follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-11-2016, 11:27 AM   #15
Gear_One_Performance

Drives: 2014 BRZ SCCA STU endurance car
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddemon View Post
Lowerd an inch on Eibach Pro.. And would erasing a trouble code be like "clearing the ecu"
Yeah any time you erase a code, clear the ecu or take the battery off for more than a minute or two the ecu will need to relearn the throttle, so that part is normal.
Gear_One_Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gear_One_Performance For This Useful Post:
speeddemon (05-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 11:39 AM   #16
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSheep View Post
Never hurts to call and ask a dealership about any recalls for your vehicle.
Quote:
That's exactly what happened.... I should reflash to stock and take her down to the stealership and see what the deal is maybe? Or is there a better way to find recalls

I don't believe the manual has the connector in question mentioned in the recall it's in the foot well, also all the engine lights would stay on when the issue occured
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
MisterSheep (05-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 02:27 PM   #17
NyC Zn6

Drives: 10 Series #974 6m/t
Thanked 1,140 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
I tried to get closer and then a lady came out of her trailer (probably 100 yards off) and called the dog. He limped home however she didn't seem too concerned? I got out of there before she tried to blame me for hitting the dog.... who knows what people will do these days..
humanity restored.
NyC Zn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:11 PM   #18
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,795 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Reminds me of back-in-the-day ..... late one night, while on maneuvers in the German countryside, my jeep driver hit a wild hog. The damn thing was laying in the ditch squealing, so I told my driver to take his M-14 and put it out of its misery.

He had his selector lever on full automatic and emptied the whole damn clip into the hog. What a mess that made! I admonished him for using too much ammunition ...... he said he just wanted to make sure it was dead.

About that time, a Forestmeister pulled up behind us with his little blue light flashing. Screw it, I was not about to try to explain what really happened ....... I figured he would tag us for hunting wild boar.

So, I ordered my jeep driver to take off through the woods, with the forestmeister in hot pursuit, in his little VW wagon.

Yep, we outran him .........

What was this thread about ..........

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
86MLR (03-31-2019), jawn (05-11-2016), jcw99 (04-17-2019), soundman98 (03-31-2019)
Old 05-11-2016, 03:36 PM   #19
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Reminds me of back-in-the-day ..... late one night, while on maneuvers in the German countryside, my jeep driver hit a wild hog. The damn thing was laying in the ditch squealing, so I told my driver to take his M-14 and put it out of its misery.

He had his selector lever on full automatic and emptied the whole damn clip into the hog. What a mess that made! I admonished him for using too much ammunition ...... he said he just wanted to make sure it was dead.

About that time, a Forestmeister pulled up behind us with his little blue light flashing. Screw it, I was not about to try to explain what really happened ....... I figured he would tag us for hunting wild boar.

So, I ordered my jeep driver to take off through the woods, with the forestmeister in hot pursuit, in his little VW wagon.

Yep, we outran him .........

What was this thread about ..........

humfrz
Hum!!!!! You know those guys never give up! Right now there is some old guy in Germany franticly checking flights to Washington. He has an outstanding poaching ticket for 20DM and somebody is going to pay it.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:44 PM   #20
ScoobsMcGee
Junior Senior with Cheese

Drives: 15 BRZ
Thanked 7,013 Times in 2,337 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Hum!!!!! You know those guys never give up! Right now there is some old guy in Germany franticly checking flights to Washington. He has an outstanding poaching ticket for 20DM and somebody is going to pay it.
ScoobsMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ScoobsMcGee For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-11-2016), ZionsWrath (05-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 04:05 PM   #21
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,795 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
hmmmm........maybe I should have had my driver shoot him, after he reloaded......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 05:52 PM   #22
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
Weirdest thing happened yesterday. I pull over to the side of the road (actually to check on a stray dog that looked like he had a broken leg), and I turn the key off. I get out of the car and it sounds like its still running....and it is! I take the key totally out of the ignition and it is STILL RUNNING. The digitial odometer and MPH go blank and I can still drive the car without the key in the igninition. I start driving and the engine light comes on.. I plug in my scanner and it says "lost communication with vehicle dynamics". I erased the code and then it felt like the throttle as a "dead spot" when pulling out - similar to when I first flashed OFT and car was learning. I thought maybe plugging it it messed with my tune so I reflashed to Stage 2 UEL. Maybe it needs to relearn.... Anyone else have anything like this happen?

Hard to work out what going on but

1. Tune is written to ecu flash memory and is not erased or altered if battery flattened or ecu reset or anything else. Then only way to alter or erase a "tune" is to flash in a new one.

2. You will get error codes sometimes if you plug/unplug devices including the OFT, Bluetooth adapters etc. into the cars OBD port (or the cable falls out or is loose or your obd port is worn). This is because the obd port is on the CAN buss which most of the cars control units including the ECU VSC Imobiliser and other units communicate on. Plugging/unplugging devices into the obd port while car is on can momentarily interrupt these communications causing weird stuff to happen and errors codes to be logged and sometimes cause ECU to go into limp home mode.

3. If you reflash or reset ecu with battery removal, or clear error codes with obd scanner this will effectively reset ecu and clear learned parameters such as knock correction table, learned fueling info, throttle and cam position sensor calibration ect, this may make the car feel sluggish or "different" for a few drive cycles. It does not however effect the "tune" stored in the flash memory, just erases the learned parameters in the RAM area of the ecu or other control modules.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-11-2016), jcw99 (04-17-2019), LimitedSlip (03-31-2019), speeddemon (05-12-2016), Thedishdoc (04-01-2019)
Old 04-01-2018, 04:40 AM   #23
Eazy-V

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Hard to work out what going on but

1. Tune is written to ecu flash memory and is not erased or altered if battery flattened or ecu reset or anything else. Then only way to alter or erase a "tune" is to flash in a new one.

