follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
DeliciousTuning, Xero-Limit

Old 03-13-2016, 03:13 AM   #1
dj2020

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Innovate Motorsports ECB-1 Gauge with Delicious Tuning FF Kit?

Curious, could this gauge be used in conjunction with the Delicious Tuning FF Kit? I like how this gauge can display boost, AF, ethanol content, and fuel temp (not as important to me) on one gauge.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/ecb1.php

Could the gauge be "spliced" into the DT FF flex fuel sensor or would I need to run another Continental sensor in serial with the DT FF Sensor?
dj2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 04:03 AM   #2
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Drives: 2016 HyperBlue BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
I just picked up an ECB-1 and I was wondering the same. The sensor is different but should function the same. The one in my kit was a Continental 13577429. The one in the Delicious and Moto-East kits looks to be a Continental 13577394.
Luftwaffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 04:34 AM   #3
dj2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffel View Post
I just picked up an ECB-1 and I was wondering the same. The sensor is different but should function the same. The one in my kit was a Continental 13577429. The one in the Delicious and Moto-East kits looks to be a Continental 13577394.

Just dug up the ECB-1 documentation and it looks like the Continental sensor that comes with the DT FF Kit might not be compatible then.

"The ECB-1 is compatible with GM P/Ns 13577429 and 13577379"

So looks like we'll need to run two separate fuel sensors if we're going to run both the ECB-1 and DT/Moto East kits?
Old 03-13-2016, 04:53 AM   #4
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Garage
Found a gold mine of information. The 379 and 394 seem to be exactly the same, but one has longer fuel hard lines.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luftwaffel For This Useful Post:
dj2020 (03-13-2016), FunnyGopher (05-22-2020)
Old 03-13-2016, 05:10 AM   #5
dj2020

Quote:
Found a gold mine of information. The 379 and 394 seem to be exactly the same, but one has longer fuel hard lines.

Great find! You think we can tap into the Continental FF sensor harness for the ECB-1 gauge then?
Old 03-14-2016, 06:29 AM   #6
Xero-Limit

Drives: JDL Turbo FRS, 335SC BRZ (ret)
Thanked 1,547 Times in 525 Posts
Mentioned: 380 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj2020 View Post
Curious, could this gauge be used in conjunction with the Delicious Tuning FF Kit? I like how this gauge can display boost, AF, ethanol content, and fuel temp (not as important to me) on one gauge.

Could the gauge be "spliced" into the DT FF flex fuel sensor or would I need to run another Continental sensor in serial with the DT FF Sensor?
Nothing wrong with their product, but if you want the real time display I'm not sure why you wouldn't just buy our kit to start with then versus using that one? It would be cheaper and you'd get the AN lines by default with no upcharge.

We do have the rear o2 option as well for those that prefer that route and the slightly easier installation. You may find it cheaper to sell your old one and just get ours that is ready for what you need.
Xero-Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Xero-Limit For This Useful Post:
#maverick# (03-14-2016)
Old 03-14-2016, 10:13 AM   #7
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-mike View Post
Nothing wrong with their product, but if you want the real time display I'm not sure why you wouldn't just buy our kit to start with then versus using that one? It would be cheaper and you'd get the AN lines by default with no upcharge.

We do have the rear o2 option as well for those that prefer that route and the slightly easier installation. You may find it cheaper to sell your old one and just get ours that is ready for what you need.
Mike, sorry I tagged you without real context, I thought I had mentioned something after I did it.

We're trying to see how we can integrate the Innovate ECB-1 with the flex fuel kits and I tagged you to see if you've managed to figure out how this would work. We're trying to clean up the interior and not have 50 gauges for various data.

I'm looking at the sensor and I see three pins, which gives me the feeling that we're looking at power, ground, and data. Obviously the flex fuel sensor is already getting powered by your (or their) kit, so maybe Y off of the sensor with just the single data line going to the Innovate gauge?
The Following User Says Thank You to Luftwaffel For This Useful Post:
dj2020 (03-14-2016)
Old 03-14-2016, 10:38 AM   #8
Xero-Limit

Drives: JDL Turbo FRS, 335SC BRZ (ret)
Thanked 1,547 Times in 525 Posts
Mentioned: 380 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Mike, sorry I tagged you without real context, I thought I had mentioned something after I did it.

We're trying to see how we can integrate the Innovate ECB-1 with the flex fuel kits and I tagged you to see if you've managed to figure out how this would work. We're trying to clean up the interior and not have 50 gauges for various data.

I'm looking at the sensor and I see three pins, which gives me the feeling that we're looking at power, ground, and data. Obviously the flex fuel sensor is already getting powered by your (or their) kit, so maybe Y off of the sensor with just the single data line going to the Innovate gauge?
No problem. The sensors all output a frequency, and the ECA/modules all turn that into a usable 0-5 signal. Only differences between the units is where they are made, grade of electronic components, and some additional filters that make for a more stable signal. But you have to have some kind of a frequency to voltage converter to give the gauge the signal. Gauges with integrated ethanol content analyzers should be able to use any one of those GM/Continental based sensors.

