follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 12-12-2017, 07:05 PM   #29
sprintertrueno86

Drives: 2018 BMW M2
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zizon93 View Post
Thank you very much for your tips and I really appreciate it. Yes, it is my only car and I daily drive it every day. What I do daily is rather simple and plain; go to work M-F (7mins away from my home and it's all straight road), hit the gym afterward (literally 1min away from my home). On a Saturday, I usually go out and have some fun with my buddies&gf and on a Sunday I spend the whole day on a church haha. You're right ... I may need to bring my car to a track someday and drive it like it meant to be ... I really hope that would give back its pure enjoyment that I had before
That is the problem

Look for backroads around where you live or go on scenic trips.
sprintertrueno86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 07:12 PM   #30
ToySub1946

Drives: 15FRS, 05MustangGT, 85Toyota truck
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'm 71yo, have owned over 60 cars in my lifetime.

This goes for any car I've ever owned> Some days I get in to a car and I'm immediately 'at one' with the car. I feel comfortable, in the groove, totally focused and enjoying driving the car. Other times it takes minutes or hours to get in that mood. Sometimes I'm in that mood and getting out of the car to go in a store, back in to the car, ruins the experience.
Other times, same car, I just can't get 'at one with the car' at all. I've never had an explanation for why things change, day to day.

I've enjoyed my 2015 FRS more than any other car I've ever owned. It just fits me. I'm more often in the groove in this car than any other car I've owned. I often take drives just to get out of the house, explore the world out there by driving.

Two things suggested by others which I agree with:

1. Change your routine one day a week, or some days...ditch church or the gym and find a winding dirt road one day.
2. Have another car to drive on occasion. If you can afford it, make it your own. If not, drive a friend's or neighbors, family member's car. A beater, junker is often the best choice for a second car to drive. Last summer I drove my 32yo Toyota truck, a worn out beast it is, yet I enjoy the totally different driving experience it is from my newer car...and it's a cheap diversion from the norm. Variety is the spice which makes life more interesting.

Last edited by ToySub1946; 12-12-2017 at 07:40 PM.
ToySub1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ToySub1946 For This Useful Post:
8RZ (12-13-2017), DaBoBo21 (12-13-2017), new2subaru (12-12-2017), Tcoat (12-12-2017), tv4184 (12-28-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 07:22 PM   #31
ST185RC

Drives: White Out FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
7 minute drive to work? Why do you even own a car? Can it even get up to operating temperature before you arrive at work? Lol. I can see how you feel that way especially when you're most likely driving 1/10th of the car's capabilities. Get a Camry you'll have all the straight line funzies as you want quicker than an 86.

If I had to blast down a straight road, I'll use the S7, if I have a twisty road, FR-S/86 all day every day. If the s2000s in my area aren't all rat bagged and shit on with rebuilt status to almost all of them, I'd probably have one of those.

Nothing puts a smile on my face quite like lift-off + a bit of hand brake -> throttle through corner and exiting sideways on a quiet road.
ST185RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:12 PM   #32
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,481 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
65k miles, 5 years next month

Last Sunday I was at an autox and pushed a little too hard, big ass drift that I couldn't correct before I center punched a cone. That was a bigger smile on my face and a big ol' belly laugh that outshines anything I experienced the first 1 year+ I owned the car and didn't do anything at all exciting with it. So I did it again on my second run and made the corner that time.

If you treat the car as a boring car it'll be a boring car. If I didn't do track days and autox I would have certainly been well 'over it' at this point. Hell, I'd take a Yaris I could beat the shit out of over a Ferrari I couldn't rev past 3k rpm.

Find your own joy, mawds or car shows or driving down back country roads or autox or track days or whatever. There's lots of things to do with a car, go try 'em.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:24 PM   #33
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,332 Times in 1,348 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST185RC View Post
7 minute drive to work?
I have a 7-8 minute drive to work. Most days, when driving the FR-S, it takes me 20-25 to get there and 30-45 minutes to get home!

I'm the same way as the OP, though. If I drive the car too much I seem to lose that "feeling" When that happens I put it away for a bit and drive the other cars. As soon as I get back in it that feeling returns, especially after a winter storage.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:40 PM   #34
Semiihcircle

Drives: 17 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ohh I love my car although i bought it six months ago and already put it away for the Winter.
Its not my dd, i drive it the fridays and weekends. I smile ear to ear every time i see it although its under a cover in my garage until the snow and salt is gone.

The one time i realized i actually loved this car was when i was driving on sound avenue on long island. For those that do not know long island, Sound avenue is a road that will take you to most eastern point (orient point) on the northern fork of long island. its a road thats kinda curvy not really. As you head east on the long island the population density decreases, so eastern long island particularly the north fork is farms and vineyards. the road itself has a few lights but it isnt lite up like a highway, and is kinda dark at night.

Anyway, its about 20 miles maybe more, of both green farm land and vineyards then followed by beaches!
The speed limit is 50 mph so youre just cruising, and you if you get hungry you stop anywhere and roasted corn!
There is rarely any traffic unless you drive on the weekends at like noon or around pumpkin season!

I usually out there to go fishing or to hangout in greenport village, I think both the drive and the recreation of what im doing that day always makes me excited.

Semiihcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Semiihcircle For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (12-12-2017), spike021 (12-13-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 11:53 PM   #35
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,252 Times in 677 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToySub1946 View Post
I'm 71yo, have owned over 60 cars in my lifetime.

This goes for any car I've ever owned> Some days I get in to a car and I'm immediately 'at one' with the car. I feel comfortable, in the groove, totally focused and enjoying driving the car. Other times it takes minutes or hours to get in that mood. Sometimes I'm in that mood and getting out of the car to go in a store, back in to the car, ruins the experience.
Other times, same car, I just can't get 'at one with the car' at all. I've never had an explanation for why things change, day to day.

