follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 09:07 PM   #1877
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise View Post
So far I'm either waiting for news on the new 86/BRZ and STI, buying a Type R or looking very hard at my finances and whether I can afford the 2022 Audi S3 when that drops, because holy hell that interior is gorgeous.

I'm impatiently waiting for details on the next gen RS3, the S3 looks fantastic and hoping the RS3 is even better. I wish we'd get the sportback models in Canada, but the sedan is still pretty great.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:26 PM   #1878
beltax90

Drives: 2010 corolla
Thanked 1,798 Times in 780 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Akina View Post
That sucks but lucky you had a set. I wish I hadn't sold mine from my FRS, I still have the orange ones on the BRZ I don't know if I want to go clear or smoked or something this time around....

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
oh i meant the clear ones that i gave him got stolen lol
The Following User Says Thank You to beltax90 For This Useful Post:
Ghost of Akina (10-06-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 09:35 PM   #1879
Ghost of Akina

Drives: DE5 Integra Type S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by beltax90 View Post
oh i meant the clear ones that i gave him got stolen lol
Oh well then that just sucks...

Old 10-06-2020, 09:37 PM   #1880
Ghost of Akina

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
I'm impatiently waiting for details on the next gen RS3, the S3 looks fantastic and hoping the RS3 is even better. I wish we'd get the sportback models in Canada, but the sedan is still pretty great.
Yes I don't understand how we don't have more Sportback models in Canada, I think they would sell really well

wparsons (10-08-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 11:45 PM   #1881
Ash_89

Drives: Mazda 2 (1.3L)
Quote:
I have two kids 6 and 3 and have a BRZ, granted we have 3 vehicles in the household so that helps. But if I had to choose 1 from your list to replace my BRZ and my RAV4 it would be between the STI and the Audi.
The Type R drives well for what it is, Honda did a fantastic job while keeping the FWD format. But the car is not pretty, I had one for a year and never really fell in love with driving it even though it was faster than my BRZ and had more space etc etc... Hopefully you can swing one vehicle for awhile and get a good sense of the upcoming a models to help decide.

Could you please elaborate on why you preferred the BRZ over Type R, from a driving standpoint?

I suspect it may be a matter of being able to use a "slow car" fast more often versus losing your lisence everytime you floor it in the Type R.
Old 10-07-2020, 12:20 AM   #1882
Ghost of Akina

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_89 View Post
Could you please elaborate on why you preferred the BRZ over Type R, from a driving standpoint?

I suspect it may be a matter of being able to use a "slow car" fast more often versus losing your lisence everytime you floor it in the Type R.
I think that definetly was a component of it anyways. I've owned several different cars over the years including more than one toyobaru. When I bought the Type R I was trying to combine fun car with daily driver dad mobile lol. For me the result was not a good fit, sure it hauled the kids, sure I could get on it and actually have power lol but having driven our cars before it felt heavy, i certainly could still tell it was front wheel drive despite what all the YouTubers will tell you lol and I started to notice I never loved the styling but I tolerated it. I like Honda's my first import car was a Honda 20 years ago. Because I am in a position where I can have multiple cars I want my fun car to make me smile and be an event everytime I drive and be my passion project, the BRZ/86 does that for me I can drive it at 8/10ths and avoid a ticket lol, it feels so planted and does what I want when I tell it, it has a great design, and lots of aftermarket and lets not forget a great community like this one here. The CTR for me was good but not special, suddenly there were more popping up than 86/BRZ I see on the road and yea I certainly found myself speeding much more than I would normally. I used to also own a 400 whp Evo X GSR and I think that spoiled the whole fast street car thing for me, not to mention some cockpit time in a GTR on a track. There are lots of faster cars that are more practical but for me and only me the BRZ/86 does that. It reminds of the Nissan S-Chassis which are still some of my favorite cars. I am getting way off track and probably not making sense anymore. I never got any negative attention , not that I care what other people think but I did get alot of attention and to be honest began to get annoying. No body notices the BRZ except other car folks who know what it is or likes small sports cars or kids, kids love the thing lol. What I would say is you have to drive and try it for yourself to decide what you are passionate about driving. For some it's 800hp straight line monsters, others it's motorcycles (which are fun and addictive as well), or hot hatches, but for me I have been through enough cars to know I truly enjoy what the BRZ/86 is, and it suits my needs as a life long gear head with a preference of RWD light weight manual Japanese cars that will also keep me outs of cuffs and money in my pocket for mods instead of tickets lol.

86MLR (10-07-2020), alone1i (10-07-2020), Ash_89 (10-07-2020), DriveDriftDogfight86 (10-09-2020), Hoahao (10-07-2020), Spuds (10-07-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 12:24 AM   #1883
Ghost of Akina

Garage
Smiles per gallon > HP's numbers

alone1i (10-07-2020), soundman98 (10-07-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 01:10 AM   #1884
Ash_89

