follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 11-08-2015, 08:49 PM   #127
Coastermikey

Drives: BRZ DGM
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I was forced to install my set today, ive been a lazy effer the past couple months but my right front strut went out. Been on OEM struts and RCE yellows for 60k miles. Install went ok, had some trouble with getting the rears out since I was by myself. Rides much better, not jumping out of my seat over little stuff anymore. Im 7 clicks from full stiffness. Thanks again @counterspacegarage Oh and these paired with RCE sways and continentals is very interesting.

Last edited by Coastermikey; 11-08-2015 at 09:19 PM.
Coastermikey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Coastermikey For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (11-09-2015)
Old 11-08-2015, 10:13 PM   #128
jawn

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,757 Posts
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastermikey View Post
I was forced to install my set today, ive been a lazy effer the past couple months but my right front strut went out. Been on OEM struts and RCE yellows for 60k miles. Install went ok, had some trouble with getting the rears out since I was by myself. Rides much better, not jumping out of my seat over little stuff anymore. Im 7 clicks from full stiffness. Thanks again @counterspacegarage Oh and these paired with RCE sways and continentals is very interesting.
Interesting? Can't leave a brother hanging like that! Interesting, how?
jawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 01:56 AM   #129
Coastermikey

Drives: BRZ DGM
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawn View Post
Interesting? Can't leave a brother hanging like that! Interesting, how?
My car feels planted. Could also be from riding around on worn struts for too long. I only took the car out for a short test ride listening in on noises (didnt hear anything) and found myself on a local back road. pushed it a little and actually felt confident. Usually see the traction light come on when I hit the uneven spots but this time I didnt. That was interesting. lol
Coastermikey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coastermikey For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (11-09-2015), jawn (11-09-2015)
Old 11-09-2015, 04:56 PM   #130
DaBrz

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just had these put on and they feel great. So far, I've been on stock, Pro-kit springs, ST coils, and now these. These are the best.

Notes: I have it set to 8 clicks from full stiff.
The ride is firm but not unsettling.
It rides over bumps and road imperfections better than everything else I mentioned. Vs ST coilovers, these are much more comfortable.
The ride feels more planted and inspires more confidence.

At 8 clicks, when driving 60/70 on the highway and there are dips on the road, you do feel the car floating. I didn't feel this on the ST coilovers. Maybe if set to a stiffer setting, this will be removed or at least lessen. However, it does feel more stable through turns.

Overall, I am very pleased with my purchase and it beats coilovers in its price range. I'll try 4/5 and 5/6 to see if I can get rid of that 1 con. Also, if you have other passengers, they will enjoy the smoother ride. My wife noticed it within the first 5 minutes of being in the car (roads here are terrible).

Update: I tried 4/4, 6/7 and I'm currently running 6/6 clicks from full stiff. It's just the right amount of firmness for me and it doesn't float around anymore.

Last edited by DaBrz; 11-11-2015 at 02:20 AM.
DaBrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaBrz For This Useful Post:
buruguduy (11-16-2015), CSG Mike (11-09-2015)
Old 12-06-2015, 10:26 PM   #131
shattered_memory

Drives: Satin White BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I just installed my Tein Flex Z. I have lowered the car 1.2 inches in the front and 1 inch in the rear. My alignment specs are -.5 front and -1 rear 0 toe all around. I set the preload at 2-3 mm all around. I played around with the settings and found that the Tein recommended settings of 7 clicks from stiff front and 8 rear to be the best for a combination of comfort and performance. However, I find them to be slightly harsher than stock. Even at 10 to 12 clicks from stiff, I find that the car is just more bouncy instead of more comfortable. Am I just not setting them up correctly? The coilovers seem to be smoother over small imperfections, but harsher over bigger bumps. However, I do like the handling around corners better than stock. Any advice or input on getting a smoother street ride from these is much appreciated.

shattered_memory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:18 AM   #132
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
@shattered_memory What kind of tire pressure are you running? Maybe try a bit lower than 35psi. Also, at 12 clicks out it should be riding like a boat. Unless your set is vastly different than the one I tested, which would be very strange. I set it up initially 5 clicks out all around for a customer and his impressions after 2-3 weeks of driving was that they are still more compliant than stock (35psi tire pressures, 255/40/17595RSR tires ).

If your tire pressure is too high it may contribute to harshness in the ride.

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to solidONE For This Useful Post:
shattered_memory (12-07-2015)
Old 12-07-2015, 09:28 AM   #133
shattered_memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
@shattered_memory What kind of tire pressure are you running? Maybe try a bit lower than 35psi. Also, at 12 clicks out it should be riding like a boat. Unless your set is vastly different than the one I tested, which would be very strange. I set it up initially 5 clicks out all around for a customer and his impressions after 2-3 weeks of driving was that they are still more compliant than stock (35psi tire pressures, 255/40/17595RSR tires ).

If your tire pressure is too high it may contribute to harshness in the ride.
Yeah the ride is definitely harsher than stock. Its not unbearable, but I was hoping I would get a more comfortable ride than stock. I did check my tire pressures and they are 35 psi all around on michelin pss, which already has a soft sidewall. I'll probably give Tein an e-mail and see what they say.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:05 PM   #134
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shattered_memory View Post
Yeah the ride is definitely harsher than stock. Its not unbearable, but I was hoping I would get a more comfortable ride than stock. I did check my tire pressures and they are 35 psi all around on michelin pss, which already has a soft sidewall. I'll probably give Tein an e-mail and see what they say.
Just to be sure... you know that all the way clockwise is full stiff, right?

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 02:24 PM   #135
shattered_memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
Just to be sure... you know that all the way clockwise is full stiff, right?
Lol yes and every time I adjust the dampening I have to start from full stiff and go counterclockwise to a desired setting. I lessened the preload on the coilovers and that seemed to help. If I want more comfort, I'll probably look into the continental extreme dw tires.
The Following User Says Thank You to shattered_memory For This Useful Post:
solidONE (12-08-2015)
Old 12-19-2016, 03:19 PM   #136
Odd
#

Drives: DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Great thread - Here is my recently installed tein flex z's alignment on OEM rims and cooper tires. Should I try to re-align (I don't care about these current tires) or add-in some rear LCAs?
Odd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:53 PM   #137
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd View Post
Great thread - Here is my recently installed tein flex z's alignment on OEM rims and cooper tires. Should I try to re-align (I don't care about these current tires) or add-in some rear LCAs?
drive around some time and see if you like it.

i put -1.6 at front and -1.5 at back. yeah i have LCA

I concern your rear toe though. front is ok
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:17 PM   #138
SHWNBRZ

Drives: '08 MX5 6MT & '15 BRZ Premium 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd View Post

How many lines from the first notch (positive camber) did it take to get -1.9 degrees camber up front?

------------

The springs seem to settle some. My fonts are about 2mm higher than the rears (at 25mm) out front....

I may drop the front another 4mm or raise the back by 5mm.

[/URL]

Last edited by SHWNBRZ; 12-20-2016 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Photo upload
SHWNBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote