follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 10-17-2014, 10:27 AM   #1
aaronsadventures

Drives: 2013 Toyota GT86 Manual - White
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
- 86FLY - Australian Custom Turbo Jetkit 4.0 Build + Custom Flex Fuel Dyno Tune

This is the most stock photo I have of the car, with only these mods listed:

* Full LED Upgrade (Interior, Boot, Numberplate etc) Including Daytime Running Lights. I really didn't like the stock DRL that came with the car. These helped modernise the car greatly and gave it a sharper look.
* Xenon Headlights for a pure white beam of direct light. Brilliant true colours at night and they look cool too!
* Genuine Toyota Arm Rest from the UK. A great mod that makes the car much more comfortable and user friendly.
* Whiteline Adjustable Sway Bars - Front + Rear. Hands down the best bang for buck handling mod you can do to your 86.
* Cusco Carbon Fibre Strut Braces - Front + Rear. They help with handling and look cool too.
* Plastidip Toyota Emblems - Front + Rear. Cause, moar stealth!
* Sound Tube Delete - Blocked up the engine sound tube with the cigarette lighter cover from the glovebox (yes, there's one in there if you didn't already know!). Instant smile worthy. Great mod and it's free.
* Beatsonic Sharkfin Antenna - Version 2. I like the V2 better, it's bigger and more refined in design.
* Tinted Windows - Super dark including strip across top of windscreen. Yep, race car!
* Raceseng Ashiko Gear Knob - CNC'd in beautiful stainless steel, this little beauty weighs a huge 735 grams. This makes shifting a pleasure and a lot easier.

Initially, the whole reason I decided to buy the 86 in the first place was when I saw a fellow Aussie's amazing build right here on this forum. It blew my mind because of the power he was making, the originality of it all, the superb quality involved and I really liked the styling as well. As soon as I saw it, I decided that the 86 was the car for me! His name is Kalen and you can see his build thread here:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...ighlight=jet86

And although the video is old and the setup has changed quite a bit since (much less lag now and much more power) the video that made me fall in love with his kit is here (listen to that sexy turbo spool! Pre-supercharger!):

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWxmNwV-RSs&index=1&list=FLyHXO8oWzo7JbCAgsYQW1VA"]Jet86 before adding the supercharger - YouTube[/ame]

Luckily for me, we live pretty close to each other, and, even luckier, he had just started his own company (Forged Performance Australia - http://www.forgedperformance.com.au/ ) supplying custom variations of his very own signature Jetkit! It was meant to be!

OK, so after many discussions with Kalen, we decided to begin the build on the 13.10.2014. After about a 6 week wait, the custom flex fuel tune at Tunehouse was coming up in 10 days and I really didn't want to wait another 6 weeks if I missed it! The race was on to get the build done in time for the tune.

I arrived at the Forged Performance workshop and Kalen got stuck into work straight away. The first thing to do was to remove
the entire current exhaust setup including the Revworks UEL headers and the Perrin Cat Back exhaust. These items were already sold to eagerly awaiting people to collect.

**INSERT PICS HERE**

Next, the gearbox had to be dropped out of the car so we could get to the clutch and flywheel. I've chosen to go with the Australian made Xtreme Cushioned Button clutch and an Xtreme light weight chrome-moly flywheel. The clutch will be able to hold the amount of power I'm going to be throwing at it and it will also have a lot more bite compared to the stock clutch that is too light for my liking. The lightened flywheel will help with engine responsiveness.

Up next was to replace the stock oil sump with a Full Blown Motorsports sump. This sump has a 50% higher capacity than OEM and includes baffles to help prevent oil starvation. This sump also has a fitting port in it for the turbo oil drain. Kalen also put on one of his nice red 86 magnetic sump plugs.

Now that the sump was in, one of my most favourite and important parts of the kit was to go in next. The turbo manifold. This equal length manifold was designed and hand fabricated by Forged Performance. It's made of 304 stainless steel, it has steam-pipe construction, Billet flanges, a CNC cut merge collector and is equal to less than 1%! The design is so simple and effective as the more equal length these headers are, the more efficient the engine will be. I don't know of any turbo manifold in the world that is at this level!

The wastegate in the kit is a 40mm Turbosmart CompGate. These are the highest quality wastegates on the market and are used in most high end drag cars, time attack cars and drift cars. Here it with the new wastegate merge setup from Forged Performance. This design allows for perfect gas flow and maximum strength!

Here they are on the car, perfect fit, symmetrical and right in the centre of the car:

The intercooler that comes with the kit is designed by Forged Performance and manufactured by the world famous Hypertune! It's very lightweight, super sexy, crazy efficient and a perfect fitment. The car really comes to life with this mounted!

I've selected to go with one of the new AVO (another Australian company) Oil coolers designed specifically for the 86 with a front mount intercooler. These come with a fiberglass airduct to guide in air from the front, next to the intercooler. Here it is in position:

And with the air duct installed:

I've also opted to go with an AVO full 3 inch turbo back exhaust. I must thank Lee from AVO for rushing the delivery in time for the build and for also meeting my requests for the tips to be in stainless steel instead of their standard titanium finish.

The 3" overpipe comes with a ceramic coating. For install the engine needs to be jacked up quite high (completely off the engine mounts) to fit. Here it is compared to the stock overpipe:

Here's it is all fitted:

As I mentioned, this kit is custom. Not only have I had a choice of the parts going into it, not only has Kalen hand fabricated the turbo manifold, but Kalen is also hand fabricating ALL of the intercooler piping too! He's using aluminium piping, measuring, cutting and welding all personally. Here's, a few pics of the process...

The blowoff valve is again, the best available in the world. It's a 38mm Dual Port Turbosmart. These blow off valves are the highest flowing blow off valves on the market and can be switched between fully atmospheric, fully recirculation and 50/50. Great for getting passed through engineering as you can totally block it off so the setup is fully recirculating, then, after engineering is complete, you can easily switch it to vent to atmosphere for a bit of flutter if you like!

All of the silicon connectors used in Jetkit 4.0 are top of the line Turbosmart. I've chosen to go with Blue:

The kit includes a monster sized K&N Air Filter. In this photo you can see it and where it will be mounted:

Now, finally it was time to install the turbo! With guidance from Kalen, I've chosen to go for the new ball bearing, water and oil cooled Garrett GTX2867R. For ultimate spool time, weight and space saving I chose the Garrett housing over the Tial.

As soon as the turbo was installed, we just had to start it!
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWviIDj1svs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWviIDj1svs[/ame]

The dump pipe has been made and as you can see, the wastegate has be plumbed back into the dump pipe for engineering purposes. Here's a pic of the beautiful setup just before all the plumbing has been sent to the coaters

.................................................. ...........................
The build is still in process and won't be done for a while longer, but, for those wanting a sneak peak of the current state the cars in, I leave you with this photo:

Pls be patient with me as I will only be able to update this as I have time. I will get to it again asap
Subscribe and STAY TUNED!

Last edited by aaronsadventures; 10-20-2014 at 12:30 AM.
aaronsadventures is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aaronsadventures For This Useful Post:
GaN-MaN (11-07-2014), nos145 (11-07-2014)
Old 10-17-2014, 10:37 AM   #2
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Nice FBM oil pan.

Last edited by King Tut; 10-21-2014 at 11:53 AM.
King Tut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to King Tut For This Useful Post:
liewyel (10-17-2014)
Old 10-18-2014, 06:17 AM   #3

Drives: 2014 86 GTS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Absolutely amazing, this is probably the nicest turbo kit design without the cutting of crash beam IMO. any ideas on pricing roughly?
504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:35 PM   #4
Khorne
Super 86

Drives: Red 86 GTS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
Did I miss the "Jetkit 4.0 Turbo" part?
I believe Kalen Gray / Forged performance in Sydney call their turbo kit the Jetkit. Kalen also is doing that twin charged wtf86.
Khorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 05:10 PM   #5
nos145
Cognite

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Any more info plz?
nos145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 05:49 PM   #6
vividracing

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,065 Times in 617 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
This build is rad!!!
vividracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 02:01 AM   #7
jet86
Mad Sciontist

Drives: gt86
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Wow those pics came out better than i thought.
Not a bad build considering i did it at home whilst the new shop was being built lol.

Yes the kit is our 4th prototype and in production (this kit is a little bit pre-production) as all the silicone piping hadnt arrived as yet'so it was made out of alloy as well as the tial housing was swapped out for a new garrett v-band as Australia had no stock of Tial.

some more info at
www.forgedperformance.com.au
jet86 is offline   Reply With Quote