follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 08-27-2014, 10:50 AM   #337
FRSTRM
Baby LFA

Drives: Baby LFA
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Be sure to follow me on Instagram, I am much better about throwing pictures and videos up on there before I update this.

@drift_86

FRSTRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:13 AM   #338
srizzors25
Daedalus Moto

Drives: 05 LGT Wagon, 08 R6 Race Bike
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Love those tails on the red man
Old 08-27-2014, 12:07 PM   #339
FRSTRM
Baby LFA

Garage
I wouldn't have it any other way

Quote:
Originally Posted by srizzors25 View Post
Love those tails on the red man
Old 08-27-2014, 12:35 PM   #340
FRSTRM
Baby LFA

Garage
Once again, another HUGE shout out to my sponsors at KW Suspension. I have been messing around and experimenting with my suspension both for race setup, as well as daily driver setup and it's amazing how versatile it is between the two. Ready to get back to the track to push it to the limits.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:10 PM   #341
FRSTRM
Baby LFA

Garage
Upgraded Audio System!

OEM Audio Plus Reference System 400CF
Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX

EDIT: I'm thinking about CF wrapping the sub box, white isn't really doing it for me
Also, the red reflections carbon fiber ornamentation bezel and radio trim are getting spruced up some, that's why they are missing from the picture.

Old 12-23-2014, 09:23 AM   #342
FRSTRM
Baby LFA

Garage
I hate winter.
Old 12-25-2014, 03:21 PM   #343
FRSTRM
Baby LFA

Garage
Merry Christmas everyone.

The Following User Says Thank You to FRSTRM For This Useful Post:
kanundrum (12-25-2014)
Old 12-25-2014, 03:25 PM   #344
Covo_86

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
beautiful car!
Old 01-11-2015, 05:36 PM   #345
Khmla
BRZILLA

Drives: Subaru BrZilla 2013 limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I see you got the injen intake now! And before had the weapon R intake. Which intake added more HP for you? Thanks!
Khmla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:05 AM   #346
FRSTRM
Baby LFA

Garage
Injen intake added the most HP - the Weapon R added no gains, if not removed some HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khmla View Post
I see you got the injen intake now! And before had the weapon R intake. Which intake added more HP for you? Thanks!
Old 01-12-2015, 11:53 AM   #347
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSTRM View Post
Injen intake added the most HP - the Weapon R added no gains, if not removed some HP
Do you have dyno's for either of those?

They are both similarly designed short ram intakes with 2.5" MAF housings and little to no heat shielding for the filter element. In real world applications they would both remove HP since they essentially become hot air intakes when the hood is closed and turns the engine bay into an oven. Since you removed the already disfunctional (not sealed to the snorkel or to itself) air box for the Injen it has become even more of a hot air intake. Very easy to see the difference in IAT's versus the stock intake or a true cold air intake using an OBD2 app.

The perceived increase in power on a dyno with the hood open, running the stock tune is simply because the car is running a leaner AFR than before and the IAT is lower than it usually is in real world driving. There are many reports of Injen equipped cars bogging down when driving away from a stop light after the intake heat soaks. Also CEL's for lean AFR are common.

Quick search results

Quote:
Originally Posted by *KID* View Post
I actually went from an Injen Intake back to stock. I hated the bog from take off. Put the stock back in and feels wayy better lol. And removed the snornal, and sound tube and sounds really nice. Im looking into just getting a Perrin Silicone Tube and Works filter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuBlake View Post
I had problems with bogging, CEL, and stalling because of a defective Injen intake. My second one hasn't given me an issue, even after 2+ hour trips, although I am starting to think that the car is dramatically losing power after sitting at idle for a while because of the open airbox design.
The issue is so prominent there's a long thread of Injen intake owners converting them to true cold air intakes to fix the issues: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33499

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khmla View Post
I'd recommend not getting an Injen intake or any other short ram (besides Grimmspeed, who did their homework) unless you plan to tune the car for it. A true cold air intake (Perrin/Mishimoto) with a 2.5" MAF housing will produce consistent real world power gains without a tune but they are still nearly the same gains that a drop-in filter in the stock intake will yield since they are actually lowering IATs due to the filter element being relocated to outside the hot engine bay, and not due to MAF/AFR trickery.

Aftermarket intakes without a tune are mostly just for looks/noise and can affect the AFR negatively in the disguise of perceived power gains. Searching the forum will reveal this.

Last edited by ATL BRZ; 01-13-2015 at 12:05 PM.
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:57 AM   #348
FRSTRM
Baby LFA

Garage
Lol what he said.

You won't see much more gain from a tuned drop in air filter. My experience was dyno only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
Do you have dyno's for either of those?

They are both similarly designed short ram intakes with 2.5" MAF housings and little to no heat shielding for the filter element. In real world applications they would both remove HP since they essentially become hot air intakes when the hood is closed and turns the engine bay into an oven. Since you removed the already disfunctional (not sealed to the snorkel or to itself) air box for the Injen it has become even more of a hot air intake. Very easy to see the difference in IAT's versus the stock intake or a true cold air intake using an OBD2 app.

The perceived increase in power on a dyno with the hood open, running the stock tune is simply because the car is running a leaner AFR than before and the IAT is lower than it usually is in real world driving. There are many reports of Injen equipped cars bogging down when driving away from a stop light after the intake heat soaks. Also CEL's for lean AFR are common.

Quick search results

The issue is so prominent there's a long thread of Injen intake owners converting them to true cold air intakes to fix the issues: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33499

I'd recommend not getting an Injen intake or any other short ram unless you plan to tune the car for it. A true cold air intake (Perrin/Mishimoto) with a 2.5" MAF housing will produce consistent real world power gains without a tune but they are still nearly the same gains that a drop-in filter in the stock intake will yield.

Aftermarket intakes without a tune are mostly just for looks/noise. Searching the forum will reveal this.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:01 PM   #349
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSTRM View Post
Lol what he said.

You won't see much more gain from a tuned drop in air filter. My experience was dyno only.
Can you share that dyno chart?
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:26 PM   #350
FRSTRM
Baby LFA

Garage
This was a while ago, I do not have those records. There could have been other factors involved as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
Can you share that dyno chart?