follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-20-2015, 04:21 PM   #1
xlid007

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OFT CEL

I had the weirdest thing happen to me about a month ago. The CEL turned on while driving. The car sounded the same and behaved the same. I hooked up the OFT to see what the code was and to my surprise it reported no fault codes found. I couldn't even clear codes since it literally found nothing yet the CEL was on.

I downloaded the latest OFT (i was on version 2.0)release and flashed the car again and haven't had a CEL again(Knock on wood). Has anyone experienced something like this or could have it been a hiccup on the tune?
xlid007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 05:02 PM   #2
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlid007 View Post
I had the weirdest thing happen to me about a month ago. The CEL turned on while driving. The car sounded the same and behaved the same. I hooked up the OFT to see what the code was and to my surprise it reported no fault codes found. I couldn't even clear codes since it literally found nothing yet the CEL was on.

I downloaded the latest OFT (i was on version 2.0)release and flashed the car again and haven't had a CEL again(Knock on wood). Has anyone experienced something like this or could have it been a hiccup on the tune?
The oft only reads engine ECU codes so it means the code was generated by one of the other control units in your car ie auto trans control unit body control unit ect.

if you buy a cheap obd scanner it will read all codes and clear all codes, however diconnecting battery or reflashing will clear codes. its best to find out what the code was before clearing it .
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:14 PM   #3
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
It might have been U0073, faulty OBD2 connection. Our ports are very weak structurally and the female pins are prone to damage. The OFT seems to pick that particular code up only a fraction of the time, and in most cases the CEL corrects itself
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Koa For This Useful Post:
Boofneenee (06-05-2015)