follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 11-22-2019, 10:24 AM   #1
all4spl

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
wiring aftermarket ecu question

I have an emtron that I'm getting ready to start wiring in. When people wire in aftermarket ECU's, do they just wire the basics to get the engine running or do they do thinks like evap and all the other oem stuff to the ecu? I'm trying to dissect the wiring schematics and not sure if things like heater and all that stuff wire into the ecu.
all4spl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:30 AM   #2
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
There's no golden standard, people pick their battles typically. I feel like starting with just the basics is the best strategy. Why over complicate it if you don't need to?

Also depends on your goals. Do you want to pass vehicle emissions regulations or a state inspection? or do you not care if the tachometer works and it starts on fire half way through it's first tractor pull competition
DarkPira7e is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:58 PM   #3
DustinS

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Thanked 1,414 Times in 804 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4spl View Post
I have an emtron that I'm getting ready to start wiring in. When people wire in aftermarket ECU's, do they just wire the basics to get the engine running or do they do thinks like evap and all the other oem stuff to the ecu? I'm trying to dissect the wiring schematics and not sure if things like heater and all that stuff wire into the ecu.
Most people strip it down to bare minimum when going standalone. For most, evap doesn't/won't work and it doesn't make sense to wire it in. Should be able to wire it up bare minimum to run just the engine, and then tap into canbus with the emtron to run any of the FRS/BRZ canbus stuff.

For instance, my LS swap runs pretty well separate of the car with the only connection between them being the two canbus wires for the canbus converter. Though I did use the factory relays and wiring for the fans as it made sense to tap into stuff that was already there.