follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 10-13-2014, 09:24 AM   #43
weepel
Dr. Fünke, Analrapist

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited, 2004 WRX STI
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Front Lip Install

Here's my Bayson R STi front lip installed:

I didn't have to remove the front undertrays for the install, I just jacked up the car, fitted the lip with the two quick-clips in the front, then used tape to mock it up. I had a friend help ensure the lip was positioned correctly as I drilled the holes, alternating working outside then in (think of a star pattern when tightening lugs on a wheel except in a straight line). The first holes I drilled were at the corners in the wheel-well, to ensure the lip properly met the bumper.

A couple of points:

1. As noted by the OP, definitely leave the lip out in the sun for a bit after unpacking it so it returns to its intended shape. While Bayson R did a good job packing it, it was still a bit warped when I received it. The sun sorted it right out

2. I used a 7/64 bit for the pilot holes for the self-tapping screws.

3. Install took maybe 45mins - 1 hour, but we were being very meticulous to ensure the right fit. If you're a speed demon, you could probably finish the install in <30 mins.

4. Lip quality is about what you'd expect from a Chinese manufacturer - mine had a slight imperfection on the top front right, and at one corner you can see some slight bubble artifacts from when it was molded, but you really have to look for it. Given that it's less than a quarter of the price of the OEM part, I can live with the slight imperfections.

Overall, I'm very happy with the result. The lip was good value for the money, it gives the car a more aggressive look, and it acts as an extra level of insurance for the bumper lip. I'm currently lowered 1" on Eibach pros, so the lip acts as a nice soft bumper if I pull in a bit too far when parking, or when going up or down steep angled driveways.

Lastly, Bayson R were great to work with - quick customer service and quick to ship. Highly recommended!
weepel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to weepel For This Useful Post:
BAOVAN (01-13-2017), BeRZed (10-17-2014), DocWalt (02-14-2016), haimichaeltran (07-11-2016), MileMonger (01-30-2017), pinski (01-21-2015), Waffle86 (05-30-2018)
Old 12-28-2014, 08:39 PM   #44
Dizon57

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Are your Bayson R front lips unpainted black or did you guys get them painted?
Dizon57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 05:42 AM   #45
10Stars

Drives: 14 Subaru BRZ Limited WRB
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Does anyone know if the Bayson R Sti lip kit bolts/mounts on the same way as OEM Sti?

Last edited by 10Stars; 12-30-2014 at 06:10 AM.
10Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:59 AM   #46
Cjymiller
Original 2013 Owner

Drives: 13 BRZ, Galaxy Blue Silica
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizon57 View Post
Mine came in a semi-gloss black finish. I will likely be respraying everything in plasti-dip since they've been on the car for a while and are showing some signs of wear.
Perrin Headerback, OFH, OFT, Ohlins R&T MI20, 17x9 Weds TC105N, Hankook RS4 (235/40), TOM's JDM Tails, PCV AOS, Perrin Crank Pulley, Perrin Rear Trans. Mount, Whiteline Shift Bushing, SS brake Lines, Hawk DTC60, Bayson R Lip Kit, LED Lighting , Smoked JDM Sidemarkers, Rear Fog Enable, Carsmo Armrest, Grimmspeed Plate Relocater
φφκα
Cjymiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:04 PM   #47
ZX88

Drives: 22 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Ordered a set of gt-86 "oem" rear spats. Driverside fit pretty good. Passenger side was horrible, almost a finger gap between the bumper and spat. Hopefully some heat and bending will get it to sit flush enough for the doubled sided tape...
ZX88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 12:08 PM   #48
pinski
Stole my avy from zGrinch

Drives: 2015 Audi S3
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weepel View Post
Here's my Bayson R STi front lip installed:

I didn't have to remove the front undertrays for the install, I just jacked up the car, fitted the lip with the two quick-clips in the front, then used tape to mock it up. I had a friend help ensure the lip was positioned correctly as I drilled the holes, alternating working outside then in (think of a star pattern when tightening lugs on a wheel except in a straight line). The first holes I drilled were at the corners in the wheel-well, to ensure the lip properly met the bumper.

