follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 06-07-2021, 01:48 PM   #1
Joveen

Drives: Bone stock
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Turn signal lights behaving like hazard lights.

I installed the Morimoto Headlights for 16 Brz limited and plug everything in because it's plug and play. The turn signal lights behave like hazard lights. When turn the switch left or right the hazards come on. Both for the Headlights and Taillights.

Let me know what you guys think.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Joveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 06:22 PM   #2
pope
has a funny hat

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
did you plug in the blue wire/add-on fuse for the DRL?

If so, try unplugging it. The add-on fuse DRL wire back feeds in the BRZ and causes issues.
pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 01:44 AM   #3
Joveen

No I didn't even use that supplied wire. When I unclip both or wires for my fog or drl on either side, the driver side blinker is go but the right side is still hyper blinking. Also the driver side light output is far greater than the right. I think the headlights maybe defective. I'm just not sure what the issue is.

Old 06-08-2021, 09:27 AM   #4
Joveen

Update: I think I figured out what the issue is. For the limited brz, I think that the connectors for the fog and drl should not be connect to headlight but be left I'm in its oem connection. Only thing I need to buy now is a hyper blink module. Still not sure if it's just me but passenger side light seems less brighter than the driver side. I will post pictures later.

Old 06-08-2021, 09:49 AM   #5
pope
has a funny hat

you night have been right before, those could be defective. I have Morimotos in a BRZ Limited as well. The only time I have any issues is if I have the add-on wire back feeding. No additional flash module required for normal blinkers.

I don’t know what you are referring to about connecting the fog and drl to the headlight vs oem.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:52 AM   #6
Joveen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pope View Post
you night have been right before, those could be defective. I have Morimotos in a BRZ Limited as well. The only time I have any issues is if I have the add-on wire back feeding. No additional flash module required for normal blinkers.

I don’t know what you are referring to about connecting the fog and drl to the headlight vs oem.
This connector here.

Old 06-08-2021, 10:11 AM   #7
pope
has a funny hat

I completely forgot about that connector.

That’s for blinkers on the FR-S. The BRZ headlight connector supplies the blinker signal since our oem headlights have the blinkers integrated, but the FR-S blinker is down in the bumper, so that plug puts the Morimoto headlight inline with the FR-S blinker signal.

In the BRZ that connector can be left connected in a loop and ziptied out of the way.
The Following User Says Thank You to pope For This Useful Post:
Joveen (06-08-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 10:59 AM   #8
Joveen

Quote:
I completely forgot about that connector.

That’s for blinkers on the FR-S. The BRZ headlight connector supplies the blinker signal since our oem headlights have the blinkers integrated, but the FR-S blinker is down in the bumper, so that plug puts the Morimoto headlight inline with the FR-S blinker signal.

In the BRZ that connector can be left connected in a loop and ziptied out of the way.
Thank you. All I need now is the hyper blink module. Not sure why the hyper blink.

Old 06-08-2021, 11:59 AM   #9
pope
has a funny hat

Hyper blink should be built into the Morimoto headlights. I’m going to guess the module either got shorted from BRZ fog/drl line, was defective on arrival, or you have aftermarket tails and the module isn’t able to compensate.
Old 06-08-2021, 01:01 PM   #10
Joveen

Quote:
Hyper blink should be built into the Morimoto headlights. I’m going to guess the module either got shorted from BRZ fog/drl line, was defective on arrival, or you have aftermarket tails and the module isn’t able to compensate.
Aftermarket tails. So you think the hyper blink module will help?

Old 06-08-2021, 01:30 PM   #11
pope
has a funny hat

I have OEM tails and this is the first time I recall seeing blinker problems with the Morimoto/Intec/Coplus/FT86SF headlights. Not saying nobody has had similar flash problems, I just don’t recall seeing it before with these lights.

IIRC blinker systems are calibrated to a specific resistance range, so when a bulb burns out the total resistance changes and the flasher begins flashing faster to indicate a bulb has failed. Thus my guesses; any of which could result in total resistance being incorrect and you experiencing fast flashing blinkers.

I assume adding hyper flash corrector will work, but I’m also surprised it would be needed since the headlights should have a module to compensate for differing from OEM and (unless fast blink is a pre-existing issue) I assume your aftermarket tails already compensated for themselves.

If you still have the OEM tails, you could try plugging them in and see if the fast blink goes away. If so, you need a hyper flash module. If not, the hyper flash module on the headlight is defective or accidentally burnt out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pope For This Useful Post:
Joveen (06-08-2021), Wally86 (06-08-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 02:07 PM   #12
Joveen

This issue was never a thing before. Also the headlights are fresh out the box so I'm sure man. I'll continue to give updates.

Old 06-08-2021, 02:27 PM   #13
Brz866

Drives: Series Blue WRB JRSC C38 HBP Flex
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joveen View Post
This issue was never a thing before. Also the headlights are fresh out the box so I'm sure man. I'll continue to give updates.

I'm not very familiar with the morimoto headlights, but my Valenti taillights had hyperflash resistors built in. I cut them out and just used the DD hyper flash relay. The morimotos either don't have resistors or they're not enough to trick the system. Either way, a hyper flash relay will solve the issue.

Edit: a quick fix is getting some resistors at autozone from the headlight section and wiring those in for now. Careful those resistors get hot and will melt plastic.
Brz866 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brz866 For This Useful Post:
Joveen (06-08-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 09:00 AM   #14
sharpsicle
Certs You Dont Care About

Drives: 2013 Galaxy Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The built-in hyperflash resistors will not compensate for the tail lights being LED. If you have put aftermarket in both, it's time for a new turn signal relay.
sharpsicle is offline   Reply With Quote