follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 10-07-2021, 07:39 AM   #211
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylans47 View Post
Imagine someone who has no issue with money and has never owned an 86twin asks if they should go for the GR86 or BRZ/FRS/86, you'd be delusional not to recommend the GR86. Plain and simple.
If money was no issue, then I would suggest to buy something else and not an entry level "sports" car. There are still many nice options out there before everything goes to EV. If the user still wanted to own an 86twin and to have something more personal, then I would recommend to find a good condition BRZ/FRS/86 and make some serious modifications in a professional shop. The FA20 engine is well known and has been revised already twice to increase reliability. For the GR86 I would tell to wait a few years till all issues are resolved and more aftermarket parts are available.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-07-2021), Dirty Harry (10-11-2021), Th3rdSun (10-07-2021), Vides990 (10-07-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 08:45 AM   #212
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,632 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
^^the number of spots in the driveway will be the issue. Maybe if I keep my 2nd car in the garage, don't reconcile with my wife and get a Smart car as my daily.

I can get the STI and the FR-S one in front of the other if one almost touches the garage door, they almost touch bumpers and the rear bumper is aligned with the sidewalk. Might be a challenge but at least the resale on my '18 STI with 25000 miles keeps going up.

I don't think stickshift will be relevant for my sons generation unless they have an affinity for old cars. My kid prefers basketball, video games and anime.
I have the biggest property on my street (50' x 110') on a corner. But the driveway faces the side.

Did I mention I live directly across from his high school? lol
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-07-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 03:31 PM   #213
bmbauccio

Drives: Truck
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I originally was gonna go with a first gen 86 for my next car, as I wasn't a fan of the new styling at first. However, after watching more videos and studying countless photos of the GR86, the new styling REALLY grew on me, to the point where now I actually prefer the look of the second gens to the first gen. Funny how that works lol.

Not only that, but the performance and interior upgrades cannot be denied. As someone who has never owned any of the twins before, I thought that it made zero sense for me to buy a first gen at this point when you take into account not only how improved the second gens are inside and out, but also the 2017+ models are still selling for basically the MSRP price of the second gens. Why buy a used first gen with some miles on it when you can get a brand new second gen for essentially the same price?

All in all, really excited to hopefully get into a GR86 sometime next year!
bmbauccio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bmbauccio For This Useful Post:
bcj (10-07-2021), Dadhawk (10-07-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 03:46 PM   #214
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbauccio View Post
Why buy a used first gen with some miles on it when you can get a brand new second gen for essentially the same price
There have been a few cars over the years I would have bought the previous gen over the "newest" gen. A '69 Camaro over a '70, and a C7 over a C8 Corvette comes to immediate mind. although I will say the C8 has grown on me to the point where I would buy one, even though I still prefer the C7.

The 86 is the same way, but there are enough mechanical differences it makes it a tough choice. That's why I've elected to eventually move on rather than purchase either a new or "new to me" 86 somewhere down the line.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 04:05 PM   #215
bmbauccio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
There have been a few cars over the years I would have bought the previous gen over the "newest" gen. A '69 Camaro over a '70, and a C7 over a C8 Corvette comes to immediate mind. although I will say the C8 has grown on me to the point where I would buy one, even though I still prefer the C7.

The 86 is the same way, but there are enough mechanical differences it makes it a tough choice. That's why I've elected to eventually move on rather than purchase either a new or "new to me" 86 somewhere down the line.
Thats fair, I'd imagine the new ones might be a harder sell for people who have already owned and experienced the 86/FR-S for a while, especially if you're not a fan of how the new one looks. I'm coming from a 2005 F-150, so this is gonna be quite the change to say the least lol.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bmbauccio For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-07-2021), nikitopo (10-08-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 04:16 PM   #216
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thats fair, I'd imagine the new ones might be a harder sell for people who have already owned and experienced the 86/FR-S for a while, especially if you're not a fan of how the new one looks. I'm coming from a 2005 F-150, so this is gonna be quite the change to say the least lol.
Hah, yea, while I've always kept a "sportier" car in the family for weekends my last two daily drivers were Chevy Astros ('89 and '01) so I can appreciate that one.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 04:18 PM   #217
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,228 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
I like the look of the gen 1 better. However, I also think they knocked it out of the park with the Gen 2 Likely own one of each in the years to come. Gen 1 for street and Gen 2 for track. One AT and one MT.

Keeping it affordable is something I think people may be understating.
See this is one of those things, because I'm turning into more of miser in my old age (39), a $30k car doesn't really seem affordable to me.

I know there are plenty here who make more, I'll just leave it at, I haven't gotten any stimulus checks.

For the sake of math, if you don't put anything down, a $31k car, is nearly a $600/month car payment (if you have to finance longer than 5 years for an affordable payment, you can't afford it). And that doesn't include the thousands in sales tax/registration, then add in monthly insurance costs.