The ECB-1 appears to be just that, so you should be able to piggy back the signal from the sensor, but there may be some interference issues so a separate sensor may be needed if you see a change in the ECU rear o2 voltage input on the datalogs.
Xero-Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xero-Limit For This Useful Post:
dj2020 (03-14-2016), Luftwaffel (03-14-2016)
Old 03-14-2016, 11:47 AM   #9
dj2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-mike View Post
No problem. The sensors all output a frequency, and the ECA/modules all turn that into a usable 0-5 signal. Only differences between the units is where they are made, grade of electronic components, and some additional filters that make for a more stable signal. But you have to have some kind of a frequency to voltage converter to give the gauge the signal. Gauges with integrated ethanol content analyzers should be able to use any one of those GM/Continental based sensors.

The ECB-1 appears to be just that, so you should be able to piggy back the signal from the sensor, but there may be some interference issues so a separate sensor may be needed if you see a change in the ECU rear o2 voltage input on the datalogs.

And to expand on this, the GM sensor seems to have one sensor wire...how does the ECB-1 get both ethanol content and fuel temp signals from one signal wire?
Old 03-14-2016, 02:58 PM   #10
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Garage
Quote:
And to expand on this, the GM sensor seems to have one sensor wire...how does the ECB-1 get both ethanol content and fuel temp signals from one signal wire?
I did some pretty heavy reading and have more information now. The three lines are exactly as I assumed.

Vcc = +12V in
Vout = Output
GND = Ground

To answer your question, this is what's involved in the Vout signal:

The sensor output is both frequency and pulse width.
Ethanol content is output as a frequency of 50-150Hz. The math is:
E% = Freq - 50
180-190Hz means water contamination.

Temperature is output as a pulse width of 1ms-5ms. The math is:
Temp(c) = (41.25 * PW) - 81.25

There's mention of a pull-up resistor possibly being required to bridge between Vout and Vcc. Looks like rigging up a cable would be pretty straightforward. The Delphi connectors are readily available on Mouser to do this the "right way".
dj2020 (03-14-2016)
Old 03-14-2016, 03:39 PM   #11
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Garage
Had a few minutes at work. This is basically what I had in mind. I'd probably try and find some shielded cable for good measure. Behold the power of MS Paint.

dj2020 (03-14-2016)
Old 03-14-2016, 03:40 PM   #12
dj2020

Quote:
I did some pretty heavy reading and have more information now. The three lines are exactly as I assumed.

Vcc = +12V in
Vout = Output
GND = Ground

To answer your question, this is what's involved in the Vout signal:

The sensor output is both frequency and pulse width.
Ethanol content is output as a frequency of 50-150Hz. The math is:
E% = Freq - 50
180-190Hz means water contamination.

Temperature is output as a pulse width of 1ms-5ms. The math is:
Temp(c) = (41.25 * PW) - 81.25

There's mention of a pull-up resistor possibly being required to bridge between Vout and Vcc. Looks like rigging up a cable would be pretty straightforward. The Delphi connectors are readily available on Mouser to do this the "right way".

Awesome! Thanks for the info. Any concerns with tapping the signal wire from the Continental ethanol sensor and degrading/interfering with the signal going to the repurposed rear o2? As you said before, if this works, it would be an elegant solution vs. having a bunch of gauges.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:49 PM   #13
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Garage
Quote:
Awesome! Thanks for the info. Any concerns with tapping the signal wire from the Continental ethanol sensor and degrading/interfering with the signal going to the repurposed rear o2? As you said before, if this works, it would be an elegant solution vs. having a bunch of gauges.
As Mike said, the main issue is interference. There shouldn't be a voltage drop. My main concern is what happens when the Zeitronix gear gets a shit signal from the sensor. I'd be leery about testing this.

Admittedly I don't even have a Flex Fuel setup yet so even if I wanted to test it I couldn't. There's nothing over E10 on this island so I haven't seen a reason to spring for it. Maybe if I see a nice used kit I'll pick it up.
dj2020 (03-14-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 05:58 PM   #14
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Drives: Edelbrock Equipped - Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,682 Times in 581 Posts
Mentioned: 403 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

You may want to wait just a bit longer, because we are currently improving our system quite a bit this year. I will not say much right now (picture below) but there is more to the little black box then meets the eye. And because it is developed, designed and made in San Diego, California, USA we can maintain stick quality control standards while you help support the US economy.

Currently our kit does offer a stainless steel mounting bracket (not zip ties) for the ethanol sensor. We also include nylon fuel lines which are 100% ethanol compatible and why most manufacturers use them in their line of vehicles.

Cheers,
William Knose
Delicious Tuning
DeliciousTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeliciousTuning For This Useful Post:
dj2020 (04-12-2016), gkubed (01-25-2019)