I've enjoyed my 2015 FRS more than any other car I've ever owned. It just fits me. I'm more often in the groove in this car than any other car I've owned. I often take drives just to get out of the house, explore the world out there by driving.

Two things suggested by others which I agree with:

1. Change your routine one day a week, or some days...ditch church or the gym and find a winding dirt road one day.
2. Have another car to drive on occasion. If you can afford it, make it your own. If not, drive a friend's or neighbors, family member's car. A beater, junker is often the best choice for a second car to drive. Last summer I drove my 32yo Toyota truck, a worn out beast it is, yet I enjoy the totally different driving experience it is from my newer car...and it's a cheap diversion from the norm. Variety is the spice which makes life more interesting.
I am envious of your experience and someday hope to have the perspective you do. You have won at life.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pat For This Useful Post:
ermax (12-13-2017), ToySub1946 (12-13-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 12:20 AM   #36
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,443 Times in 6,153 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
+1 to get a beater to drive to work and back. I drive my FRS 1 or 2 times a week (I also have a 40 minute commute) or a bit more when the weather is really nice.

Also, I used to live 5 minutes from work myself. I would just go for a long drive for an hour every week or so exploring back roads in every direction.
Spuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:34 AM   #37
Hades

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
OP you need to drive moar fun roads, and/or track events. I find my car to get quite frustrating in a DD context. Thankfully I work from home now so don't need to daily it anymore, but when I did track events & canyons helped a bunch in keeping things fun.
Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:39 AM   #38
FunnyGopher

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
I had originally bought mine because I was replacing something unreliable. I've now had it for a year, and drive it every single day. I love driving my BRZ. Even in mundane, stop-and-go traffic, I love it.

When I first bought it, I babied it. I wasn't used to driving real fast or anything, so I never really pushed it. After taking a road trip to Cali, and driving on some twisty mountain roads faster than I had ever driven ever, I loved the car even more. It feels so planted. A couple times a week, I'll go out of my way on my way home from work to drive some of the more fun roads.

I also suggest finding some fun roads to drive it on, but safely!
FunnyGopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:47 AM   #39
Mim

Drives: MY11 Maxima 350st, MY15 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Sounds like you need a road trip to help break up some of the monotony. Perhaps even turn it into a small side hobby to open up a map and plan out a route / mini trip now and then. Make a day of it or two with a sleep over stay somewhere nice?

Try to rope in some nice twisting roads
MY15 CWP A/T BRZ | Leather heated seats | STI CAI filter, A/T leather shifter, strut brace, V-brace, draw stiffener, battery tie down, Radiator cap, Oil cap, push start button | TRD door stabilizer | YoSpeed STI console garnish | Pioneer AVIC-F70DAB + Rev-camera, TS-WX710A sub | JL speakers, Amp | TOMS' Clear Brake Lights | Cusco 4.556 FD | Driveshaft Shop aluminum shaft | Tein FlexZ, EDFC AP+GPS | Crawford BPB
Mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:17 AM   #40
Last Lemming Alive

Drives: WRB 2017 BRZ Limited w/ PP
It’s like your mom said, if you eat pancakes every day you’ll get sick of them eventually. Totally normal. I’m not sure moding a car is the right answer either. That’s just kicking the can down the road. Unless there is a specific goal in mind you will aimlessly keep modding the car to get that “new car” fix. Eventually, you will run out of money, and the same feeling you had that started you modding the car in the first place will come back and you will be right back where you started, except the car will now be a patchwork of pseudo performance parts, and you will probably wish it was stock, and it won’t be as fun in many ways. The right answer then will be to bring it back to stock, but since you’ve dumped so much money in it that won’t be a real option for you. I’m almost 50, I’ve had and modified near 20 cars, and I know where you are coming from. I agree what with a few have already said, try driving it in new ways: Autocross, back roads, etc, but don’t throw mods on it just to trick your mind and make it feel “new” again - that’s a slippery slope.

Last edited by Last Lemming Alive; 12-13-2017 at 08:33 AM.
Last Lemming Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Last Lemming Alive For This Useful Post:
new2subaru (12-13-2017), spike021 (12-13-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 09:22 AM   #41
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Lemming Alive View Post
It’s like your mom said, if you eat pancakes every day you’ll get sick of them eventually. Totally normal. I’m not sure moding a car is the right answer either. That’s just kicking the can down the road. Unless there is a specific goal in mind you will aimlessly keep modding the car to get that “new car” fix. Eventually, you will run out of money, and the same feeling you had that started you modding the car in the first place will come back and you will be right back where you started, except the car will now be a patchwork of pseudo performance parts, and you will probably wish it was stock, and it won’t be as fun in many ways. The right answer then will be to bring it back to stock, but since you’ve dumped so much money in it that won’t be a real option for you. I’m almost 50, I’ve had and modified near 20 cars, and I know where you are coming from. I agree what with a few have already said, try driving it in new ways: Autocross, back roads, etc, but don’t throw mods on it just to trick your mind and make it feel “new” again - that’s a slippery slope.
Wise words. I poured thousands of dollars into modifying my cars in my teens and twenties and it's never enough. In the end when you finally decide to sell it, you just have a highly modified car that you've actually decreased the value of the car vs. stock for most buyers. I've found it better to just keep my cars stock and well maintained, when I'm ready for something different I can just sell the car for top dollar and move on to the next car.
NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:11 AM   #42
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Having another car helps. I daily drive a GTI and even coming from something sporty like that, I still smile every time I get the chance to hop into my FR-S and go have some fun. Especially track days.

If you're just driving your car in a straight line a few minutes each day, I can see how it would get mundane quickly. Go have some fun in your car!

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote