follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 08-12-2016, 10:16 PM   #71
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,516 Times in 18,918 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfaffendorn View Post
Thanks for the reassurance. I've been driving the car only seven months, so some things are still new to me. The noise in the rear started out almost undetectable, and has become louder over time, which made me suspicious. The next service isn't too far off -- I'll relax for now and have it looked at when the time comes.

I'll even guess that it didn't change, you did. You're becoming more confident accelerating through turns so it's grabbing harder.
Old 08-13-2016, 01:42 AM   #72
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewtgg View Post
How do you manage to get the power cut just changing lanes? I've read a couple people saying that has happened to them, but it has never happened to me before.
It can happen very easily just running snow tires on dry pavement. And yes, even with the 5-second disable VSC (e-diff, whatever) kicks in with the slightest wheelspin in snow, ice, or most frustratingly, standing water.
Old 08-13-2016, 01:12 PM   #73
justatroll

Drives: Full race 4cyl boxer
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
It can happen very easily just running snow tires on dry pavement. And yes, even with the 5-second disable VSC (e-diff, whatever) kicks in with the slightest wheelspin in snow, ice, or most frustratingly, standing water.
I am beginning to think different cars have different levels of sensitivity.
In mine I have to REALLY be acting like a jackass to get the system to step in on the street on dry pavement.

I think it also gives us bad habits. If I accelerate as hard as the car is capable of when leaving a light making a left turn, the system blinks once telling me it intervened to keep the ass from going out, but passengers dont even notice unless they are looking at the dash. (Its not a violent intervention).

Doing that in any of my Supras would have left me in the intersection backwards.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:05 PM   #74
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by justatroll View Post
I am beginning to think different cars have different levels of sensitivity.
In mine I have to REALLY be acting like a jackass to get the system to step in on the street on dry pavement.

I think it also gives us bad habits. If I accelerate as hard as the car is capable of when leaving a light making a left turn, the system blinks once telling me it intervened to keep the ass from going out, but passengers dont even notice unless they are looking at the dash. (Its not a violent intervention).

Doing that in any of my Supras would have left me in the intersection backwards.
Possibly a matter of calibration. IIRC it's quite a process.

I've noticed a few modes of intervention. It first pulls throttle and will do so without notification. I have noticed this most when driving in the wet. It also feeds out throttle at its own pace when in a turn. The 5-second push has no effect on this. Pedal dance cuts it.

Then there's the braking intervention that happens when it senses single-wheel loss of traction. In most cases I agree if that kicks in, sure, the driver could probably use a reality check. However, last winter I could swear it tapped the odd rear wheel brake and didn't give me the blinky light. This also was with the 5-second push.

I just wish they would publish the specs in detail. There is a lot going on all the time.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:52 PM   #75
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
How do you manage to get the power cut just changing lanes? I've read a couple people saying that has happened to them, but it has never happened to me before.
You know how you get those deep grooves, especially in the summer, in the right lane where heavy trucks tend to travel? When you accelerate out of that lane and over the hump sometimes a wheel lifts for a second then bounces as it lands. This can be enough to make it happen and if somebody is coming up on you they don't expect you to slow down suddenly when you were being aggressive. So can bumpy on-ramps if you're gettin' after it and then the road goes to shit.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:58 PM   #76
brz11b

Drives: United States
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
im lazy so the fact i have to turn it off everrtime i get in the car is to much work. so i just leave it on 99% of the time.
brz11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:40 PM   #77
andrewtgg

Drives: Release Series 1.0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
You know how you get those deep grooves, especially in the summer, in the right lane where heavy trucks tend to travel? When you accelerate out of that lane and over the hump sometimes a wheel lifts for a second then bounces as it lands. This can be enough to make it happen and if somebody is coming up on you they don't expect you to slow down suddenly when you were being aggressive. So can bumpy on-ramps if you're gettin' after it and then the road goes to shit.
that seems scary, how long do you lose power for?
andrewtgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 12:00 AM   #78
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justatroll View Post
People were able to commute to work before there were such things as seatbelts too. Is that a sufficient argument to say that we should not use them now? I mean they are kind of a pain in the ass...
And those air bag things have been known to kill you!
In fairness, this isn't a Honda forum and I don't think we have Takata airbags in our cars.

Too soon?
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:23 PM   #79
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Garage
Driven on street with button held down on startup to 'disable' TC and VSC systems, whether wet or dry. I especially make sure the systems are 'off' in the wet. The systems seem to not work properly with grippy aftermarket tires... main issue is it stupidly cuts power when turning from a stop at an intersection under hard acceleration. The 205/45-17 Continental ExtremeContact DW's I run are too much tire for the systems, especialy with wet grip that is better than the stock tire dry grip. And if you forget to turn the systems 'off' when on track the ABS system freaks out and goes crazy and you can get power cut on you going into the apex, sport VSC mode on the fly does nothing to allieviate the problem - you have to 'fully disable' the systems at a minimum. I'm going to get a custom tailored Beastronix OBDII controller setup to permamently run with the systems normally 'off' at startup, then Pedal Dance at the flick of a switch plus ABS off additionally available at the flick of another switch for track use. As the car will be paid off and title in my name next year I'm starting to get it ready for track use...
Old 08-14-2016, 09:30 PM   #80
atlbrz

Drives: Hyper Blue BRZ
Mine is was too intrusive. It activated in a round-about the other day as I was trying to excellerate and exit the round-about.
atlbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:45 PM   #81
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlbrz View Post
Mine is was too intrusive. It activated in a round-about the other day as I was trying to excellerate and exit the round-about.
Ummm, excuse me, but...

ac·cel·er·ate
əkˈseləˌrāt/
verb
verb: accelerate; 3rd person present: accelerates; past tense: accelerated; past participle: accelerated; gerund or present participle: accelerating
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:29 PM   #82
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
that seems scary, how long do you lose power for?
Just a second or two but that's enough for the car to slow a few mph which can catch someone behind and coming up fast off guard. It's not like a total power loss just a reduction in power until the car settles and the computer catches up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlbrz View Post
Mine is was too intrusive. It activated in a round-about the other day as I was trying to accellerate and exit the round-about.
Frustrating isn't it.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:18 PM   #83
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
Just a second or two but that's enough for the car to slow a few mph which can catch someone behind and coming up fast off guard. It's not like a total power loss just a reduction in power until the car settles and the computer catches up.

Frustrating isn't it.
WWTD

Old 08-15-2016, 09:17 PM   #84
atlbrz

Drives: Hyper Blue BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
Ummm, excuse me, but...

ac·cel·er·ate
əkˈseləˌrāt/
verb
verb: accelerate; 3rd person present: accelerates; past tense: accelerated; past participle: accelerated; gerund or present participle: accelerating
but I excel at accelerating so it is excellerate My poor spelling doesn't negate the crappy stability system on the car. I think it is the weakest aspect of the car. I wish Subaru would offer an upgrade to the software for the stabilty control.
atlbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to atlbrz For This Useful Post:
new2subaru (08-16-2016)