follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 12-30-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
developer

Drives: BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Speed Bleeding time away

I wanted to to do a brake fluid flush and change out to speed bleeders. I ordered two sets of SB1010 speed bleeders from Amazon:

http://goo.gl/ciJ7w

I put the car on jack stands, removed tires and replaced the right rear bleeder. I tightened the bleeder down and decided to test it by pumping the brakes. Well, brake fluid sprayed everywhere. I recheck the tightness and tried again with the same result. I compared the speed bleeder's length with the OEM bleeder and I realized that the speed bleeder was much shorter. (See Pic)

It turns out the Goodridge SB1010 on Amazon are actually SB1010s. So watch out. If the bleeder you are ordering only has about 7 threads on the body it is the short version. You need a bleeder with about 10 threads.

I ended up reordering my speed bleeders from:

http://goo.gl/TyMGF
Attached Images

developer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to developer For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (12-30-2012), Calum (12-30-2012)
Old 12-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
AZP Installs

Drives: '11 STi->'14 BRZ | '14 Touareg TDi
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to AZP Installs
This is what happens when you buy things off Amazon instead of a trusted shop or reseller who specializes in the car you are modifying.

Also speed bleeders have proven over the years to be pretty bad in terms of quality and reliability. Just from our experience over the years.

-Mike Paisan

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.
Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber |AIM: AZP Installs
"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"
AZP Installs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
boredom.is.me
Custom User Title

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Thanked 1,182 Times in 697 Posts
Garage
Brakes aren't exactly something I would personally mess with. Convenience or reliability (a.k.a. life in this case), you choose.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
TemeCal

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZP Installs View Post
Also speed bleeders have proven over the years to be pretty bad in terms of quality and reliability. Just from our experience over the years.

-Mike Paisan
Proven to be "pretty bad in terms of quality and reliability"? I've run them on all my vehicles, and have never had an issue with them. I run them in my truck, which sees dirt every weekend. I run them in my wife's Sequoia, I run them in my daughter's beetle, and I run them on my FR-S. I've run them in previous vehicles, which I tracked a bit. Never once have I had any issues with them.

If you scour the internet forums, you'll see very few failures. The times they've failed, have been due to over-torquing them. My understanding, is that they really can't fail once they've closed.

Where are you hearing about quality and reliability issues? I do, however, agree about buying them from a reputable source. I've heard of the off-brand speed bleeders failing (the ones sold on Amazon, that aren't true "Speed Bleeder" branded.
TemeCal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TemeCal For This Useful Post:
developer (12-31-2012)
Old 12-31-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
AZP Installs

Drives: '11 STi->'14 BRZ | '14 Touareg TDi
Send a message via AIM to AZP Installs
Quote:
Originally Posted by TemeCal View Post
Proven to be "pretty bad in terms of quality and reliability"? I've run them on all my vehicles, and have never had an issue with them. I run them in my truck, which sees dirt every weekend. I run them in my wife's Sequoia, I run them in my daughter's beetle, and I run them on my FR-S. I've run them in previous vehicles, which I tracked a bit. Never once have I had any issues with them.

If you scour the internet forums, you'll see very few failures. The times they've failed, have been due to over-torquing them. My understanding, is that they really can't fail once they've closed.

Where are you hearing about quality and reliability issues? I do, however, agree about buying them from a reputable source. I've heard of the off-brand speed bleeders failing (the ones sold on Amazon, that aren't true "Speed Bleeder" branded.
Maybe in Socal they don't fail, but we've seen them time and time again fail due to deterioration from the salt laden roads up here in the Northeast. We used to carry them but stopped due to the abnormally high failure rate we started to see about 7 years ago. Haven't used them since so perhaps they have changed but for us we just don't see any reason to risk it. I'm sure there are tons of good and bad reviews on any product you find on the internet, so your results may vary.

-Mike Paisan

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.
Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber |AIM: AZP Installs
"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"
AZP Installs is offline   Reply With Quote