follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Old 12-06-2015, 09:54 AM   #29
Brzerker

Drives: World Rally Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcuerpo View Post
i installed whiteline steering rack and pinion bushing, can i still have the steering lockdown installed? emailed perrin about this but didnt get any replies
I'm curious on this as well, any inputs?
Old 02-16-2017, 10:47 PM   #30
sabajin

Drives: ´15 GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I just installed this lockdowns and have mixed feelings. For starters, at low very low speed, 10-20 mph the steering feels extremely light imo. But once the car reaches 25 mph or more the response and the feedback increases so much that you can feel the difference from stock, and the improved reactions.

Is it normal to feel it light at low speeds? Do i have to torque a little more? eventhough i did the 65 ft lbs that the instructions guide indicates.

I have to add that i also have the whiteline steering rack and pinion bushings. So far no nhv whatsoever using this combo.
sabajin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:45 PM   #31
revaholic

Drives: 2016 Ablaze Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I had the Perrin steering lockdowns installed. I wouldn't say it's a night and day difference, but there are notable changes. My car has the stock suspension and tires, and here are my impressions of the lockdowns:

-Steering ratio feels quicker - I didn't think but the car's steering could get much quicker but it seems more responsive to turning inputs. Almost darty at first but got used to it.
-Steering feel - Not massively different but I feel more road texture especially when braking and turning, when the contact patch is pressed onto the pavement. The stock steering is really good at smoothing over bumps, with the lockdowns there is a bit more movement of the steering wheel from side to side when hitting bumps. I wouldn't even call it bump steer, it's not a loss of control, just a bit more recognition that your wheels are hitting something.
-Ride over bumps feels a bit firmer? I'm not sure if this is psychological or not. But I find myself trying to avoid bumps more because I seem to feel them more with the lockdowns.

Overall, I'm quite happy with the lockdowns for such a simple upgrade. The car just feels even more alive, and the little bit more road texture is what I was looking for. I liked the steering from my 2001 Civic and 2010 Mini for the way it moves around from road imperfections. I know this is personal preference as some people want steering that tracks perfectly all the time, but I don't. With the lockdowns I got some of this character to come out of the 86 because the stock steering was a bit number than I expected. To put it simply the steering just feels quicker and bit more analog.
revaholic is offline   Reply With Quote