follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-24-2021, 02:25 PM   #113
CSG Mike
 
CSG Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: S2000 CR
Location: Orange County
Posts: 13,754
Thanks: 8,592
Thanked 13,264 Times in 6,415 Posts
Mentioned: 928 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgranberg11 View Post
I forgot to ask you and seeing your name pop up on facebook made me remember to ask you. When you said both our BRZs are not classed well for SM, what would you do differently do your BRZ to make it more competitive?
1. make it lighter; my car is significantly heavier than stock, with essentially only the addition of cooling, power, comfort, and aero mods, and zero weight reduction

2. make way more power. Ideally double, realistically I think 550whp would make it competitive. Every podium car in SM quite literally walks my Supra in a straight line.

3. class-competitive aero


The BRZ is in SM because of added boost. The Supra is in SM because of bolt-on aero. Quite literally, both cars are just run in whatever class they happen to fall in, and neither are built to any sort of class. I've always ran both cars with complete aftermarket audio systems in the car LOL
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 02:47 PM   #114
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Drives: Turbo BRZ
Location: IL
Posts: 665
Thanks: 165
Thanked 250 Times in 186 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
1. make it lighter; my car is significantly heavier than stock, with essentially only the addition of cooling, power, comfort, and aero mods, and zero weight reduction

2. make way more power. Ideally double, realistically I think 550whp would make it competitive. Every podium car in SM quite literally walks my Supra in a straight line.

3. class-competitive aero


The BRZ is in SM because of added boost. The Supra is in SM because of bolt-on aero. Quite literally, both cars are just run in whatever class they happen to fall in, and neither are built to any sort of class. I've always ran both cars with complete aftermarket audio systems in the car LOL
got it, those three things were all the things i was thinking about myself. gotta be bumpin in grid to get you in the right mindset or for the travel to and from the track lol. thanks
pgranberg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 02:53 PM   #115
WolfpackS2k
Senior Member
 
WolfpackS2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Drives: '06 Cayman S, '17 GTI Sport
Location: NC
Posts: 2,551
Thanks: 2,450
Thanked 1,457 Times in 830 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Cayman are much easier on tires, but go through brakes rather quickly. Of course the "easy" fix is to get brakes from a higher trim, but it's definitely not cheap!
I'm not club racing. Just run solo run group session HPDEs with PCA and NASA. My Pagid Yellows were only half worn after 5 weekends at RRR & VIR. (200 & 300 TW tires). Still had enough friction material left (when the engine blew) that someone gave me $100 for the pads.

That was far better brake wear, (for me) than my S2000 ever was. And the pads only cost about $100 more (new) than the S2000.
__________________
Current: '12 C63 AMG P31 & '17 VW GTI Sport
'06 Porsche Cayman S - sold and missed

'13 SWP BRZ-L - Innovate Supercharged - RIP, claimed by VIR T10

'07 S2000 - DD & track rat - sold
'92 GS-R - 300k club member - sold
WolfpackS2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 02:59 PM   #116
CSG Mike
 
CSG Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: S2000 CR
Location: Orange County
Posts: 13,754
Thanks: 8,592
Thanked 13,264 Times in 6,415 Posts
Mentioned: 928 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
I'm not club racing. Just run solo run group session HPDEs with PCA and NASA. My Pagid Yellows were only half worn after 5 weekends at RRR & VIR. (200 & 300 TW tires). Still had enough friction material left (when the engine blew) that someone gave me $100 for the pads.

That was far better brake wear, (for me) than my S2000 ever was. And the pads only cost about $100 more (new) than the S2000.
The comment was relative to a 5th generation Supra; Supra brakes are rather well sized from the factory!
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 02:59 PM   #117
CSG Mike
 
CSG Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: S2000 CR
Location: Orange County
Posts: 13,754
Thanks: 8,592
Thanked 13,264 Times in 6,415 Posts
Mentioned: 928 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Monkey View Post
Nobody serious tracks the CTR on 20's, everyone runs 18's. Front brake pads are gone in three track days.
The car feels like doodoo on street 18's; people do it for 1. cost and 2. tire availability.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Jordanwolf (08-24-2021)
Old 08-24-2021, 03:01 PM   #118
WolfpackS2k
Senior Member
 
WolfpackS2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Drives: '06 Cayman S, '17 GTI Sport
Location: NC
Posts: 2,551
Thanks: 2,450
Thanked 1,457 Times in 830 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
The comment was relative to a 5th generation Supra; Supra brakes are rather well sized from the factory!
Makes a lot more sense, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
The car feels like doodoo on street 18's; people do it for 1. cost and 2. tire availability.
Anyone tracking a heavy (relative speaking) powerful FWD car should know what they're getting into
__________________
Current: '12 C63 AMG P31 & '17 VW GTI Sport
'06 Porsche Cayman S - sold and missed

'13 SWP BRZ-L - Innovate Supercharged - RIP, claimed by VIR T10

'07 S2000 - DD & track rat - sold
'92 GS-R - 300k club member - sold
WolfpackS2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 03:29 PM   #119
Jordanwolf
Rice King
 
Jordanwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Location: The land of the North
Posts: 2,842
Thanks: 1,053
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,172 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
The car feels like doodoo on street 18's; people do it for 1. cost and 2. tire availability.
Very big doodoo.
__________________
Glorious Honda.
Know my 5x120 GREATNESS PEASANTS.
Jordanwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 03:37 PM   #120
Jordanwolf
Rice King
 
Jordanwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Location: The land of the North
Posts: 2,842
Thanks: 1,053
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,172 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
Makes a lot more sense, haha.



Anyone tracking a heavy (relative speaking) powerful FWD car should know what they're getting into
For the most part I knew what I was getting into. There is easily much cheaper and better packages for HDPEs(etc) on a tight budget.
__________________
Glorious Honda.
Know my 5x120 GREATNESS PEASANTS.
Jordanwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 03:41 PM   #121
Jordanwolf
Rice King
 
Jordanwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Location: The land of the North
Posts: 2,842
Thanks: 1,053
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,172 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Monkey View Post
Nobody serious tracks the CTR on 20's, everyone runs 18's. Front brake pads are gone in three track days.
You can only run 19s in Street class. A rule that should be revised imo.
__________________
Glorious Honda.
Know my 5x120 GREATNESS PEASANTS.
Jordanwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
Code Monkey (08-24-2021)
Old 08-24-2021, 05:24 PM   #122
WolfpackS2k
Senior Member
 
WolfpackS2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Drives: '06 Cayman S, '17 GTI Sport
Location: NC
Posts: 2,551
Thanks: 2,450
Thanked 1,457 Times in 830 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
For the most part I knew what I was getting into. There is easily much cheaper and better packages for HDPEs(etc) on a tight budget.
You seem like the type that did
__________________
Current: '12 C63 AMG P31 & '17 VW GTI Sport
'06 Porsche Cayman S - sold and missed

'13 SWP BRZ-L - Innovate Supercharged - RIP, claimed by VIR T10

'07 S2000 - DD & track rat - sold
'92 GS-R - 300k club member - sold
WolfpackS2k is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WolfpackS2k For This Useful Post:
Jordanwolf (08-24-2021)
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vaping in cars+other vape related Packofcrows Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] 22 07-09-2015 01:33 PM
New 97 non turbo supra front rotors x 2 njccmd2002 Miscellaneous 0 08-07-2013 09:55 PM
Toyota 86 GT & Single Turbo Supra Shoot :) RZ86 FR-S & 86 Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum 4 08-13-2012 02:32 AM
When will they start making Toyota Supra kit cars LexusFman Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions 12 11-15-2011 11:49 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.