follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #29
no1r
Showboater Nazi

Drives: 2014 Whiteout FR-S 6M/T
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Not to thread jack - @h4nh, is it pretty easy to install with the ramps? My Evo3's came in yesterday, and I rather not take them to a shop to use the lift, curious how much trouble I would have doing it on ramps.
no1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #30
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Freddy View Post
60mm OD is ~57mm or 2.25" ID and perfectly fine for NA apps. Stock is ~2.12 OD and ~2" ID.
i thought stock was 2.36" od? anyway, sure this isn't an exhaust for anyone looking to go fi in the future, but the diameter will have little effect on anyone staying na. should be a great option for a lot of people!
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #31
h4nh

Drives: Turbo BRZ & Supercharged E90 M3
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1r View Post
Not to thread jack - @h4nh, is it pretty easy to install with the ramps? My Evo3's came in yesterday, and I rather not take them to a shop to use the lift, curious how much trouble I would have doing it on ramps.
Yeah it's real easy. Like I said it took about 10 minutes. Just have someone watch you pull the car up on the ramp. Make sure the garage surface isn't slick or the car will kick the ramp right under it. Driveway would work.
h4nh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to h4nh For This Useful Post:
no1r (12-19-2013)
Old 12-19-2013, 03:21 PM   #32
h4nh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Freddy View Post
60mm OD is ~57mm or 2.25" ID and perfectly fine for NA apps. Stock is ~2.12 OD and ~2" ID.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slow One View Post
Thanks, but that's smaller then my over pipe anf front pipe. Looking for the ID of 60mm or 2.36". 2.25" will just bottle neck my current setup.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1r View Post
The stock pipes have really bad kinks and bends in it. You can tell from any aftermarket pipe it usually has better flow. You don't need huge piping unless you're going to make big power. All it does it make noise and go no where, lol.

I just got the race version of the exhaust for weekend drives. It's 2.5" piping. I can feel it's a lil faster as my car is running turbo. I'll post some pics and vids when I can.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:39 PM   #33
The Slow One
Track Junkie

Drives: Argento Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
lol, 2.5" is the standard for a street exhaust, everyone knows about the kinks in the factory exhaust. This exhaust is probably more of just for sound if anything.

There's even bigger gains with a 3" exhaust for more "race" applications. Tomei 60s is very tempting for me for weight reduction. I see a constant repeating from previous cars. There's gains with larger exhausts with just a simple tune.
The Slow One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:20 PM   #34
h4nh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slow One View Post
lol, 2.5" is the standard for a street exhaust, everyone knows about the kinks in the factory exhaust. This exhaust is probably more of just for sound if anything.

There's even bigger gains with a 3" exhaust for more "race" applications. Tomei 60s is very tempting for me for weight reduction. I see a constant repeating from previous cars. There's gains with larger exhausts with just a simple tune.
For looks and a very mild sound. Obviously this not a race oriented exhaust. Not everyone tracks their car here.

Let us know how powerful your tune and 3" exhaust does on a n/a when you get it.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:40 PM   #35
spookyz

Drives: 2014 Subaru WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My apologies for the stupid question, but will these cat back systems cause any problems for smog checks in California? Or is anything behind the cat ignored given it has 0 effect on emissions?
spookyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:45 PM   #36

Drives: UM86 - 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Technically, yes having no cats or 1 less cat can compromise a smog check, however, you won't have to worry about smog checks for another 5-6 years in California. Law states with new cars, like ours, that smog is not required unless otherwise specifically requested by the DMV.
1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:01 PM   #37
h4nh

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookyz View Post
My apologies for the stupid question, but will these cat back systems cause any problems for smog checks in California? Or is anything behind the cat ignored given it has 0 effect on emissions?
This is a cat back meaning its after the cats. No emission issues. It just improves looks and sound.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #38
spookyz

Drives: 2014 Subaru WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1086 View Post
Technically, yes having no cats or 1 less cat can compromise a smog check, however, you won't have to worry about smog checks for another 5-6 years in California. Law states with new cars, like ours, that smog is not required unless otherwise specifically requested by the DMV.
That was my understanding. I did not know about the 5-6 years till the check for newer cars, thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4nh View Post
This is a cat back meaning its after the cats. No emission issues. It just improves looks and sound.
Ya, I got that, its just the CARB regulations can be a little less than logical in most, if not all, cases.
spookyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #39

Drives: UM86 - 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
No problem - after reading what the DMV states I was a lot more confident with putting mods into the car since I won't have anything to worry about for a while.

