follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-16-2021, 03:09 PM   #1
MilkyWitness

Drives: 2019 Pure Red BRZ with PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Car randomly wont start, happened 3-4 times in the past week. Do I need a new battery

2019 BRZ, my car has been acting strange.

It sometimes wont start. It is push button, but I will push the button and I will see some lights on the dash turn on and hear some clicks and then it wont start. Then I try again, and it'll be totally dead, no clicks, no lights, nothing. I then open the hood and I will hear a weird buzzing or electrical sound coming from the passenger side of the engine bay. I will remove the negative terminal from the battery, wait a few moments then reconnect it. Then the car starts just fine when I do that.

I went to Oreilys and they battery tested it and said it was fine. I checked myself with a multimeter and after being parked all night it was at 12.8V turned off, I turned it on and it dipped to 10.71v but started.

I will keep my multimeter in my car incase it dies again and test it then and see what happens, but I just don't understand why it randomly dies. It has done it 3-4 times in the past week.

It hasn't been dead when I start after stopping all night, but it has only ever died after having driven it. It has died after driving it for 15 or so minutes, parking, turning it off, going into a store, coming back out and its dead. It has also died after driving nearly a full tank of gas on the interstate, parking at a gas station, filling up, starting, and its dead.

I have sanded and cleaned the terminals but that didn't do anything and it has died since then. They weren't even really dirty, and they were nice and tight too.

Very confused.

So my question is for now is 10.71v still okay to cold start an engine? What else should I do to diagnose this issue? It hasn't died for a couple days so I am wondering if itll happen again, what should I do? Should I use a multimeter on the battery when it dies again and see whats going on if that helps?

Not sure if the alternator is bad, I don't know how to test it but I could watch a youtube on that. Should I do that?

tl;dr car battery tested at 12.8v cold, 10.71v dip when starting, will randomly not turn on when I start it and hear some clicking, then nothing at all. Removing and reconnecting negative battery terminal fixes it and I can start it just fine. This has happened a few times in the past week when trying to start my car. With car running battery is at 14.2v. Stock original battery and car has 38k miles on it.
MilkyWitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 03:30 PM   #2
BlOody_BoOger

Drives: Hot lava FRS Monogram Charizard
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkyWitness View Post

It sometimes wont start. It is push button, but I will push the button and I will see some lights on the dash turn on and hear some clicks and then it wont start. Then I try again, and it'll be totally dead, no clicks, no lights, nothing. I then open the hood and I will hear a weird buzzing or electrical sound coming from the passenger side of the engine bay. I will remove the negative terminal from the battery, wait a few moments then reconnect it. Then the car starts just fine when I do that.

I went to Oreilys and they battery tested it and said it was fine. I checked myself with a multimeter and after being parked all night it was at 12.8V turned off, I turned it on and it dipped to 10.71v but started.

I will keep my multimeter in my car incase it dies again and test it then and see what happens, but I just don't understand why it randomly dies. It has done it 3-4 times in the past week.

It hasn't been dead when I start after stopping all night, but it has only ever died after having driven it. It has died after driving it for 15 or so minutes, parking, turning it off, going into a store, coming back out and its dead. It has also died after driving nearly a full tank of gas on the interstate, parking at a gas station, filling up, starting, and its dead.

I have sanded and cleaned the terminals but that didn't do anything and it has died since then. They weren't even really dirty, and they were nice and tight too.

Very confused.

So my question is for now is 10.71v still okay to cold start an engine? What else should I do to diagnose this issue? It hasn't died for a couple days so I am wondering if itll happen again, what should I do? Should I use a multimeter on the battery when it dies again and see whats going on if that helps?

Not sure if the alternator is bad, I don't know how to test it but I could watch a youtube on that. Should I do that?

tl;dr car battery tested at 12.8v cold, 10.71v dip when starting, will randomly not turn on when I start it and hear some clicking, then nothing at all. Removing and reconnecting negative battery terminal fixes it and I can start it just fine. This has happened a few times in the past week when trying to start my car. With car running battery is at 14.2v. Stock original battery and car has 38k miles on it.
Do you have to hit the brake for it to crank on?

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
BlOody_BoOger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 03:32 PM   #3
MilkyWitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlOody_BoOger View Post
Do you have to hit the brake for it to crank on?

I am a manual so no just the clutch
Old 01-16-2021, 03:43 PM   #4
BlOody_BoOger

Quote:
Ok I think I know what your problem is let me post a video real quick

Old 01-16-2021, 03:54 PM   #5
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,064 Times in 773 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
check the clutch switches, there are 2 of them actually near the pedal
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 03:58 PM   #6
BlOody_BoOger

Quote:

Old 01-16-2021, 03:59 PM   #7
MilkyWitness

Quote:
Ok I think I know what your problem is let me post a video real quick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm.brz View Post
check the clutch switches, there are 2 of them actually near the pedal
I actually do hear a weird clicking noise when starting from a stop with my clutch while the car is on
Old 01-16-2021, 04:15 PM   #8
MilkyWitness

Quote:

Okay I just went into my car and saw that button, pretty hard to get to. When the clutch is fully pushed in, the switch is not fully pressed, I can push it in further if I use my knife to get to it. I'll have to see if I can get something on there to be able to push it fully in, its really really hard to get to on my car for some reason
Old 01-16-2021, 04:16 PM   #9
BlOody_BoOger

Quote:
Okay I just went into my car and saw that button, pretty hard to get to. When the clutch is fully pushed in, the switch is not fully pressed, I can push it in further if I use my knife to get to it. I'll have to see if I can get something on there to be able to push it fully in, its really really hard to get to on my car for some reason
Yea it's hard try turning it on a few times pushing it with your finger. Just to rule it out and be sure that's what it is

Old 01-16-2021, 04:17 PM   #10
BlOody_BoOger

Quote:
For my I've learned how to reach it from a seating position lol so now it acts like my kill switch

Old 01-16-2021, 10:13 PM   #11
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: GR Corolla
Thanked 3,014 Times in 1,856 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Is your car still under warranty? If so, I would take it in.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:29 AM   #12
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:

Very confused.

A clutch switch would not cause voltage issues. 12.8V with the car off is fine, but realistically, a healthy battery would stay above 12V with the ignition on engine not running. Where was this 10.7V measured? Directly on the battery posts? On the battery terminals? On the alternator B+ post and an engine ground? Body ground?

It sounds like you've got a bad ground, since everything goes dead I'd guess the ground bolt on the right shock tower, but depending on where you measured your voltage that does not explain the 10.7V. Batteries can have internal defects, Long ago on an old celica I've had a battery fail on an internal bus bar between cells, and 10.7 is exactly 2.1 volts under 12.8V, and 12V lead acid batteries are made up of 6x2.1V cells. If the guy at Oreilys tested the battery with a small electronic device, that's not worth much salt, test it with a load cell, proper load for this should be over 200 amps, and since you've got a random issue that goes away and comes back, wiggle the battery posts while it's under load, you may have an internal break in the battery that sometimes makes contact and sometimes doesn't, and sometimes makes contact just enough to wake the car up but fails once you start drawing high current with the starter, removing the battery terminal and reinstalling it may move the post just enough to bridge the gap.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RZNT4R For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (01-19-2021), Ultramaroon (01-18-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 01:18 PM   #13
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,672 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
10v while cranking isn't that unheard of...
Ultramaroon (01-18-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 02:47 PM   #14
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Yeah fine whatever, 10~ish volts is ok lol

BUT YET!

A clutch switch would not cause

Quote:
Then I try again, and it'll be totally dead, no clicks, no lights, nothing.
It's almost as if there was a power supply issue! Shocking isn't it!
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RZNT4R For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (01-18-2021)