follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-25-2016, 08:32 PM   #85
Mattstermh

Drives: '13 FR-S A/T - Stock
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm still having trouble differentiating between all the modes during daily driving. I don't take the highway to work - the only noticeable thing is in sports mode it holds gears longer (however, I mainly drive in manual mode).
Mattstermh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:21 PM   #86
Twinz

Drives: 2016 FR-S MT, 2015 Scion FR-S AT,
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattstermh View Post
I'm still having trouble differentiating between all the modes during daily driving. I don't take the highway to work - the only noticeable thing is in sports mode it holds gears longer (however, I mainly drive in manual mode).
The auto has two extra buttons that the manuals don't have. Sport and snow (they are in the middle and are for the transmission alone.)

Sport mode is good enough that I use it instead of the paddles when I drive them at the track.

I read that snow makes the transmission start in 2nd gear, but I live in Florida, so I have never tested it.

The Sport/VSC mode on the right is supposed to be the "fun" setting for the nannies....but it still jumps into "rescue" you way before there is any impending doom.
Twinz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Twinz For This Useful Post:
TorontoNat (11-24-2017)
Old 02-25-2020, 06:32 AM   #87
ClevelandFRS

Drives: Scion FRS 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sorry for the Necro. I still am a bit confused by these controls in my 2013 automatic frs

I am never going to drift, I like the tight controls and want whatever is safe for wet/snowy weather. If I want that, I stay in normal right?

If I want to slide around with the backend, I activate sport mode?

I am only asking because it says the VSC isn't disabled in sport mode, but rather is an assist when needed. So that means I'll be getting more slip, but if I go too far, the VSC will apply itself?

Is all that correct?
ClevelandFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 01:21 PM   #88
deca

Drives: Halo 860
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandFRS View Post
Sorry for the Necro. I still am a bit confused by these controls in my 2013 automatic frs

I am never going to drift, I like the tight controls and want whatever is safe for wet/snowy weather. If I want that, I stay in normal right?

If I want to slide around with the backend, I activate sport mode?

I am only asking because it says the VSC isn't disabled in sport mode, but rather is an assist when needed. So that means I'll be getting more slip, but if I go too far, the VSC will apply itself?

Is all that correct?
If it behaves like the Track mode on 17+, then it will allow you to slide and hold a bit of angle but intervene if you rotate faster than it likes or go to too high of an angle.

I'd recommend finding a big open space and exploring the limits of the standard mode, vsc sport and also pedal dance. The last thing you want in any mode is for your car to surprise you.
deca is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to deca For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (02-25-2020)
Old 02-25-2020, 01:44 PM   #89
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by deca View Post
If it behaves like the Track mode on 17+, then it will allow you to slide and hold a bit of angle but intervene if you rotate faster than it likes or go to too high of an angle.

I'd recommend finding a big open space and exploring the limits of the standard mode, vsc sport and also pedal dance. The last thing you want in any mode is for your car to surprise you.
Pre-17's don't work that way. Have to hold the trac off button to get it to slide. VSC still has tons of interference in vsc sport mode. There is no track mode on pre-17 cars.
Icecreamtruk (02-25-2020)
Old 02-25-2020, 03:46 PM   #90
Westen86
Purist

Drives: 2013 FRS - Hot Lava
Garage
Didnt they just rename "VSC Sport" to "Track Mode" in the Kouki models? Same function?

RaceComp SS-1, Complete SuperPro bushings, TR Motorsport FF10 17x9 +45, GruppeS UEL, HKS Hi-Power V2, OFT(93/E85)
Westen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 03:55 PM   #91
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Same function, but supposedly of better chosen compromise of it's functioning making it better received. From reviews track mode allows more slip angle and interrupts in less abrupt fashion vs VSC sport often reviewed as too quick to cut in, so not just name change.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 05:52 PM   #92
mrhayes1

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS white
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Here is the just of it. If I am driving in the wet, I don't touch anything and leave it all engaged. Other than in the wet, I drive with everything completely off all the time (hold down trac button on left for 5 seconds). This is at your own risk...I also have an auto tranny so I always put in sport mode. I don't ever touch the VSC button. The VSC button is just good for a mixture of safety and fun so it just makes traction/stability control less aggressive without turning traction control and stability completely off.

If you have an auto tranny, sport mode and snow mode have absolutely nothing to do with traction and stability. Sport and snow modes are just ECU tuned settings which tell the ECU to shift very early (snow) or hold gears long and shift late (sport).

Also, note that despite what anyone tells you, vehicle stability control is never FULLY turned off, even if you hold down the trac button for 5 seconds; it is still detectable on occasion. Vehicle stability control is what will help control your car should you be driving down the road, hit a patch of ice or water or whatever and end up sideways. Stability control will help get the car going straight and you CANNOT fully disengage this on this car or any new car for that matter.
mrhayes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 05:58 PM   #93
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhayes1 View Post
Here is the just of it. If I am driving in the wet, I don't touch anything and leave it all engaged. Other than in the wet, I drive with everything completely off all the time (hold down trac button on left for 5 seconds). This is at your own risk...I also have an auto tranny so I always put in sport mode. I don't ever touch the VSC button. The VSC button is just good for a mixture of safety and fun so it just makes traction/stability control less aggressive without turning traction control and stability completely off.

If you have an auto tranny, sport mode and snow mode have absolutely nothing to do with traction and stability. Sport and snow modes are just ECU tuned settings which tell the ECU to shift very early (snow) or hold gears long and shift late (sport).

Also, note that despite what anyone tells you, vehicle stability control is never FULLY turned off, even if you hold down the trac button for 5 seconds; it is still detectable on occasion. Vehicle stability control is what will help control your car should you be driving down the road, hit a patch of ice or water or whatever and end up sideways. Stability control will help get the car going straight and you CANNOT fully disengage this on this car or any new car for that matter.
Pedal Dance
soundman98 (02-25-2020)
Old 02-25-2020, 06:05 PM   #94
Westen86
Purist

Drives: 2013 FRS - Hot Lava
Garage
I agree that VSC Sport in a manual car is still too aggressive. I put Winmax W3 brake pads on all around and the stability control grabs REALLY hard. And yes, the 5 sec hold is about 95% off.

RaceComp SS-1, Complete SuperPro bushings, TR Motorsport FF10 17x9 +45, GruppeS UEL, HKS Hi-Power V2, OFT(93/E85)
Westen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:23 PM   #95
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
i use the press-hold for 75% my driving. my experience is that if things start going south, i prefer to only have to make corrections for the situation and my own issues, and not need to also account for the vehicle also attempting to make corrections for the things i'm already trying to correct for.