follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 04-01-2020, 02:47 PM   #10809
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlOody_BoOger View Post
Any one got a clue why I'm making such lil power???
I'm in e85 openflash phantom original tune.
Ft86 UEL headers
Grams throttle body
AEM e85 fuel pump
Aftermarket over pipe
Catless front pipe
And full catback exhaust.
I thought atleast I would be making
225whp/210tq
The phantom is pushing a good 4.5 psi at Max sometimes even 4.7 so I'm confused.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
Lots of reasons.

1. Every dyno reads different, one car can go dyno 145whp on one dyno then 170whp on another with zero changes otherwise. So don’t compare your dyno to someone else unless its the exact same physical dyno not even just dyno type. Should only look ar and compare your baseline before and after % increase compared to someone else baseline before and after % increase.

2. Whats more important making 400whp on a dyno but taking 11sec 60-130 or 350whp on a dyno but take 10sec 60-130. Ultimately what matters is actual performance.

3. It looks like you did a pull in 2nd then 3rd? You should be doing it in 1-1 gear 5th mt 4 at. And then using the correct correction factors.

4. ESC doesn’t make high peak WHP it does however make decent low end torque. Which by your graph you are making really good torque downlow. But you probably make 1psi at 7k rpm which would only add about maybe 8whp. So peak whp isn’t the greatest compared to full bolt ons.

5. Openflash’s dyno has the highest baseline reading dyno i have ever seen. Makes the after dyno look really good if not compared to baseline. I believe they baseline at 176+whp. So don’t compare to them unless looking at % increase, and even then i believe its a custom dyno tune, and posted by the company that makes the esc kit so marketing gimmicks involved most likely. Edit: looks like that cars baseline was 171whp to 217whp. About 27% increase.

6. I think for an OFS tune you’re probably doing just fine.

Last edited by 86TOYO2k17; 04-01-2020 at 05:51 PM.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 05:28 PM   #10810
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
3. It looks like you did a pull in 2nd then 3rd? You should be doing it in 1-1 gear 5th mt 4 at. And then using the correct correction factors.
Those gears are probably too fast for most on the road though..... the data points look like it's Virtual Dyno.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 05:47 PM   #10811
86TOYO2k17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
Those gears are probably too fast for most on the road though..... the data points look like it's Virtual Dyno.
It looks like a real dynojet dyno?
Old 04-02-2020, 05:03 PM   #10812
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
It looks like a real dynojet dyno?
Look in the top left ("Generated by Virtual Dyno")

Plus the layout of the screen and the data points are representative of what I'd expect of a 3rd gear pull

VD is very sensitive to all the data being correct and, as per a normal dyno, only good for comparisons if you make all things equal; the road, weight, settings, gear, temps etc.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 06:32 PM   #10813
86TOYO2k17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
Look in the top left ("Generated by Virtual Dyno")

Plus the layout of the screen and the data points are representative of what I'd expect of a 3rd gear pull

VD is very sensitive to all the data being correct and, as per a normal dyno, only good for comparisons if you make all things equal; the road, weight, settings, gear, temps etc.
Interesting, maybe it is. But he hasn’t chimed back in. Not sure why anyone would take a virtual dyno seriously, at least not as an accurate representation of real numbers. Maybe as an easy way of self testing your own gains from mod to mod assuming you have all settings, conditions, road, etc.. the exact same. But definitely not comparing to someone else’s real dyno. That’s why I automatically assumed it was real. But maybe your right.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:59 PM   #10814
BlOody_BoOger

Drives: Hot lava FRS Monogram Charizard
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Interesting, maybe it is. But he hasn’t chimed back in. Not sure why anyone would take a virtual dyno seriously, at least not as an accurate representation of real numbers. Maybe as an easy way of self testing your own gains from mod to mod assuming you have all settings, conditions, road, etc.. the exact same. But definitely not comparing to someone else’s real dyno. That’s why I automatically assumed it was real. But maybe your right.
I was gone for a lil while oops, it is a virtual Dyno only reason why I assume it to be accurate is because a buddy of mine who did the virtual Dyno, actually had his car on a Dyno and the numbers where roughly +3-3 from his virtual Dyno runs. So taking that into consideration I assume if I was to get on a Dyno I would still se similar numbers. But I guess untill I do it there's no real telling. I wonder if having larger heavier wheels can be the culprit. I put in about 5lbs per wheel when I got rid of my stock wheels.

BlOody_BoOger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 04:08 PM   #10815
86TOYO2k17

Quote:
I was gone for a lil while oops, it is a virtual Dyno only reason why I assume it to be accurate is because a buddy of mine who did the virtual Dyno, actually had his car on a Dyno and the numbers where roughly +3-3 from his virtual Dyno runs. So taking that into consideration I assume if I was to get on a Dyno I would still se similar numbers. But I guess untill I do it there's no real telling. I wonder if having larger heavier wheels can be the culprit. I put in about 5lbs per wheel when I got rid of my stock wheels.

