follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-10-2015, 12:41 PM   #57
DAN_BRZ

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Sport Tech
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
where did u have to notch the fan shroud?!?!
JDL UEL PERRIN EXHAUST 2.5" OP 3" CATTED F 3" CATBACK - PERRIN MOUNTS PERRIN PULLEY KIT WHITELINE BUSHINGS WILDWOOD BBK ACT CLUTCH & FLYWHEEL KW V3 MTEC KARTBOY SS SEIBON ROOF SPOILER & FRONT LIP 57XTREME 18x9.5 +40 W/ 255/55/R18 MICHELIN PSS
DAN_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 03:25 PM   #58
Andreas83

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN_BRZ View Post
where did u have to notch the fan shroud?!?!
I decided to build a custom shroud and use two spal fans.
But to use the stock shroud you will have to cut in either the shroud or the brace in the area around the top edge of the radiator.
I considered using a hole saw in the dimples on the brace before i decided to make a new fan shroud.
Also check clearances at the end of the top bolt for the hood latch.
Its really close to the radiator. I am going to cut it a bit.

2013 BRZ, kraftwerks supercharged.
Skunk2 Ultra radiator with oilcooler
KW v3 - enkei 17x9 with PSS
Andreas83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andreas83 For This Useful Post:
DAN_BRZ (04-10-2015), Teclis (05-13-2015)
Old 06-02-2015, 12:34 AM   #59
SPCorBUST

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
were you able to get this to fit?
SPCorBUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 03:29 PM   #60
Andreas83

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCorBUST View Post
were you able to get this to fit?
Almost done. Got the new fittings today.
I ordered the wrong ones first because skunk2 gave me wrong info on the threads.
I got the stock fan shroud to fit.
I trimmes down the rubber pieces in the bottom a bit.
With the cooler lower it clears the radiator brace without rubbing.
But this thing has been a nightmare to install combined with the supercharger kit.
Moved the ac condensor sideways and the intercooler forward to make room for the compressor oil cooler.
The first thing i am doing tomorrow is drilling a hole in the chassie for the top oil port.
I also have to figure out a new solution for the bov valve.
Its squised in between the silicon hose going out from the supercharger and the fan shroud.
I have to relocate it....

I will post some pics tomorrow.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andreas83 For This Useful Post:
Calum (06-04-2015), DAEMANO (06-05-2015), nivek111070 (06-04-2015)
Old 06-04-2015, 11:17 PM   #61
SPCorBUST

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas83 View Post
Almost done. Got the new fittings today.
I ordered the wrong ones first because skunk2 gave me wrong info on the threads.
I got the stock fan shroud to fit.
I trimmes down the rubber pieces in the bottom a bit.
With the cooler lower it clears the radiator brace without rubbing.
But this thing has been a nightmare to install combined with the supercharger kit.
Moved the ac condensor sideways and the intercooler forward to make room for the compressor oil cooler.
The first thing i am doing tomorrow is drilling a hole in the chassie for the top oil port.
I also have to figure out a new solution for the bov valve.
Its squised in between the silicon hose going out from the supercharger and the fan shroud.
I have to relocate it....

I will post some pics tomorrow.
It definitely sounds like a nightmare... My sympathies go out to you man!
Setup 5: JR C30 HBP, DW 700, DW 300, 3bar, FlexFuel, Delicious, Built Motor
Setup 6: JR C30 HBP, DW 700, DW 300, 3bar, FlexFuel, Delicious, Closed Deck Built Motor
SPCorBUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 06:12 PM   #62
Andreas83

Installed the oil hoses today.

Added some rubber trim for extra safety.
Its pretty tight, but it does not rub when pulling and pushing the radiator.
It feels so wrong to use a holesaw on a 2013 car...
Begging and praying that it will be worth it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andreas83 For This Useful Post:
Calum (06-05-2015), DAEMANO (06-05-2015), Hyper4mance2k (06-09-2015)
Old 06-05-2015, 06:16 PM   #63
empower-auto
Kouki-Monster

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ITT: you can buy Skunk2 on Walmart.com now
Old 06-05-2015, 08:34 PM   #64
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Absolutely fucking ridiculous. This product alone is enough to make me never buy anything they sell. How the hell did this go to market?
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (06-08-2015), Freeman (06-16-2015), Hyper4mance2k (06-09-2015)
Old 06-08-2015, 09:05 PM   #65
86SPEED

Drives: The silvertrooper 10 series
Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
Absolutely fucking ridiculous. This product alone is enough to make me never buy anything they sell. How the hell did this go to market?
Because no where did it say it was a drop in piece, you are adding aftermarket parts to your car, this one is way over kill and maore for a race car then a street car. Some places make stuff that require modification, others bolt right in, Skunk does both, bolt in Alpha radiators, and then the Ultras that require modification. if you dont want to modify your car, then buy a alpha and a oil cooler problem solved. If you dont mind modifying your car then get the Ultra. This went to market for the People that are building cars that would require this much work to fit. Not for your everyday Joe. That said they wont sell this to just anyone now.

-Thomas
86SPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86SPEED For This Useful Post:
Strife26 (09-08-2018)
Old 06-08-2015, 10:27 PM   #66
Calum
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fteightysix View Post
Because no where did it say it was a drop in piece, you are adding aftermarket parts to your car, this one is way over kill and maore for a race car then a street car. Some places make stuff that require modification, others bolt right in, Skunk does both, bolt in Alpha radiators, and then the Ultras that require modification. if you dont want to modify your car, then buy a alpha and a oil cooler problem solved. If you dont mind modifying your car then get the Ultra. This went to market for the People that are building cars that would require this much work to fit. Not for your everyday Joe. That said they wont sell this to just anyone now.

