follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 09-22-2021, 01:45 PM   #1
Phuviano

Drives: FRS RS 2.0 #757
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Coilover install gone wrong

So a few days ago. I installed some flex z coilovers. The endlinks wouldn't come off, so i cut them. However, i cut the bar part of the endlink. So the end link ends are still stuck on the sway bar and stock front suspension. I did end up completing the coilover install. However, there are no endlinks connected to the front sway bar. My car feels very wobbly. I feel like i'm going to crash into the curb or another car when i drive it.

I also did install some spc rear lca's, i had the camber adjusted to the most positive camber setting on both sides.

I don't have any way to grind down the end links without damaging the sway bar, so i'm thinking of just buying a new one.

Are the frs and brz oem front sway bars the same? Called Toyota, they said 2-3 weeks but its $25 cheaper. Called subaru said its 2-3 days.

Also is the wobble due no sway bar connected? or can my alignment be off that much that it causes the car to wobble side to side.

Fyi, everything was torqued down to spec the guide on this forum. I have no weird noises, just side to side wobble. The wobble is just at the front. The rear seems stable.
Phuviano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 01:56 PM   #2
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phuviano View Post
Also is the wobble due no sway bar connected? or can my alignment be off that much that it causes the car to wobble side to side.
Sounds like both things are causing you trouble. You can get the car aligned before you get the swaybar, that would be my priority.

Pre-facelift cars have the same swaybars so get whichever one you want;
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49659

Take it easy and drive safe in the meantime.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Phuviano (09-22-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 04:02 PM   #3
RayRay88

Drives: 2017 86 860 Special Edition
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phuviano View Post
So a few days ago. I installed some flex z coilovers. The endlinks wouldn't come off, so i cut them. However, i cut the bar part of the endlink. So the end link ends are still stuck on the sway bar and stock front suspension. I did end up completing the coilover install. However, there are no endlinks connected to the front sway bar. My car feels very wobbly. I feel like i'm going to crash into the curb or another car when i drive it.

I also did install some spc rear lca's, i had the camber adjusted to the most positive camber setting on both sides.

I don't have any way to grind down the end links without damaging the sway bar, so i'm thinking of just buying a new one.

Are the frs and brz oem front sway bars the same? Called Toyota, they said 2-3 weeks but its $25 cheaper. Called subaru said its 2-3 days.

Fyi, everything was torqued down to spec the guide on this forum. I have no weird noises, just side to side wobble. The wobble is just at the front. The rear seems stable.
If you have a tap and die set, clean the threads thoroughly with a wire brush and run a die over it. The end link nut came off like butter after.
RayRay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RayRay88 For This Useful Post:
Phuviano (09-22-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 04:07 PM   #4
alphasaur
friendly

Drives: 17' 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I've done adjustable rear control arms before and camber bolts up front with full intention of getting an alignment right after and holy moly the car felt like I was on ice skates. Get an alignment for sure.
Phuviano (09-22-2021), strat61caster (09-22-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 04:45 PM   #5
Purist

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Sounds like the 'wobble' is bump steer. Due to lowering. Also, toe out decreases straight line stability.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2021, 04:48 PM   #6
villainous_frx
Off to the track!

Drives: '14 Lava 86, '13 WRB BRZ
Thanked 1,134 Times in 457 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Buy new endlinks, take the bar (or car) to a shop and ask them to take the old endlinks off. It should cost like $50 max.
Old 09-22-2021, 05:20 PM   #7
BigTuna

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Get an alignment ASAP. Lowering will change all your alignment specs, and adding in adjustable LCAs will only compound the issue. If you maxed positive camber, you likely have a bunch of toe out in the rear, which makes it feel like the back wants to come around all the time. Try adjusting to max negative camber. That should bring toe back in, and help the car at straight and not feel like the back wants to come around all the time.

Front sway bars are the same between cars. Having it disconnected will just cause more roll in the front. As mentioned, get new links, and take it to a shop. They shouldn't have any issues replacing the links.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Sounds like the 'wobble' is bump steer. Due to lowering. Also, toe out decreases straight line stability.
Bump steer is a function of the steering tie rod length vs the front LCA length. Lowering the car won't have an effect on this.
Old 09-22-2021, 07:44 PM   #8
Purist

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTuna View Post

Bump steer is a function of the steering tie rod length vs the front LCA length. Lowering the car won't have an effect on this.
Okay cool. I've been misinformed. I was told that lowering the car and changing the angle of the LCA (edit: actually the tie rods not the LCA) would cause a change in bump steer characteristics. (Then was told I need bump steer correction tie rod ends)

Last edited by Purist; 09-22-2021 at 09:39 PM.
Purist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 07:52 PM   #9
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Buy this guy:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-2016-S...-127632-2357-0

Cheapest used front bar on eBay, but also comes with whiteline endlinks!
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:03 PM   #10
VIP BRZ

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Honestly, I run without a front sway bar and my butt dyno feels 0 difference

its certainly not "wobbly"
VIP BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 11:22 PM   #11
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Okay cool. I've been misinformed. I was told that lowering the car and changing the angle of the LCA (edit: actually the tie rods not the LCA) would cause a change in bump steer characteristics. (Then was told I need bump steer correction tie rod ends)

Shops make money selling parts

That being said some cars are more affected by lowering then others, what's necessary on one chassis may not be on another, this car does just fine with moderate lowering.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 11:57 PM   #12
Phuviano

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTuna View Post
Get an alignment ASAP. Lowering will change all your alignment specs, and adding in adjustable LCAs will only compound the issue. If you maxed positive camber, you likely have a bunch of toe out in the rear, which makes it feel like the back wants to come around all the time. Try adjusting to max negative camber. That should bring toe back in, and help the car at straight and not feel like the back wants to come around all the time.

Front sway bars are the same between cars. Having it disconnected will just cause more roll in the front. As mentioned, get new links, and take it to a shop. They shouldn't have any issues replacing the links.
Upon further inspection, it does look like i have toe out in the rear. I will try with max negative camber. Thanks for your detailed reply.

I got someone to donate their front sway bar to me. So looks like everything is going to work out fine now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phuviano For This Useful Post:
BigTuna (09-23-2021), VIP BRZ (09-23-2021)
Old 09-23-2021, 02:11 PM   #13
Phuviano

Ok, so today i took big tuna's advice. I adjusted the camber, and to max negative all around. I no longer get the wobble. So my car is driveable. However two new problems now.

1) steering wheel isn't straight, but i would assume an alignment will fix that.

2) i have an abs light on the dash, and traction control off (car symbol with swiggly lines underneath), on the dash.

I made sure that both front wires on each side of the front coilovers went under the two 19mm bolts.

Any insights on this would be great. Thanks again guys.
Old 09-23-2021, 02:19 PM   #14
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Go get an alignment.

You are probably getting a light because the TCS isn't properly correlating steering angle with wheel speeds.
Phuviano (09-23-2021), strat61caster (09-23-2021)