PM   #4205
Brahsbrah

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport Tech White Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrsDuke View Post
Sorry dude. It's just a bad item. Lots of work to get it to just work as well as stock. I wasn't bagging on it to be a **** I was trying to save you money and time.
No worries!

I got it from rallysportdirect... Just checked out there return policy and it looks pretty good.

Sorry for the thread jack...
Brahsbrah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brahsbrah For This Useful Post:
FrsDuke (04-14-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 11:15 PM   #4206
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
His "writing" style is pretty unique too. Anyway, any more impressions from folks? I'm loving my header. Need to do a few more mods before I switch from an of the shelf tune to dyno goodness. I'm considering the power blocks and the fp/op combo, but it'll be the better part of a year till it happens.
@mad_sb you got any dyno time yet?
No dynotime, all my money is going into my 4runner project right now. To be honest, I only installed it so I could sell my fa20 header. With the fitment issues i am having i almost wish i had kept the fa20 header on and sold this one instead. So yeah, no so enthused about nameless quality right now.

As for the tune, not much to change. I would like to fine tune it on the dyno to get avcs just right but it doesn't seem to need anything special. I'm burnt out on spending several hundred dollars for dyno time everytime i change something. I'm probably just going to dial in the afr and then go do a pull and leave it alone unless something is off.

Power wise, it feels alittle stronger everywhere than the Fa20, except maybee the last 500 rpm up to the limiter, hard to say since i don't get on it much due to the stupid rattle / ringing.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:21 AM   #4207
FrsDuke
Fanboy

Drives: 2013 ultramarine frs
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_sb View Post
No dynotime, all my money is going into my 4runner project right now. To be honest, I only installed it so I could sell my fa20 header. With the fitment issues i am having i almost wish i had kept the fa20 header on and sold this one instead. So yeah, no so enthused about nameless quality right now.

As for the tune, not much to change. I would like to fine tune it on the dyno to get avcs just right but it doesn't seem to need anything special. I'm burnt out on spending several hundred dollars for dyno time everytime i change something. I'm probably just going to dial in the afr and then go do a pull and leave it alone unless something is off.

Power wise, it feels alittle stronger everywhere than the Fa20, except maybee the last 500 rpm up to the limiter, hard to say since i don't get on it much due to the stupid rattle / ringing.
I'm sorry to hear that man. Mine has thrown a p2096 at me often enough that I disabled it, but I only had the slight op flange leak and managed to eliminate it. I am going to have another look around the seals to be certain this weekend when I add an o2 spacer to allow stock tune for dealership visits. Have you discussed it at any length with Jason or Ryan yet?

-Duke
FrsDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:49 AM   #4208
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I have not seen anything from Jason or Ryan for a while.

Have they posted any updates on the header and dyno's or fitment issues anywhere else?
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:55 AM   #4209
raul
Lap time enthusiast

Drives: Asphalt '13 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
How many of us are having leaky header issues? I've been a bit quiet about it but it's getting frustrating at this point. I paid for express shipping to get the headers in time for an autoX event and turned out to have a leak. The leak could be felt coming from the connection to the overpipe while idling (I have the Nameless 2.5" OP/FP), so it's not a small leak where it can only be felt under load.

First I took it to my local shop, where they tried double gaskets and sealant. Still leaked. I overnighted a Grimmspeed gasket and put it with Nameless supplied gasket, including exhaust sealant. Still leaked.
Nameless sent me a special graphite gasket. Still leaked.
In the off chance that I'm wrong about the location of the leak, I ordered yet another set of Grimmspeed gaskets for the connection to the heads. If it still leaks, I'm really considering requesting a return rather than an exchange.
raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:17 AM   #4210
verts

Drives: '13 6MT Raven FRS
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
How many of us are having leaky header issues? I've been a bit quiet about it but it's getting frustrating at this point. I paid for express shipping to get the headers in time for an autoX event and turned out to have a leak. The leak could be felt coming from the connection to the overpipe while idling (I have the Nameless 2.5" OP/FP), so it's not a small leak where it can only be felt under load.

First I took it to my local shop, where they tried double gaskets and sealant. Still leaked. I overnighted a Grimmspeed gasket and put it with Nameless supplied gasket, including exhaust sealant. Still leaked.
In the off chance that I'm wrong about the location of the leak, I ordered yet another set of Grimmspeed gaskets for the connection to the heads. If it still leaks, I'm really considering requesting a return rather than an exchange.
I have some leaks, not going to say anything thought until a try that graphite gasket which is on the way to me (i also have the 2.5" op/dp) and a fresh set of grimmspeed gaskets. I also fab'd up a new mid pipe hanger to push the op/dp away to stop it from rattling against the head/passenger floor as no matter where i repositioned the header it would still rattle against those areas (removing the entire exhaust and installing header back seems to have pushed my evo 3 back even further as well). This time to I'll be taking it to a friends shop to install everything to rule out its not the header itself (i hope its not).

I dont 'think' I have a noticable leak at idle but under load on throttle there is a very apparent hiss from the front of it leaking somewhere. Idle is a bit off too (which i kind of expect without a tune) and no CEL yet (after about a 1000km of driving).
Hoping the new gasket and grimmspeeds will solve it because otherwise my butt dyno is loving the extra torque.

If it doesn't work this time I'm not sure what I'll do. I'll send a message to nameless one more time I guess and see if there are any alternatives as I really want this to work.
verts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:18 AM   #4211
Tainen

Drives: First SWP BRZ-L
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:

After talking to Ryan yesterday, it sounds like most everyone's leak issues were fixed with better gaskets. The 3" to 2.5" just means there's not much overlap between the two flanges, makes it a little tough. Sorry to hear yours still is leaking I hope they get it fixed for you.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:25 AM   #4212
mad_sb

Quote:
.. Have you discussed it at any length with Jason or Ryan yet?
I spoke to @Ryan@Nameless on the phone last week, he said they have never had fitment issues etc and told me to contact some other dude whose name i forgot. I specifically told ryan before this header shipped that i was having issues with the front pipe but thought it was due to the fa20 header he said to contact them if i continued to have issues, which i did then was told to contact someone else. I think it was John.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:49 AM   #4213
mad_sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by verts View Post
I have some leaks, not going to say anything thought until a try that graphite gasket which is on the way to me (i also have the 2.5" op/dp) and a fresh set of grimmspeed gaskets. I also fab'd up a new mid pipe hanger to push the op/dp away to stop it from rattling against the head/passenger floor as no matter where i repositioned the header it would still rattle against those areas (removing the entire exhaust and installing header back seems to have pushed my evo 3 back even further as well). This time to I'll be taking it to a friends shop to install everything to rule out its not the header itself (i hope its not).

I dont 'think' I have a noticable leak at idle but under load on throttle there is a very apparent hiss from the front of it leaking somewhere. Idle is a bit off too (which i kind of expect without a tune) and no CEL yet (after about a 1000km of driving).
Hoping the new gasket and grimmspeeds will solve it because otherwise my butt dyno is loving the extra torque.

If it doesn't work this time I'm not sure what I'll do. I'll send a message to nameless one more time I guess and see if there are any alternatives as I really want this to work.
do any of your rattles / noises sound like mine.. clip attached I'm almost sure my issue is the front / over combo.. Mine is catted and Helmholtz'd (old design with the res at the front of the pipe) and the tinny rattle i have had ever since i installed the front pipe, it just got a lot worse with the nameless header.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 1stand2nd.zip (248.1 KB, 122 views)
Old 04-15-2014, 11:54 AM   #4214
mad_sb

Quote:

Those grimspeed gaskets have leaked on me twice now. The stock gaskets seal better with aftermarket headers. I made the mistake of using the grimspeeds the second time with this header install... I will be switching back to stock style when i pull it all apart again to fix my rattle.

Tags
21 months no dyno, 22 months no vendor dyno, 22months4rattles&leakssmh, amazing warped qualiy, y u no tag