follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 04-04-2017, 10:08 PM   #29
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxyion View Post
I'm going to give you some advice. Try and test drive as many boosted 86's in as many configurations as you can before you settle on a decision. I did most of my research online and asking around and youtube before i settled on the Edelbrock. And let me tell you. I regret it. Not because the kit is bad or anything. The kit is amazing for the cost. Incredibly well built, good reliability, decent headroom for more power. And the most reliable twin screw supercharger out there.

So why dont i like it? It messed with the characteristics with the car too much. The throttle response is so different now. Power delivery is great but i can feel the parasitic load on the engine when i put my foot down. It makes the engine feel "heavier" if that makes any sense. The car doesnt feel like the light nimble thing it used to be.

Moral of the story? Cant beat first hand experience.
What are your plans going forward? If you had to do it over would you have tried a turbo or the Jackson SC, or maybe keep it NA with an ACE header + tune?
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:31 AM   #30
softgrip

Drives: 2017 BRZ - Dark Grey Metallic
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brayden_23 View Post
LOL sorry to burst your bubble bud - everyone can get to 58mph in second gear.

That is a gearing thing and nothing to do with the amount of power you're putting down. The amount of time it takes to get there on the other hand....

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...65&postcount=2
Sorry, probably should have put a time frame in that. no bubble burst.
Basically it's bloody quick... and you don't have enough time take stock of what's going on before you hit 100k and have to change.
softgrip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to softgrip For This Useful Post:
Brayden_23 (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 09:46 AM   #31
ajcarson11

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (Black)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Reliabity is a concern with that SC. Not that it is unreliable but be expected to pay more attention to whats going on and the temps. They sound super cool tho.
I disagree. Myself, and others with the sprintex 210 have had zero issues since install. Personally, I believe there is so little that can go wrong with this kit. You just have to check the SC oil level every now and then.

My setup is quick, runs cool (on e85, a little warmer on 93) and has immediate throttle response, coupled with the sweet twin-scroll whine. I spent a total of $2400 on my entire setup (add +500 for e85 flex fuel kit) including tune. I'm somewhere between 270-290whp (depending on the day and the fuel), and its the perfect amount of power without having to tear into the clutch and drivetrain un-necessarily.

Granted...if I were tracking the car I would run the intercooled setup, with a lot of extra supporting mods. The sprintex puts out a lot of heat when on a track.

But for me, as a DD, its the best budget setup that is reliable.

EDIT: I didn't even mention the torque. The sprintex (like the edelbrock) delivers torque in low RPMs. I try to avoid putting my foot down under 3000rpm (for fear of the rod integrity with all the torque in that area), but the strength of the pull from 3000+ is astounding. I don't notice the parasitic load on the engine with the SC personally... It's easy to forget when the entire rev range pulls more smoothly than stock, even when barely getting on the gas.
ajcarson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ajcarson11 For This Useful Post:
Keenercarguy (04-07-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 10:14 AM   #32
spdbydesignchris

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowReaper View Post
I meant close to 230 HP, not whp.

I have been researching kits for about 3 months. SBD and JDL are on the top for me. Watch You Tube videos, that what I mainly do. You will see a lot of youtubers happy with the SBD kit. I notice the SBD spools up about over 3000 (don't quote me on that).

Regardless it is a fast spool.

The only thing with SBD is i don't believe they have a ball bearing option. JDL does. Both are pretty affordable for being a turbo kit.
Sure we do

SBD500X!

https://spdbydesign.com/product/sbd5...-brzscion-frs/
spdbydesignchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:30 AM   #33
Yoda

Drives: Crystal Black BRZ(Sophia)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcarson11 View Post
I disagree. Myself, and others with the sprintex 210 have had zero issues since install. Personally, I believe there is so little that can go wrong with this kit. You just have to check the SC oil level every now and then.

My setup is quick, runs cool (on e85, a little warmer on 93) and has immediate throttle response, coupled with the sweet twin-scroll whine. I spent a total of $2400 on my entire setup (add +500 for e85 flex fuel kit) including tune. I'm somewhere between 270-290whp (depending on the day and the fuel), and its the perfect amount of power without having to tear into the clutch and drivetrain un-necessarily.

Granted...if I were tracking the car I would run the intercooled setup, with a lot of extra supporting mods. The sprintex puts out a lot of heat when on a track.

But for me, as a DD, its the best budget setup that is reliable.

EDIT: I didn't even mention the torque. The sprintex (like the edelbrock) delivers torque in low RPMs. I try to avoid putting my foot down under 3000rpm (for fear of the rod integrity with all the torque in that area), but the strength of the pull from 3000+ is astounding. I don't notice the parasitic load on the engine with the SC personally... It's easy to forget when the entire rev range pulls more smoothly than stock, even when barely getting on the gas.
How long have you had the kit? I keep getting mixed reviews of it but lately I have been hearing more positive than negative. Glad you are enjoying the kit.
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:55 AM   #34
ajcarson11

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (Black)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
How long have you had the kit? I keep getting mixed reviews of it but lately I have been hearing more positive than negative. Glad you are enjoying the kit.
I've had the kit on for ~5000 miles or so i'd bet. I've talked to others who have had it on for ~50,000+ miles however. I was skeptical before purchasing the kit that there might be problems, simply based upon all of the comments in the FI Sprintex thread. Most issues were due to improper installation (for instance, I had a stutter that I couldn't figure out for a while, but it turned out to be that I forgot to install a bolt into the injector ECU which was affecting the electrical grounding). There have been a few instances of belts shredding, but those are few-and-far-between. Mechanically, there isn't much to go wrong that I can see, and if non-intercooled there aren't any connections that can come-undone.

