follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 02-08-2018, 01:19 PM   #29
ImAdopted
Super Saiyan

Drives: 9000 HP FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
i found this suspension package, is there anything else i will need or does this include everything needed?
or am i better of with a coil setup? my car is dd all year round
https://www.ft86motorsports.com/ft-8...whiteline.html

Last edited by ImAdopted; 02-08-2018 at 01:57 PM.
ImAdopted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:53 PM   #30
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImAdopted View Post
i found this suspension package, is there anything else i will need or does this include everything needed?
or am i better of with a coil setup? my car is dd all year round
https://www.ft86motorsports.com/ft-8...whiteline.html
Those are strut inserts for the front (at least based on the picture and the price), you have to cut apart your OE dampers/struts to install them, not very fun.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=999255

The parts are probably what I would try for my car on a budget setup, but I'd spend the extra money on the full koni strut housing. I was about to comment on the price being a few hundred too much, than I realized Canada so the price on that site is probably better than the vendors I would use, but I wouldn't get inserts.

http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/koni...l#.WnypDSXwb0M
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
ImAdopted (02-08-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 03:15 PM   #31
ImAdopted
Super Saiyan

Drives: 9000 HP FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Those are strut inserts for the front (at least based on the picture and the price), you have to cut apart your OE dampers/struts to install them, not very fun.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=999255

The parts are probably what I would try for my car on a budget setup, but I'd spend the extra money on the full koni strut housing. I was about to comment on the price being a few hundred too much, than I realized Canada so the price on that site is probably better than the vendors I would use, but I wouldn't get inserts.

http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/koni...l#.WnypDSXwb0M
ah okay glad someone caught that cause i sure didnt lol i thought it was everything in full but since thats not the case ill just look for full parts.. and learn to read
Old 02-08-2018, 04:48 PM   #32
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImAdopted View Post
ah okay glad someone caught that cause i sure didnt lol i thought it was everything in full but since thats not the case ill just look for full parts.. and learn to read
The website isn't obvious, but the picture is if you know what to look for when it comes to buying Koni's.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
ImAdopted (02-08-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 12:26 AM   #33
carlovestela

Drives: 2015 Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Bc racing or tein flex z coils?
Which is better for daily drive?
carlovestela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 12:38 AM   #34
jamal

Drives: Legacy GT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlovestela View Post
Bc racing or tein flex z coils?
Which is better for daily drive?
Does it have to be one of those two? If you're looking for daily driver suspension there are better options in the same price range. Bilstein B6/B8 and RCE springs for example.
jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jamal For This Useful Post:
why? (02-23-2019)
Old 02-17-2018, 05:32 AM   #35
Spawn_Of_Creation
Human

Drives: 2015 BRZ Black
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyin86x View Post
If you're not into tracking, then I'd personally recommend against the KW V3 because of the cost. Those are for the guys who are hardcore track junkies that want to fine tune their suspension at the track and also they set it up differently depending upon which track they go to that weekend.
KW V1 don't have fine tune adjustment, but come with a lifetime warranty. They are made of stainless and fair well against weather and heavy use.

If they are still out of your budget, KW has a sister company ST Suspensions. ST has XA and XTA coilovers that are the exact same as the KW's but made of zinc coated steel. They are cheaper, and come with 5 year warranties. I personally don't recommend them for areas with heavily salted roads. For the price of just over $800 for the KW V1 equivalent, you cant get much better than that.

Last edited by Spawn_Of_Creation; 02-17-2018 at 05:43 AM.
Spawn_Of_Creation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 11:30 AM   #36
GrantedTaken
Banned

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Sounds like you should go back to the stock suspension.
I bet you can find a used one for sale since most go the other way,
GrantedTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:46 PM   #37
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Agree, go to stock or stock with TRD/STI drop springs.
/endthread
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:27 AM   #38
TLD

Drives: GT86
Hey everyone, so I asked about suspension replacement here and I finally got a set of 17+ brz suspension when ~6k miles on them. I think I'm on the right direction but here are a few new questions I hope someone could help me with:

1. Now the stock suspension is soft, it rolls more during hard cornering. Should I get anti-roll bar now? Any recommendations for street use? What combination should I go for front and rear?
2. I noticed when I try to power oversteer the car in low speed (doing donut), I get tyre hop at the front and would only understeer. If I turn right the left tyre hops if I turn left the right tyre hops. Is this a problem or just how the stock suspension is?

Thanks in advance.
TLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:10 AM   #39
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Suspension upgrade recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLD View Post
Hey everyone, so I asked about suspension replacement here and I finally got a set of 17+ brz suspension when ~6k miles on them. I think I'm on the right direction but here are a few new questions I hope someone could help me with:

1. Now the stock suspension is soft, it rolls more during hard cornering. Should I get anti-roll bar now? Any recommendations for street use? What combination should I go for front and rear?
2. I noticed when I try to power oversteer the car in low speed (doing donut), I get tyre hop at the front and would only understeer. If I turn right the left tyre hops if I turn left the right tyre hops. Is this a problem or just how the stock suspension is?

Thanks in advance.

I paired the '17 suspension on my '13 with the Perrin 19mm adjustable front bar (soft setting) and the 16mm adjustable rear bar (medium setting). OEM crash bolts up front for a bit of camber. This worked out wonderfully on balance. It rolls less than the '13 suspension, and it sticks really well, but when reaching the limit the rear breaks away very gradually and in a controlled fashion.

Last edited by Yoshoobaroo; 02-23-2019 at 10:44 AM.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
TLD (02-24-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 12:50 PM   #40
Vital

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLD View Post

Thanks in advance.
Since you are on Hong Kong look into getting Subaru STI Pink springs i think it should work well for your needs. You might need the stiffer rear sway bar in the rear with the 2017 suspension
Vital is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vital For This Useful Post:
TLD (02-24-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 01:40 PM   #41
CounterSpace Garage

Drives: Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 Experts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
We're very familiar with the roads in Hong Kong and believe you'll find the CSG Flex As to be very good for your use. They can be dialed in for excellent spirited driving (and even track days) and also a couple clicks down will be excellent for day to day driving.
CounterSpace Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CounterSpace Garage For This Useful Post:
TLD (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 11:28 PM   #42
TLD

Drives: GT86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
I paired the '17 suspension on my '13 with the Perrin 19mm adjustable front bar (soft setting) and the 16mm adjustable rear bar (medium setting). OEM crash bolts up front for a bit of camber. This worked out wonderfully on balance. It rolls less than the '13 suspension, and it sticks really well, but when reaching the limit the rear breaks away very gradually and in a controlled fashion.
This really helpful. Also it is nice that the Perrin bars have quite a large range of adjustment. Thanks!
TLD is offline   Reply With Quote