-Thomas

Having the engine coolant control the oil temperature is not overkill for an everyday driver and would be a horrible idea for a race car. Given the size and efficiency of any cooler that would fit in that end tank, a race car would quickly overwhelm it. A race car is exactly the place for a separate oil cooler. A street car with a water cooled oil cooler, on the other hand, would benefit from quicker oil warm up, and wouldn't have to worry about over cooling the oil. And yes, over cooling is a concern even with a temperature controlled plate.

Even in race conditions this car doesn't need increased water cooling capacity as has been shown by plenty of racers.

The difficulties with installing this come from two aspects. One, Skunk doesn't know what size port they used when they designed/fabricated it. And I use the term designed, very loosely. If I'm buying a part for a dedicated race car the company making it damn well better know what parts they used to make.

Two, they didn't even take the time to fit the unit to a car. If they had they would have realized that by putting the top port on the side they are requiring the use of a sharp bend that will increase the pressure drop of the system, and they are requiring a hole be cut in the car. By simply moving the port to the back of the radiator they could have increased ease of installation and performance without sacrificing the length of the oil cooler.

Also, even after inquiring, Skunk will not release any information about what is actually in that end tank. Given the price, I think it's a safe bet that it isn't a laminova core. It could be a few other things, but I'm guessing it's just a tube running from one port to the other. This probably has all the cooling capacity of two factory oil coolers stacked on top of each other. With the added benefit of more pressure drop across the oil system and more possible failure points.

If this product had been designed and documented properly this would have been a great Alpha radiator. Skunks lack of research into the actual needs of the platform under various driving conditions and modification levels, combined with a complete lack of development of a the product, and not only little documentation but inaccurate documentation, is a very telling story of what goes on behind their doors.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (06-16-2015), Freeman (06-16-2015), Hyper4mance2k (06-09-2015), Ultramaroon (06-20-2015), wparsons (06-09-2015), YouShallKnow (08-02-2015)
Old 06-16-2015, 09:51 AM   #67
Freeman

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Wow! OP you've got more balls than me. I wouldn't feel OK with using a hole saw on my new car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:32 AM   #68
kask2_6.0

Drives: 13 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Having the engine coolant control the oil temperature is not overkill for an everyday driver and would be a horrible idea for a race car. Given the size and efficiency of any cooler that would fit in that end tank, a race car would quickly overwhelm it. A race car is exactly the place for a separate oil cooler.
I disagree. An in-tank oil cooler is a fantastic solution for a race car. Less weight, higher cooling efficiency, and no additional aero drag. Given the the properties of liquid-liquid heat transfer vs. liquid-air heat transfer a small in-tank oil can be extremely effective. However, this drives the need for a larger radiator core to deal with the additional heat source.

(black box between the two blue hoses is the oil cooler)

Quote:
Also, even after inquiring, Skunk will not release any information about what is actually in that end tank. Given the price, I think it's a safe bet that it isn't a laminova core. It could be a few other things, but I'm guessing it's just a tube running from one port to the other. This probably has all the cooling capacity of two factory oil coolers stacked on top of each other. With the added benefit of more pressure drop across the oil system and more possible failure points.
It is most likely a standard in-tank core:

I should state that I am not vouching for the quality of the skunk2 radiator. I have never seen it in person and it appears people are having issues with fitment, etc. In this particular case the execution may be flawed (judging by customers in this thread), but the concept is not. Just sharing my knowledge/experience.
kask2_6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kask2_6.0 For This Useful Post:
Calum (06-16-2015), CSG Mike (06-16-2015)
Old 06-16-2015, 04:39 PM   #69
Calum
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kask2_6.0 View Post
I disagree. An in-tank oil cooler is a fantastic solution for a race car. Less weight, higher cooling efficiency, and no additional aero drag. Given the the properties of liquid-liquid heat transfer vs. liquid-air heat transfer a small in-tank oil can be extremely effective. However, this drives the need for a larger radiator core to deal with the additional heat source.

Agreed. I'll just add the caveat that with an external oil cooler you can size the core to the needs of the car/conditions. But yeah, I'd say the liquid to liquid is a better solution for everyone. I was only trying to highlight why a liquid to air cooler isn't optimal for a street car, but I guess my fingers got away from me.

(black box between the two blue hoses is the oil cooler)

It is most likely a standard in-tank core:

I hope so. But given how tight lipped they have been about it, I'm starting to have my doubts. Skunk2, if you're reading, please prove me wrong.

I should state that I am not vouching for the quality of the skunk2 radiator. I have never seen it in person and it appears people are having issues with fitment, etc. In this particular case the execution may be flawed (judging by customers in this thread), but the concept is not. Just sharing my knowledge/experience.
I have to type something here, so I'll write this sentence and throw in a
Old 06-16-2015, 05:49 PM   #70
JDKane527

Drives: Asphalt Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kask2_6.0 View Post
In this particular case the execution may be flawed (judging by customers in this thread), but the concept is not. Just sharing my knowledge/experience.
Thus far, all the executions of integrated engine oil and coolant radiators have been flawed for this chassis.