Drives: Mazda 2 (1.3L)
Quote:
I think that definetly was a component of it anyways. I've owned several different cars over the years including more than one toyobaru. When I bought the Type R I was trying to combine fun car with daily driver dad mobile lol. For me the result was not a good fit, sure it hauled the kids, sure I could get on it and actually have power lol but having driven our cars before it felt heavy, i certainly could still tell it was front wheel drive despite what all the YouTubers will tell you lol and I started to notice I never loved the styling but I tolerated it. I like Honda's my first import car was a Honda 20 years ago. Because I am in a position where I can have multiple cars I want my fun car to make me smile and be an event everytime I drive and be my passion project, the BRZ/86 does that for me I can drive it at 8/10ths and avoid a ticket lol, it feels so planted and does what I want when I tell it, it has a great design, and lots of aftermarket and lets not forget a great community like this one here. The CTR for me was good but not special, suddenly there were more popping up than 86/BRZ I see on the road and yea I certainly found myself speeding much more than I would normally. I used to also own a 400 whp Evo X GSR and I think that spoiled the whole fast street car thing for me, not to mention some cockpit time in a GTR on a track. There are lots of faster cars that are more practical but for me and only me the BRZ/86 does that. It reminds of the Nissan S-Chassis which are still some of my favorite cars. I am getting way off track and probably not making sense anymore. I never got any negative attention , not that I care what other people think but I did get alot of attention and to be honest began to get annoying. No body notices the BRZ except other car folks who know what it is or likes small sports cars or kids, kids love the thing lol. What I would say is you have to drive and try it for yourself to decide what you are passionate about driving. For some it's 800hp straight line monsters, others it's motorcycles (which are fun and addictive as well), or hot hatches, but for me I have been through enough cars to know I truly enjoy what the BRZ/86 is, and it suits my needs as a life long gear head with a preference of RWD light weight manual Japanese cars that will also keep me outs of cuffs and money in my pocket for mods instead of tickets lol.

Thanks for the detailed reply, while I don't have exposure to the type of car's you've owned/driven my own experience with my underpowered car which is also quite light (~1130kg with me onboard) is that wringing it out all the while getting to feel how it responds is more gratifying than hitting a mountain of toque early on and then having to (try to) restrain yourself almost immediately.

My use for a Twin would also be similar but as a DD, not having kids/passengers to haul around I hope it would be managable.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ash_89 For This Useful Post:
Ghost of Akina (10-07-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 01:49 AM   #1885
PandaEighty-Six

Drives: 2018 Toyota 86 GT Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
Sounds like a Lotus type sports car is more your type of thing? Light, stripped out, more raw. But they are expensive.

As for the second gen, I’m just hoping it is a power bump with the same or less weight. Looks wise, it’s a cautious thumbs up, I do like the front fender humps of the current gen as others have mentioned. Be interesting to see how much or if they are reduced.

Can’t wait until it is revealed to get a proper look and review the specs.
Ditto. I think one thing that I really like about the 86 is the lightweight package and RWD layout it offers. Sure, it's not fast, but it's so rewarding for what it is.

Lotus makes some amazing cars, but as you point out, comparable cars are simply too expensive for my budget. The 86 is a pure driver's car and I hope the second-gen 86 carries that legacy of being retaining the lightweight playfulness.

- Blitz air filter
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PandaEighty-Six For This Useful Post:
Dirty Harry (10-07-2020), Opie (10-12-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 02:06 AM   #1886
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,220 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Those are sport sedans and a heavy GT. If those get counted as sports cars then the TRD Avalon and Camry are for you:

The RC and LC are not sedans.....
Old 10-07-2020, 02:33 AM   #1887
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,802 Times in 3,297 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
The RC and LC are not sedans.....
Sorry, I mixed up the plural. Those are heavy GTs and a sport sedan. Let's face it, the coupes and sedans aren't much different just like a BMW 3 and 4 series is just a difference in doors.

Technically compact/small GT cars like the 86 are often called coupes, but they are still sedans. Just saying.

https://www.hiltonheadhonda.com/blog...e-and-a-sedan/

Quote:
n general, people tend to have simplistic definitions of coupes and sedans. Most people will say that coupes are cars with two doors and sedans are cars with four doors, but that isn’t the full truth. The actual difference has to do with size. A coupe is defined as a car with less than 33 cubic feet of interior space, according to the Society of Automotive Engineers. Any car with 33 or more cubic feet of interior volume is considered to be a sedan, regardless of the door count. Nonetheless, the terms coupe and sedan are still used loosely. Sporty, more compact cars are generally called coupes without taking their actual interior dimensions into account. Sedans, on the other hand, are almost always defined as any car with two rows of seating. These definitions seem to always be fluid, but for all intents and purposes, all you need to know is that coupes are generally two-doored, compact cars while sedans are four-doored cars with at least 33 cubic feet of interior volume.
Old 10-07-2020, 04:23 AM   #1888
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Sorry, I mixed up the plural. Those are heavy GTs and a sport sedan. Let's face it, the coupes and sedans aren't much different just like a BMW 3 and 4 series is just a difference in doors.

Technically compact/small GT cars like the 86 are often called coupes, but they are still sedans. Just saying.

https://www.hiltonheadhonda.com/blog...e-and-a-sedan/
Quoted for "can of worms"

From my understanding the:
Mx5 is a sports car
Twins are sports coupes
4 door is sedan
GT car is anything larger with some balls
Hatch is Golf GTI
Liftback is fastback is S13
Supercar is anything which looks like it was designed by a 6 year old and powered by a black hole

The whole naming thing changes with the generations and marketing leading the blind and ignorant

I was reading a review where they were calling a BMW 4 door 8 series one of the best sports cars of 2020.....WTF......if I was making up a name for it it would be a "GT Sports sedan that neds to be flipped before it is oit of warranty"

But that is just me...

https://www.google.com.au/search?sxs...e-gws-wiz-serp
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
alone1i (10-07-2020), NoHaveMSG (10-07-2020), StE92ve (10-07-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 08:05 AM   #1889
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
If we throw in overheating as a factor the Type R will lose any matchup
Ive heard thats finally been addressed. I still dont want one.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (10-07-2020), Tcoat (10-07-2020), wparsons (10-08-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 08:15 AM   #1890
StE92ve

Drives: 2014 Mazda CX-5
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaEighty-Six View Post
The 86 is a pure driver's car and I hope the second-gen 86 carries that legacy of being retaining the lightweight playfulness.

This is a key factor in the decision making for my next vehicle. There are not many options out there that are affordable to the common person.

Closed Thread

Tags
#still slow, fake news