Unless your car is slower than it should be. I wouldn’t worry.

His virtual dyno may have had more accurate parameters entered in then you did and also just so happen to use a dyno that produced a similar number. As he could use a different dyno and still read + or - 10% in comparison.
Old 04-06-2020, 04:56 PM   #10816
BlOody_BoOger

Quote:
Unless your car is slower than it should be. I wouldn’t worry.

His virtual dyno may have had more accurate parameters entered in then you did and also just so happen to use a dyno that produced a similar number. As he could use a different dyno and still read + or - 10% in comparison.
Ummm disregard my last message initial message lol. So I brought up the wheels to my buddy and he thought I was on stock wheels and tires. So after changing the parameters to 245/40/18 and adding 5lbs of rotational inertia per wheel. These are the new numbers.

Old 04-07-2020, 02:02 AM   #10817
mrjj

Drives: GT86 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Ummm disregard my last message initial message lol. So I brought up the wheels to my buddy and he thought I was on stock wheels and tires. So after changing the parameters to 245/40/18 and adding 5lbs of rotational inertia per wheel. These are the new numbers.

Would you mind telling us exactly what patsmeters you are using in Virtual Dyno?
mrjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 09:56 AM   #10818
86TOYO2k17

Quote:

your 1st one looked more accurate Phantom ESCs don't make more then about 210whp unless on a hero dyno.

Full bolt ons E85 is hitting 200whp, ESC makes about 1.5psi at peak WHP. that would be roughly 210whp. ESCs do make a lot of torque though as down low at peak torque they are making about 4psi. 210whp/190ftlbs is what i would expect with full bolt ons e85 and ESC.

But either way at end of the day its all just an arbitrary number especially without a baseline to compare and what matters is real world performance numbers.

To attempt to make a virtual dyno as accurate as possible it is vital you put in 100% accurate information. you would need to weigh your vehicle, get the exact drag coefficient, gear ratio, tire diameter etc...
Then find as long and flat of a road as possible and in the highest gear you can do on that road, do a run in both directions trying to start and stop at the same points, to account for any wind as well as any slight slope, even a 2% grade will be hard to tell from inside the car but make acceleration a good bit faster. Doing it in both directions you can average the two runs so the real world road conditions aren't a factor.

Last edited by 86TOYO2k17; 04-07-2020 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:08 AM   #10819
BlOody_BoOger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjj View Post
Would you mind telling us exactly what patsmeters you are using in Virtual Dyno?
When it comes to what he inputs it asks for it all on the vdyno but its
Weight of driver
Weight of car
Tire diameter
Air tempature
Third gear pull

The data log was done using OFT and on there I have

Engine speed
Engine load
Throttle position
Maf
Oil temps
Stft
Ltft
Adv multi
Afr
Boost
Timing
And I can't remember what else right now.

Old 04-07-2020, 10:21 AM   #10820
BlOody_BoOger

Quote:
your 1st one looked more accurate Phantom ESCs don't make more then about 210whp unless on a hero dyno.

Full bolt ons E85 is hitting 200whp, ESC makes about 1.5psi at peak WHP. that would be roughly 210whp. ESCs do make a lot of torque though as down low at peak torque they are making about 4psi. 210whp/190ftlbs is what i would expect with full bolt ons e85 and ESC.

But either way at end of the day its all just an arbitrary number especially without a baseline to compare and what matters is real world performance numbers.

To attempt to make a virtual dyno as accurate as possible it is vital you put in 100% accurate information. you would need to weigh your vehicle, get the exact drag coefficient, gear ratio, tire diameter etc...
Then find as long and flat of a road as possible and in the highest gear you can do on that road, do a run in both directions trying to start and stop at the same points, to account for any wind as well as any slight slope, even a 2% grade will be hard to tell from inside the car but make acceleration a good bit faster. Doing it in both directions you can average the two runs so the real world road conditions aren't a factor.
Here's a quick video with my with a couple of friends in Mexico. This is just for comparison

The wrx mods
-Custom Dyno tune
-23psi
-Catless Downpipe
-Boomba racing Bov
-285whp/315tq

Focus ST mods
-Depo racing Intercooler
-Woosh Intake
-Woosh hybrid Turbo
-25psi
-Thermal catback
-Dizzy e30 Tune
-261whp/282wtq

Old 04-07-2020, 10:41 AM   #10821
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Here's a quick video with my with a couple of friends in Mexico. This is just for comparison

The wrx mods
-Custom Dyno tune
-23psi
-Catless Downpipe
-Boomba racing Bov
-285whp/315tq

Focus ST mods
-Depo racing Intercooler
-Woosh Intake
-Woosh hybrid Turbo
-25psi
-Thermal catback
-Dizzy e30 Tune
-261whp/282wtq

Nice vid. need more empty space to full Throttle
i still love my ESC
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 06:26 PM   #10822
SHWNBRZ

Drives: '08 MX5 6MT & '15 BRZ Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
That looks like a fiesta st. ��
SHWNBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive