follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 08-06-2015, 02:32 PM   #29
calmtigers

Drives: 2014 Whiteout TRD FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Was wondering what the comfort is like compared to stock or stock w/ springs?

Only reason I'm staying away from coilovers is because the stiffness in day to day driving.
"I love dinosaurs so much that I’ve based my life on burning as much black melted dinosaur flesh as I can on a daily basis...even the screaming sound of prehistoric reptilians being burnt through any of the classic Japanese four cylinders gives me great joy."
calmtigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:17 PM   #30
ajc209

Drives: GT86 Cosworth
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG David View Post
Calculate the motion ratio.
Yes indeed! And if you consider corner weights the wheel frequencies come out Slightly rear biased which is not true for many after market coilovers except the trd japan ones.
ajc209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:03 PM   #31
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
TEIN Flex Z Release!

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
I seriously wonder if europe and japan really have smoother roads on average... I think @juliog would know

You haven't go on a trip? You should, now is a great time since U.S.D. is strong.

I believe most of the U.S. Use crapy kind Tarmac or something. Cuz even Canada's road is much better, probably has something to do with the fact they have more icy weather then most of the U.S. So they don't cut corners as much when it comes to road. Just saying this cuz as I drive up the pacific the road got really good by Washington. 👍
In Japan you can file a complaint on a pothole & it will be fix on the same day. 😂

Since these tein Z are not rebuildable, how long will a set last before you need to get new tubes? Any info on this?
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:29 PM   #32
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
^ I have, just not Japan or Europe. Its the same in Singapore and Taiwan roads are smoother, even if its really easy to get lost. Only straight roads they go there are the airport runways it seems. Taiwan has excellent canyon roads in terms of "twisty fun-ness" comparable to the stuff we got in socal, but there are speeding cameras around every corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
Most of the best roads in Europe have been due to back handers from the EU.... The roads in the UK are probably worse than yours
Probably a good idea for you blokes to get the stuff valved for the US market.

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:41 PM   #33
juliog

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
AFAIK, the less you work the dampers, the longer they'll last. Driving on bumpy roads often or doing track days and canyons will wear them out faster than commuting on smooth freeways.

The stock shocks on my 120,000 mile S2000 feel pretty damn good because the original owner mainly used the car for commuting. But there's other cars out there with shot stock dampers at less than 60,000 miles.
juliog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to juliog For This Useful Post:
CounterSpace Garage (08-06-2015)
Old 08-07-2015, 02:17 PM   #34
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskaze View Post
Since these tein Z are not rebuildable, how long will a set last before you need to get new tubes? Any info on this?
There are good roads and there are bad roads. They are everywhere and you can't always avoid them. All we can do is just drive and enjoy our time on the road.

With that said, longevity is really dependent on application. If you intend to rally with these coilovers, then don't expect them to last a relatively long time. I say relative because some people can manage OEM shocks for 100k+ miles, yet some people blow them after 10k miles while driving on the same roads. When it comes to TEIN's reputation, they would not bring something to market if the quality wasn't strictly controlled.
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG David For This Useful Post:
8R6 (08-08-2015), chaoskaze (08-07-2015)
Old 08-07-2015, 07:59 PM   #35
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmtigers View Post
Was wondering what the comfort is like compared to stock or stock w/ springs?

Only reason I'm staying away from coilovers is because the stiffness in day to day driving.
Much, much more comfortable.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
10Stars (08-12-2015), 93Targa (08-07-2015), calmtigers (08-09-2015)
Old 08-07-2015, 08:02 PM   #36
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

CSG guys knows when is Flex A gonna come state side? 😅 man I really want the A but if the wait is too long I guess I will go with Z.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:12 PM   #37
2JZ-GTE
What license?!