2. You will get error codes sometimes if you plug/unplug devices including the OFT, Bluetooth adapters etc. into the cars OBD port (or the cable falls out or is loose or your obd port is worn). This is because the obd port is on the CAN buss which most of the cars control units including the ECU VSC Imobiliser and other units communicate on. Plugging/unplugging devices into the obd port while car is on can momentarily interrupt these communications causing weird stuff to happen and errors codes to be logged and sometimes cause ECU to go into limp home mode.

3. If you reflash or reset ecu with battery removal, or clear error codes with obd scanner this will effectively reset ecu and clear learned parameters such as knock correction table, learned fueling info, throttle and cam position sensor calibration ect, this may make the car feel sluggish or "different" for a few drive cycles. It does not however effect the "tune" stored in the flash memory, just erases the learned parameters in the RAM area of the ecu or other control modules.
I just changed my battery and let the car idle for 5mins then drove it around. Stopped at store then when I re-started the car and drove around for few mins, I went into WOT with boost 10-11psi where the car sputtered and lost power. I tried it again and same thing. Is this related the ECU reset and learning process?

The car was sitting for a few weeks, but never did this before.

1993 Mazda MX6 N/A Fully Built on MegaSquirt (work in progress)
2023 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 Stock
Eazy-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:35 AM   #24
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazy-V View Post
I just changed my battery and let the car idle for 5mins then drove it around. Stopped at store then when I re-started the car and drove around for few mins, I went into WOT with boost 10-11psi where the car sputtered and lost power. I tried it again and same thing. Is this related the ECU reset and learning process?

The car was sitting for a few weeks, but never did this before.

that sounds like overboost failsafe activated and shut off power
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 11:53 AM   #25
Eazy-V

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
that sounds like overboost failsafe activated and shut off power
That’s what I initially thought, but it seems weird that it never did it before the battery change. All my EcuTek maps and Boost Controller settings are the same.

1993 Mazda MX6 N/A Fully Built on MegaSquirt (work in progress)
2023 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 Stock
Eazy-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 07:07 PM   #26
Gfunk

Drives: 2013 frs '91 s13 sr20 89 4runner
Hey I know this is an old thread and I dont post in here often but I am having the same problem with my car not shutting off when I turn the key off. Only happens after at least a 30 min drive.

Throwing codes U0122 lost control with vehical dynamic control, P0463 fuel level sensor A high, and P0420 for my absence of my pre cat but that has been on and off intermittently for 3 years since I put the borla header on.

I kill the car by stalling it out since it's a manual. Once I turn it on again it will turn off perfectly fine and no codes. After a 30 min or more drive and I try to shut it off same problem traction control light comes on and it starts throwing codes.

I thought at first the alternator was backfeeding. Replaced the alternator and still having issues. Next I was planning on checking the ignition switch.

I also do have a sync up and drive device from t mobile plugged into my obd2 port. It monitors your car if there is a break in, has a GPS tracker and shows you engine codes. Next step also is unplug it and go for a drive and see if I still have the issue.

Here is a list of all mods to the car.

2013 frs
Rsenthalpy tune
Borla Uel header
Cat back
Coilovers, rear upper control arms and rear toe arms
After market radio with small sub and amp

Any advice is appreciated I will keep you guys posted if I figure anything out. Thank you.
Gfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 03:16 AM   #27
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfunk View Post
Hey I know this is an old thread and I dont post in here often but I am having the same problem with my car not shutting off when I turn the key off. Only happens after at least a 30 min drive.

Throwing codes U0122 lost control with vehical dynamic control, P0463 fuel level sensor A high, and P0420 for my absence of my pre cat but that has been on and off intermittently for 3 years since I put the borla header on.

I kill the car by stalling it out since it's a manual. Once I turn it on again it will turn off perfectly fine and no codes. After a 30 min or more drive and I try to shut it off same problem traction control light comes on and it starts throwing codes.

I thought at first the alternator was backfeeding. Replaced the alternator and still having issues. Next I was planning on checking the ignition switch.

I also do have a sync up and drive device from t mobile plugged into my obd2 port. It monitors your car if there is a break in, has a GPS tracker and shows you engine codes. Next step also is unplug it and go for a drive and see if I still have the issue.

Here is a list of all mods to the car.

2013 frs
Rsenthalpy tune
Borla Uel header
Cat back
Coilovers, rear upper control arms and rear toe arms
After market radio with small sub and amp

Any advice is appreciated I will keep you guys posted if I figure anything out. Thank you.

You have a tune yet you still get a sporadic P0420? Wouldn't trust that tune at all if someone wasn't smart enough to disable that. Also you threw an alternator at the car without properly diagnosing it?

Also don't go plugging stuff into your OBD2 port like that crap tmobile device or any other device similar to what insurance companies want. You've got a canbus error so I can only assume that you should flash back to a stock tune, disconnect the obd2 device and let the car relearn and see if the issues continue.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (04-17-2019), Tcoat (03-31-2019)
Old 04-01-2019, 11:45 AM   #28
Gfunk

Drives: 2013 frs '91 s13 sr20 89 4runner
Alternator was pretty easy to do that's why I tried it first but I guess I could have saved my time. Yea I pulled that scanner out of my obd2 port hopefully that helps.

As far as my tunner I installed my uel header the night before I got my tune. Check engine light didnt pop up yet. He asked me if I threw a code since he didnt see one.
Gfunk is offline   Reply With Quote