follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-15-2015, 10:14 AM   #267
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario17623 View Post
Did you buy oem ones? Or did you buy some aftermarket ones
Warranty so OEM.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:21 AM   #268
acollite

Drives: 2013 frs whiteout
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I just replaced mine a week ago and went to the track on last friday with no trouble, I bought it online and replaced it myself because I also just put in a flex fuel system and tune so I didnt bother going to the dealership for warranty. It was a pretty easy job to do using info from this thread. thanks to all who have posted before.
acollite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:41 PM   #269
SocalBurt

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acollite View Post
I just replaced mine a week ago and went to the track on last friday with no trouble, I bought it online and replaced it myself because I also just put in a flex fuel system and tune so I didnt bother going to the dealership for warranty. It was a pretty easy job to do using info from this thread. thanks to all who have posted before.
Sounds good! Which online store did you purchase the stuff from? Perhaps i can order from there. The guy at the dealership parts counter looks like he hates his job and his answer to me was that he had a 2015 part in stock. He proceeded to tell me that the cars engine hasn't changed at all so the part fits.
SocalBurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:28 PM   #270
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Is there a better revision of the stock part, or am I going to be looking at replacements again if/when another OEM fails?

I'm only getting the CEL intermittently, but it seems to be triggered pretty easily on a track now. I had it once before, went away and never came back. Now I'm ~9k km's out of warranty and it seems more persistent. I'm due for plugs anyway, so it's gotta come apart to get them out.

I'd like to avoid buying a full set of Okada's if possible, but if the OEM ones will continue to fail I'd also rather avoid doing this on a regular bassis.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:21 AM   #271
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Is there a better revision of the stock part, or am I going to be looking at replacements again if/when another OEM fails?

I'm only getting the CEL intermittently, but it seems to be triggered pretty easily on a track now. I had it once before, went away and never came back. Now I'm ~9k km's out of warranty and it seems more persistent. I'm due for plugs anyway, so it's gotta come apart to get them out.

I'd like to avoid buying a full set of Okada's if possible, but if the OEM ones will continue to fail I'd also rather avoid doing this on a regular bassis.
I think i read somewhere their was a different part number for coil packs on later cars but the connector was different, just check that if you buy the updated coil packs
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:40 AM   #272
acollite

Drives: 2013 frs whiteout
CIOCCA SUBARU shipping was only a few days I got it from this thread somewhere
acollite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:51 AM   #273
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
I think i read somewhere their was a different part number for coil packs on later cars but the connector was different, just check that if you buy the updated coil packs
Thanks for the heads up, that would've been a massive pain in the ass!

The code is clearing itself after a couple drive cycles on the street, so I'm probably going to leave it alone until the spring. It comes back by the end of my warm up lap every track session though.

It's not logging any hard misfires, and I can't really feel anything different. It feels a bit down on power, but I'm overdue for plugs so that could be a contributing factor too.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:22 AM   #274
neutral
Drifter-Wannabe

Drives: Firestorm MT FR-S
Send a message via AIM to neutral
I've been having misfires under load on my car (with full blown turbo) for months now, assumed it was from a wonky tune. Got a completely different tune from a completely different company, and I'm still misfiring under load. Put that together with the fact that I've been getting P0351 occasionally at WOT, and I think I've finally figured out what the issue is -_-

It's strange though, I see tons of people here complaining about the code, but no one talking about negative symptoms as a result of it. Could it just be that mine has gotten really bad over time, or could it be something else in addition to the coil pack that's causing my issue (spark plug perhaps?)

Cars suck.
neutral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 12:58 AM   #275
cjdriiiiift

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I have Ignition Coil B code. It popped up a couple of times while WOT, and has gone away, however today it popped up again. I cleared it with my phone app and went WOT again, and the car just wouldnt go, i feel like i have maybe 130hp. Im at 93,000 miles and have a very aggressive tune (28 degrees). Ive always had a little backfire under load at low rpms occasionally. Also the car sounds quiter and oddly even a little better. However there is DEF something wrong and i have yet to get it looked at. I will update when i know exactly whats going on. Im no longer under warranty so it may be spendy .
cjdriiiiift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:14 PM   #276
sickmint79

Drives: bmw
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbstyle View Post
Update: After replacing the coil pack on Cyl #2 TWICE now, I received a P0302 and P0300 multiple times throughout the day at Sebring this past weekend (Cyl # 2 and random misfire code). No noticeable hesitation, stumbling or performance decrease though.

Before the CEL came on with those two codes and stayed on, I had the CEL flashing for the first few laps in only a few spots on the track - just before the braking zones at Turn 17, Turn 7 and Turn 10, where I had sustained higher RPMs in a higher gear.

For those of you who are receiving the same code after replacing the coil pack, have you checked/replaced the spark plug in that cylinder? I think that will be my next step, as I was talking to a top notch Subaru engine builder and tuner about the issue, and he informed me that a bad plug in that cylinder could possibly be creating high resistance under heavy temps, causing the coil pack to fail (and then ultimately a misfire code).

That's going to be my next step, I'll report back with updates.

Cylinder #2 is probably in the coolest spot in terms of proximity to the header, so I can't imagine it's heat killing the Cyl #2 coil pack. I'll probably end up wrapping the header and then putting DEI cool tape on the coil packs to help with longevity.
how's it going?

stock plugs for me. swaintech ceramic coated header, 2 foil covered packs, e85, track kicked off cyl 1 today. cyl 1 previously replaced end of may. cyl 3 replaced beginning of august.

cyl 1 has only ever known the life of e85, a coated header, and foil on it's head... if it's heat related, apparently this isn't enough...
Old 09-23-2015, 09:03 AM   #277
smbstyle

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
OK So I've replaced the spark plug in Cylinder #2 which has been giving me issues (ignition coil code and misfire code), so far so good - 2 days on track at Barber and no CEL.
smbstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 03:12 PM   #278
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Potential TSB fix related to the Harness?

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=10
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 12:09 AM   #279
Pabloc

Drives: BRZ Ltd WRB, MT6; '91 M5; '89 911
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Remote Placement?

Since the problem seems to be heat related, what if the coil packs could be mounted remotely, away from the exhaust heat?

Feasible?
Pabloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 11:58 AM   #280
sickmint79

Drives: bmw
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbstyle View Post
OK So I've replaced the spark plug in Cylinder #2 which has been giving me issues (ignition coil code and misfire code), so far so good - 2 days on track at Barber and no CEL.
how long does it take you to trash a coilpack in the past? seems to take me over 10 track days (intermediate)