If I had to do FI all over again, I'd investigate the new JDL turbo kit, as that would let me retain my UEL header. Retention of the UEL header is one of the reasons I began looking into SC FI in the first place. I just couldn't bear to switch to an EL header
ajcarson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajcarson11 For This Useful Post:
ShadowReaper (04-06-2017), Yoda (04-05-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 03:53 PM   #35
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtengr View Post
What are your plans going forward? If you had to do it over would you have tried a turbo or the Jackson SC, or maybe keep it NA with an ACE header + tune?
If i had to do it all over again i'd probably go turbo or Jackson SC.

Theres a lot to be said about NA though. After driving this car both NA (stage 1 and 2 with UEL) and going the SC route. What i think this car needs is what the Fiesta ST has. A small turbo to bring the torque up but keep the Horses around 200-220 ish.

The small amount of turbo lag i think actually would compliment the way this car already drives NA and the kick in the pants you get when boost hits is the push everyone is craving for when you step on it.

Massive power is fun i'm sure but i think its more of a e-peen comparison than actually making the car drive well. Not saying high numbers isnt fun but IMHO to make this car drive perfect all it needs is the Fiesta ST treatment.
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:29 PM   #36
Matt@Cosworth

Drives: blue - Cosworth SC stage 3.0
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Sorry but I respectfully disagree
more power is better
in anything more power is better
and when you have more power , you want more still
They say Power corrupts and I say yes
Isn't it great?
Matt@Cosworth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Matt@Cosworth For This Useful Post:
COO86L (04-17-2017), weederr33 (04-06-2017), whataboutbob (04-10-2017)
Old 04-07-2017, 12:41 AM   #37
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@Cosworth View Post
more power is better
Isn't it great?

Haha yeah I think most people think that way. I'm of a completely different mind set. Doesn't matter how fast I go. If the car doesn't "feel" right to me then I won't like it as much. Even if I was pushing 1000hp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Xxyion For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (04-07-2017)
Old 04-07-2017, 01:41 AM   #38
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@Cosworth View Post
more power is better
Isn't it great?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxyion View Post
Haha yeah I think most people think that way. I'm of a completely different mind set. Doesn't matter how fast I go. If the car doesn't "feel" right to me then I won't like it as much. Even if I was pushing 1000hp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are not talking here about building a time attack car. Right?

I think it is all about the senses of the driver. Some will sense all the fine details, like the steering wheel or the throttle responsiveness or the overall balance and others will sense only power by any means. Fact is that the first route is more difficult to achieve (or improve) and also very difficult to express in numbers. Additionally, it is not always available to the driver. In most cases you'll need an appropriate road to enjoy it. However, it is an option and it is within the spirit of what the designers wanted to provide.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
Keenercarguy (04-07-2017)
Old 04-07-2017, 02:35 AM   #39
Matt@Cosworth

Drives: blue - Cosworth SC stage 3.0
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
thing is most modern fast cars are so quick that you need a racetrack to exploit them
but a tuned up car which is too powerful for its own good will always raise a smile from me

you don't have to push the loud pedal all the way down all the time after all.
and the '86 is a fine chassis thats crying out for more power so you can exploit it
Matt@Cosworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:53 AM   #40
Keenercarguy
Mountain Runner

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
We are not talking here about building a time attack car. Right?

I think it is all about the senses of the driver. Some will sense all the fine details, like the steering wheel or the throttle responsiveness or the overall balance and others will sense only power by any means. Fact is that the first route is more difficult to achieve (or improve) and also very difficult to express in numbers. Additionally, it is not always available to the driver. In most cases you'll need an appropriate road to enjoy it. However, it is an option and it is within the spirit of what the designers wanted to provide.
Yeah I'm one of those "sense everything" kind of drivers. Hell I'm the AutoX chair for the largest college sportscar club in the country, so I'm all about precision. The goal of my build is to take a car that was good, but delivered effectively unfinished, and improve on it: not transform it. I want more grip, but similar weight transfer; more torque and power, but no moment of upset; better aesthetics, but not at the cost of weight, handling, or performance.
However, when it all comes down to it: I'm moving into the mountains for a while and the altitude is choking my car pretty bad; forced induction is the only real way I can see of fixing that.
nikitopo (04-07-2017)
Old 04-07-2017, 12:38 PM   #41
Amputechture

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Have you owned turbocharged vehicles in the past? Your throttle feel is going to feel entirely different so be mindful of this. The level of transient response which you are speaking of is not likely to be had within your budget.

After giving this thread a second read I second the notion that you are better suited for a blower.
Amputechture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:21 PM   #42
Keenercarguy
Mountain Runner

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amputechture View Post
Have you owned turbocharged vehicles in the past? Your throttle feel is going to feel entirely different so be mindful of this. The level of transient response which you are speaking of is not likely to be had within your budget.

After giving this thread a second read I second the notion that you are better suited for a blower.
Yeah, I fully agree! A SC is probably my top choice, but that doesn't mean I don't want my options open.
Amputechture (04-08-2017)