A couple of points:

1. As noted by the OP, definitely leave the lip out in the sun for a bit after unpacking it so it returns to its intended shape. While Bayson R did a good job packing it, it was still a bit warped when I received it. The sun sorted it right out

2. I used a 7/64 bit for the pilot holes for the self-tapping screws.

3. Install took maybe 45mins - 1 hour, but we were being very meticulous to ensure the right fit. If you're a speed demon, you could probably finish the install in <30 mins.

4. Lip quality is about what you'd expect from a Chinese manufacturer - mine had a slight imperfection on the top front right, and at one corner you can see some slight bubble artifacts from when it was molded, but you really have to look for it. Given that it's less than a quarter of the price of the OEM part, I can live with the slight imperfections.

Overall, I'm very happy with the result. The lip was good value for the money, it gives the car a more aggressive look, and it acts as an extra level of insurance for the bumper lip. I'm currently lowered 1" on Eibach pros, so the lip acts as a nice soft bumper if I pull in a bit too far when parking, or when going up or down steep angled driveways.

Lastly, Bayson R were great to work with - quick customer service and quick to ship. Highly recommended!
Looks great! Thanks for posting as I'm about to order the same myself - would you (or anyone else who has installed this lip) recommend having a friend help? Or is it possible to do by yourself? I'll be using a combination of the screws/bolts and 3M VHB.

2015 Audi /S3 | Panther Black | DSG
Gone...2014 BRZ, 2010 Lexus IS F-Sport, 2006 Mazda MX5, 1997 Mustang GT
pinski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pinski For This Useful Post:
weepel (01-21-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 01:04 PM   #49
weepel
Dr. Fünke, Analrapist

Garage
Thanks! Absolutely have a friend help if you can- they can eye it to ensure it's straight/flush as you drill. We also mocked it up with some blue painters tape to help secure it to the bumper before I started drilling holes.

As for the 3M tape - I didn't use any on mine and you might have an issue with it being too thick to get a proper "meet" between the lip and the bumper. I think some other earlier posts note some small gaps when using 3M tape. All of the hardware is included with the lip, so you shouldn't need bolts or screws of your own.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weepel For This Useful Post:
BAOVAN (01-13-2017), pinski (01-26-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 06:12 PM   #50
weepel
Dr. Fünke, Analrapist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizon57 View Post
They are unpainted - I don't mind the polyurethane finish and I figure any paint would just get nicked/scraped off pretty quickly.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:46 PM   #51
themajesticone

Drives: '13 UM86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Did they have a revision done to that lip? I got mine a few months ago and it doesn't look as clean/proportionate. I may end up buying another one from them anyways though - they have nice prices.

JRSC C30 91 oct | JDL UEL Header | Tomei Overpipe | Milltek Front Pipe | Milltek Catback | SPL LCA v2 | FA 500 v5 Coilovers 6k/7k | SPC Front Camber Bolts | Enkei RPF1 17x9 +35 | 245/40 Michelin Pilot Super Sport
themajesticone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:09 PM   #52
sftateofmind
Evening Primrose

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I noticed that it's cheaper to buy online than going to the store. Is this just them not updating their website? I don't want to call in and then have them change the price on me. Was thinking of heading down this weekend and grabbing one from their store in person.
sftateofmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:40 PM   #53
TM

Drives: DGM BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sftateofmind View Post
I noticed that it's cheaper to buy online than going to the store. Is this just them not updating their website? I don't want to call in and then have them change the price on me. Was thinking of heading down this weekend and grabbing one from their store in person.
Did you ever get this kit?

I'm thinking about going to their store, too. Their craigslist price is cheaper than their online store price. I'm not sure how much it would be in person.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:19 AM   #54
sftateofmind
Evening Primrose

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I haven't yet. I held off for the moment. Looking to do so before the end of Summer after I get settled into my new job and school.
sftateofmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 01:48 AM   #55
Raekna

Drives: Hot Lava GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weepel View Post

I don't get what you mean by "bubble artifact" (?)
Is it something that you can feel by touching it? Does a covering hide it ?
Raekna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:55 AM   #56
weepel
Dr. Fünke, Analrapist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekna View Post
I don't get what you mean by "bubble artifact" (?)
Is it something that you can feel by touching it? Does a covering hide it ?
There was the outline of a circle in the plastic from what appears to be a small bubble from when the plastic was hot when it was molded.

Yes you can feel a slight change in texture when touching it. If it really bothered me, I probably could have sanded it with some 1000 grit sandpaper to smooth it down.