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
cant decide between megan street and flex Z now that Flex Z is cheaper.........
but spring rate 6K all around wont that be TOO soft?
2JZ-GTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 04:00 PM   #38
djliquidsteele

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Ok, so my question is, these or the ST's for daily and a few track days a year? These seem like the better value since it includes camber plates and 1-way damping adjustment, but are they a better shock all around than the ST?
djliquidsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 06:31 PM   #39
Chad11491

Drives: 85.5 Porsche 944, '15 mustang GT PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Much, much more comfortable.
That sounds good to me that these are comfortable, but do they decrease body roll from a full stock setup? I'm looking at these + LCA's since they seem to be highly recommended, but I was initially looking just at RCE Yellows to kill some wheel gap and from what I've heard, slightly increase handling performance. I autocross 3-4 times a year, but other than that this is my DD. Kind of nervous on dropping a lot of coin (relatively) on something new and relatively untested, whereas lots of people recommend the RCE's. Thanks!
Chad11491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:12 PM   #40
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JZ-GTE View Post
cant decide between megan street and flex Z now that Flex Z is cheaper.........
but spring rate 6K all around wont that be TOO soft?
Megans are junk. At least they were in the cars I have sat in. They were either too soft at low speed or too stiff at high speed, never had a good middle ground. They were bad for both comfort and for spirited driving. Megan makes everything. There are plenty of reviews, some bad, some "satisfied for the price", some happy. megan streets and track use the exact same shock and just swap the springs.

The best companies usually stick to what they are good at. Tein makes suspension and that is it. I've never seen a bad review on Tein products(except the springs being too soft and bottoming out on worn stock shocks). They make different suspension for different levels of performance/price points. Z's are a budget street coilover with camber plates, adjustable and replaceable sealed shocks. Ask megan for a replacement shock or a rebuild.

6k soft? Depends on the application. 6k is a mildly firm street setup. If you want to slam your car, these aren't for you. Too soft for slammed setups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djliquidsteele View Post
Ok, so my question is, these or the ST's for daily and a few track days a year? These seem like the better value since it includes camber plates and 1-way damping adjustment, but are they a better shock all around than the ST?
At this point there isn't many people with them. But all the information points out that they are the new budget coilovers to have with the camber plates and replaceable shocks. I would lean towards the Z's because of camber plates, and the stiffer rates and adjustable/replaceable shocks. I rode in st's in the street and they were very comfortable but slightly too soft for my taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad11491 View Post
That sounds good to me that these are comfortable, but do they decrease body roll from a full stock setup? I'm looking at these + LCA's since they seem to be highly recommended, but I was initially looking just at RCE Yellows to kill some wheel gap and from what I've heard, slightly increase handling performance. I autocross 3-4 times a year, but other than that this is my DD. Kind of nervous on dropping a lot of coin (relatively) on something new and relatively untested, whereas lots of people recommend the RCE's. Thanks!
Yes body is roll reduced.
Autocross it depends on what class you plan to run and how competitive you want to be. RCE's are 5k/5k rates and designed for stock shocks. Z's have 6k/6k rates, camber adjustment and height adjustment and shock adjustment. In this case, a full coilover setup is better than just springs alone, but that comes with a price. There are plenty of people happy with rce yellows. If money is an issue and you don't need all the adjustments, get the yellows.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:41 PM   #41
2JZ-GTE
What license?!

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
Megans are junk. At least they were in the cars I have sat in. They were either too soft at low speed or too stiff at high speed, never had a good middle ground. They were bad for both comfort and for spirited driving. Megan makes everything. There are plenty of reviews, some bad, some "satisfied for the price", some happy. megan streets and track use the exact same shock and just swap the springs.

The best companies usually stick to what they are good at. Tein makes suspension and that is it. I've never seen a bad review on Tein products(except the springs being too soft and bottoming out on worn stock shocks). They make different suspension for different levels of performance/price points. Z's are a budget street coilover with camber plates, adjustable and replaceable sealed shocks. Ask megan for a replacement shock or a rebuild.

6k soft? Depends on the application. 6k is a mildly firm street setup. If you want to slam your car, these aren't for you. Too soft for slammed setups.

I thought Tein Flez Z is not rebuildable ???!?
2JZ-GTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:48 PM   #42
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

They sale the shock for you to replace