I know if you account for inflation cars are cheaper than they have ever been. Is it just that so many American's are OK with being in so much debt that a small hiccup can ruin them?
OkieSnuffBox is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OkieSnuffBox For This Useful Post:
jkamelo (10-08-2021), new2subaru (10-07-2021), stilesg57 (10-07-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 04:19 PM   #218
Stonehorsw

Drives: 18 Brz (Sold) / 22 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post

A neighbor got a C6 ZR1, for me the clean design on that surpasses anything from C7 (too much things going on, not at an CTR atrocity level) and C8 (looks like diffent teams designed and never talked to each other until after the launch) generations on aesthetics.
I would buy still buy the C8.
Stonehorsw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stonehorsw For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-07-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 04:24 PM   #219
Stonehorsw

Drives: 18 Brz (Sold) / 22 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I originally was gonna go with a first gen 86 for my next car, as I wasn't a fan of the new styling at first. However, after watching more videos and studying countless photos of the GR86, the new styling REALLY grew on me, to the point where now I actually prefer the look of the second gens to the first gen. Funny how that works lol.

Not only that, but the performance and interior upgrades cannot be denied. As someone who has never owned any of the twins before, I thought that it made zero sense for me to buy a first gen at this point when you take into account not only how improved the second gens are inside and out, but also the 2017+ models are still selling for basically the MSRP price of the second gens. Why buy a used first gen with some miles on it when you can get a brand new second gen for essentially the same price?

All in all, really excited to hopefully get into a GR86 sometime next year!
Welcome do Subaru, where you don’t like the design, but get used to.

When I saw Gen1 first time in the street (IIRC was in Shanghai), I thought that was a ugly rice car. Then, after a while, it became better to a point that I got mine (when I was about to get mine, I would still think it wasn’t beautiful, but the driving would surpass that)

Gen2, I don’t think it is something good for the eyes either, but the mechanical updates where enough for me to upgrade (this and the crazy market/inflation that made my 18 to the same price as the new base)
Stonehorsw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stonehorsw For This Useful Post:
Adam_L (02-28-2022)
Old 10-07-2021, 04:45 PM   #220
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
See this is one of those things, because I'm turning into more of miser in my old age (39), a $30k car doesn't really seem affordable to me.

I know there are plenty here who make more, I'll just leave it at, I haven't gotten any stimulus checks.

For the sake of math, if you don't put anything down, a $31k car, is nearly a $600/month car payment (if you have to finance longer than 5 years for an affordable payment, you can't afford it). And that doesn't include the thousands in sales tax/registration, then add in monthly insurance costs.

I know if you account for inflation cars are cheaper than they have ever been. Is it just that so many American's are OK with being in so much debt that a small hiccup can ruin them?

I hear you. I'm a lot older than you and have saved a few pennies along the way. If I look at four years out and buy a 2022 in 2025/6 I would estimate the car to be worth about 18-20K at that time. I can handle that. My current 2015 will be worthless (to others) but will still have under 100km on the odometer. I'll think that'll suit me just fine. Time will tell. There's also the possibility something else will catch my eye or I stop tracking my current car. You can't tell the future.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 04:51 PM   #221
bmbauccio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehorsw View Post
Welcome do Subaru, where you don’t like the design, but get used to.

When I saw Gen1 first time in the street (IIRC was in Shanghai), I thought that was a ugly rice car. Then, after a while, it became better to a point that I got mine (when I was about to get mine, I would still think it wasn’t beautiful, but the driving would surpass that)

Gen2, I don’t think it is something good for the eyes either, but the mechanical updates where enough for me to upgrade (this and the crazy market/inflation that made my 18 to the same price as the new base)
Haha yeah for sure, seems that way with the Subies. I imagine the same thing is gonna happen with the new WRX in a year or two. In the same vein, I can't tell you how I went from not being a fan of the GR86, to really liking it in a short span of time, just sorta happened. I still do think the tail lights on both new cars could be a bit better though, gives me Civic vibes.

Last edited by bmbauccio; 10-07-2021 at 05:27 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to bmbauccio For This Useful Post:
Adam_L (02-28-2022)
Old 10-07-2021, 11:06 PM   #222
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,228 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
I hear you. I'm a lot older than you and have saved a few pennies along the way. If I look at four years out and buy a 2022 in 2025/6 I would estimate the car to be worth about 18-20K at that time. I can handle that. My current 2015 will be worthless (to others) but will still have under 100km on the odometer. I'll think that'll suit me just fine. Time will tell. There's also the possibility something else will catch my eye or I stop tracking my current car. You can't tell the future.
My rational side says that, but I spent the day researching the Supercharged V6 Jaguar F-Type with the 6 spd manual. Only 8 for sale in the entire country according to Autotrader.

It's getting tough to decide what to buy. I think we are looking at the horizon of ICE vehicles with the push for hybrid/EV vehicles.
OkieSnuffBox is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OkieSnuffBox For This Useful Post:
new2subaru (10-08-2021), nikitopo (10-08-2021)
Old 10-08-2021, 09:59 AM   #223
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,220 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

The affordable car can't actually be affordable because it drops to the bottom barrel subcompact econobox level which is considered way too small, way too cheap, way to "cute" and not "rugged" in anyway, way too pedestrian and/or (and this is THE absolute most important thing) its super slow and unsafe to drive on the freeway.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 10:14 AM   #224
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

I don't think there has been a good sports car that was truly hanging at the bottom of the financial ladder of car offerings from any manufacturer. If its going to be $25k, there's going to be a LOT of compromises that your average market will refuse to pay for.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote