follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southern California

Southern California SoCal

User Tag List

Old 01-13-2015, 09:07 PM   #1
jalucerosd

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
New FRS driver looking to learn more about cars

Hey guys,

I'm a new FRS driver in San Diego. Recently bought my car back in December. I'd like to learn more about Frs's and cars in general other than what I read online. Just mainly looking to meet people that appreciate cars. I'm a chula vista local.
jalucerosd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:58 PM   #2
f-tech

Drives: stock
Nice
f-tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:11 PM   #3
Vincenttam
WtsTofu

Drives: Ultramarine fr-s
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Are you a manual drive or an auto?
Old 01-13-2015, 11:55 PM   #4
jupillam

Drives: White out Scion Frs
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Congrats and welcome to the forum !!! Now start saving money get yourself an OFT and OFH and call it a day !!!!
Old 01-14-2015, 12:18 AM   #5
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Most don't do it because of laziness, but a really good place to start familiarizing yourself with your car is the owner's manual...read it, it's magical...then start going to meets/events to see what type of upgrades people are doing to their cars...
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:24 AM   #6
WesleyG

Drives: 2014 Satin White Pearl GTS auto
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome, and a nice start...... oh yes, I read the owners manual from cover to cover, people look at me strange when i say that lol. I have done that for every car that I have driven, Lots of things to learn and discover, even if you thought you knew your car well.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:23 AM   #7
ImASandwich

Drives: Red Brz
Garage
Since you're from SD, join
https://www.facebook.com/groups/socalsd86
We have monthly meets every second friday of the month currently at Tea Station in Clairmont mesa, however i believe we've looking into getting a different setting.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:16 PM   #8
Razzamatazz

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
I'm kind of in the same boat as you, just got mine in november.. this being my first car worth getting to know I've been thirsty for all the information I could possibly soak up.. since you read the manual already, spend some time just reading these forums! Seriously, just pick a topic and dig in for a couple of hours just seeing what everyone else is doing and talking about. If you're anything like me (and since you read that whole damn manual, too, i suspect so), you'll find a lot of interesting topics and start digging into their finer parts, learning lots along the way!

That and of course, the car meets For whatever reason, I was super intimidated to go to my first car meet.. i really don't know why, and hell I still am.. but I met some of the coolest people there who had absolutely no problem entertaining my questions for half the night!!

Grats on the new car
Razzamatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Razzamatazz For This Useful Post:
Notorious RBG (02-03-2015)
Old 01-14-2015, 01:58 PM   #9
Xuningshen

Drives: Subaru BRZ
I would look into reading up on what a short block is, its components, then the heads, and its components, all specific to our vehicle. then i'd start looking at the components that bolt onto or into the block, again figure out what each of them do. (there are a good amount of photos and diagrams available for our cars of the drivetrain\engine alone.)

a lot of people bag on the engine design of the car, but personally i like it a lot. i think its well thought out and easy to work on with a lot of room. Things are easy to get to (majority of things) and because of that, easy to figure out and understand.

here is a picture i liked.

Name:  impp-1205-11-o+scion-fr-s+diagram.jpg
Views: 4329
Size:  145.2 KB

Last edited by Xuningshen; 01-14-2015 at 02:01 PM. Reason: added pic
Xuningshen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 07:50 PM   #10
jalucerosd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenttam View Post
Are you a manual drive or an auto?
I drive manual. Where you located in socal bro?
Old 01-17-2015, 07:54 PM   #11
jalucerosd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
Most don't do it because of laziness, but a really good place to start familiarizing yourself with your car is the owner's manual...read it, it's magical...then start going to meets/events to see what type of upgrades people are doing to their cars...
Thanks for the tip lonewolf. I have read the manual. On the other hand, I've never been to a car meet/event before but I'll look into it.
The Following User Says Thank You to jalucerosd For This Useful Post:
Lonewolf (01-17-2015)
Old 01-17-2015, 07:55 PM   #12
jalucerosd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImASandwich View Post
Since you're from SD, join
https://www.facebook.com/groups/socalsd86
We have monthly meets every second friday of the month currently at Tea Station in Clairmont mesa, however i believe we've looking into getting a different setting.
Thanks bro. I feel a little weird tho going and not knowing anyone and having a stock FR-S. I'm just really eager to learn more other than what I read online and from the manual.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:57 PM   #13
jalucerosd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzamatazz View Post
I'm kind of in the same boat as you, just got mine in november.. this being my first car worth getting to know I've been thirsty for all the information I could possibly soak up.. since you read the manual already, spend some time just reading these forums! Seriously, just pick a topic and dig in for a couple of hours just seeing what everyone else is doing and talking about. If you're anything like me (and since you read that whole damn manual, too, i suspect so), you'll find a lot of interesting topics and start digging into their finer parts, learning lots along the way!

That and of course, the car meets For whatever reason, I was super intimidated to go to my first car meet.. i really don't know why, and hell I still am.. but I met some of the coolest people there who had absolutely no problem entertaining my questions for half the night!!

Grats on the new car
Thanks dude! that makes me feel better being a noob and all. Hopefully someday I run across you.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:59 PM   #14
jalucerosd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuningshen View Post
I would look into reading up on what a short block is, its components, then the heads, and its components, all specific to our vehicle. then i'd start looking at the components that bolt onto or into the block, again figure out what each of them do. (there are a good amount of photos and diagrams available for our cars of the drivetrain\engine alone.)

a lot of people bag on the engine design of the car, but personally i like it a lot. i think its well thought out and easy to work on with a lot of room. Things are easy to get to (majority of things) and because of that, easy to figure out and understand.

here is a picture i liked.

Attachment 100492
Thanks Xuningshen! thats very helpful. I appreciate it. Where in California are you from if you don't mind me asking. Maybe we can meet up at a meet or something I just want to learn more in general. And i've looked into what you mentioned and i personally love the engine design of the our car too

Tags
noob