"Owners of vehicles six or less model years old will pay an annual smog abatement fee for the first six registration years instead of being required to provide a biennial smog certification."

Here is the URL for reference: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm#BM2535

I agree, with your 'less than logical' statement also - don't even get me started on California's bogus traffic laws -_______- lol
1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:33 PM   #40
h4nh

Here's an update. I just picked up the race version of this exhaust for some spirited driving on weekends. The quiet version was nice because I can hear the blow off from the turbo better. However, this one is much louder and 2.5" piping made a significant difference for exhaust flow. It now has some backfire so I'll need to get it tuned. Yes, it does drone so I would not recommend if you daily it and have low tolerance to noise.

I know you can pick up any type of similar exhaust on ebay for about the same price but Top Speed has provided me with amazing service. A lot of the members on here have been asking what kind of hood I have and it is seibon. It fits like crap in real life. There's a huge gap by the fenders which is a manufactering defect. I contacted the vendor I purchased it from (evasive motorsports) and they wouldn't do anything. They even said seibon wouldn't do anything and offered me 5% off my next purchase (what a joke).

Anyways, George at Top Speed took pictures of the hood and contacted Seibon directly. Hopefully they'll get my issue resolved. If not, at least they tried and I'll order a nicer quality hood from Japan.

Here's the link to the race exhaust on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scion-FRS-Su...148e18&vxp=mtr

Anyways, I'll try to get a video together soon. Today was pretty windy so I don't think my camera picked up the sound very well. It really brought out the boxer rumble especially with my avo uel headers.

Last edited by h4nh; 12-30-2013 at 11:29 PM. Reason: added pics
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to h4nh For This Useful Post:
Hawk77FT (12-19-2013), JFBRZ711 (12-19-2013), JonAvalon (12-19-2013)
Old 12-19-2013, 11:29 PM   #41
Hawk77FT

Drives: GTS 86
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by h4nh View Post
Here's an update. I just picked up the race version of this exhaust for some spirited driving on weekends. The quiet version was nice because I can hear the blow off from the turbo better. However, this one is much louder and 2.5" piping made a significant difference for exhaust flow. It now has some backfire so I'll need to get it tuned. Yes, it does drone so I would not recommend if you daily it and have low tolerance to noise.

I know you can pick up any type of similar exhaust on ebay for about the same price but Top Speed has provided me with amazing service. A lot of the members on here have been asking what kind of hood I have and it is seibon. It fits like crap in real life. There's a huge gap by the fenders which is a manufactering defect. I contacted the vendor I purchased it from (evasive motorsports) and they wouldn't do anything. They even said seibon wouldn't do anything and offered me 5% off my next purchase (what a joke).

Anyways, George at Top Speed took pictures of the hood and contacted Seibon directly. Hopefully they'll get my issue resolved. If not, at least they tried and I'll order a nicer quality hood from Japan.

Here's the link to the race exhaust on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scion-FRS-Su...148e18&vxp=mtr

Anyways, I'll try to get a video together soon. Today was pretty windy so I don't think my camera picked up the sound very well. It really brought out the boxer rumble especially with my avo uel headers.

this looks so much like the Evo3 exhaust.
Hawk77FT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:38 PM   #42
JFBRZ711

Drives: 13' BRZ Limited CBS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Wondering if the race version sounds similar to the Invidia N1 exhaust? The original and now race exhaust look very similar. It would be great if it sounds, performs, and holds up comparable to the Invidia line but for this amazing price! The only major concern I have, from what I can tell, there's no warranty available on Top Speed's exhaust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JFBRZ711 is offline   Reply With Quote