follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-27-2016, 07:00 AM   #113
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
you wont hear knock on these cars unless its extremely bad.

Ive seen knock corrections of -3 degrees and IAM at 0.5 and you don't hear any knock in cabin ,but it sure shows up in the logs.
Oh no doubt it was being corrected for I am not saying for one second that all was great just that the noticeable signs (knock, lack of power, etc) were almost nonexistent. The point was the claim is being made that the knock will be "extremely bad" so it should be audible. You can certainly log things that will never appear in driving nor harm the car in any manner (when done in small doses). I was also stating there could be a difference in the quality of the South African and Canadian gas that could account for the higher level of knock the log showed there. The quality can change fro city to city here much less from totally different refineries, additives and storage systems. You can not use the logs from one place and apply them equally across the world but they do give a base idea.
Again I am not for one second saying run out and fill up with 87 and nothing happens but simply that if you have to you are not going to rip the engine apart on a tank.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:52 AM   #114
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Oh no doubt it was being corrected for I am not saying for one second that all was great just that the noticeable signs (knock, lack of power, etc) were almost nonexistent. The point was the claim is being made that the knock will be "extremely bad" so it should be audible. You can certainly log things that will never appear in driving nor harm the car in any manner (when done in small doses). I was also stating there could be a difference in the quality of the South African and Canadian gas that could account for the higher level of knock the log showed there. The quality can change fro city to city here much less from totally different refineries, additives and storage systems. You can not use the logs from one place and apply them equally across the world but they do give a base idea.
Again I am not for one second saying run out and fill up with 87 and nothing happens but simply that if you have to you are not going to rip the engine apart on a tank.

yes agree, its very likely within the ecu ability to cope with in normal driving on stock tune, yeah its going to knock but likely not bad enough to cause damage in short term.

however some of these guys have cars tuned (some to 93) and that's a bit different.

As would be tracking or driving rearly hard even a stock car on 87 :-), yeah again it probably would not blow up on the day but its not something I would recommend either.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-27-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 08:18 AM   #115
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
yes agree, its very likely within the ecu ability to cope with in normal driving on stock tune, yeah its going to knock but likely not bad enough to cause damage in short term.

however some of these guys have cars tuned (some to 93) and that's a bit different.

As would be tracking or driving rearly hard even a stock car on 87 :-), yeah again it probably would not blow up on the day but its not something I would recommend either.
Yes. I don't think I was clear that I was speaking stock car with stock tune performing regular street duty. Alternate tunes, modified engines and hard driving are all a whole different situation and you could rip an engine apart in a hurry if running the wrong or bad fuel.
I feel that a lot of the guys that are worried about the 87 think that everybody drives their car balls out all the time when in fact many are driven just as a normal street car with just brief spurts of fun involved.
steve99 (04-27-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 10:01 AM   #116
86kahl

Drives: whiteout, dark tint
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Welcome to the forums. 😂😂
86kahl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86kahl For This Useful Post:
Ryan_86 (04-27-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 11:11 AM   #117
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I knew that ages ago. You were probably napping again. Still just one of the guys anyway.
Well, it's hard for me to sort them out anymore......

Even when you go into the restroom ...... one can't be sure .....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
soulreapersteve (04-27-2016), Tcoat (04-27-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 06:28 PM   #118
billwot

Drives: '11 Cayman , '14 Camry, '11 Tacoma
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post

humfrz
Oh, we fixed that in NC!
billwot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to billwot For This Useful Post:
humfrz (04-27-2016), Tcoat (04-27-2016), wireman957 (04-27-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 11:13 PM   #119
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwot View Post
Oh, we fixed that in NC!
Just checking ........

humfrz
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
billwot (04-28-2016), Tcoat (04-28-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 11:40 PM   #120
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post

humfrz
I was at a concert over the weekend. There were some hot cosplayers.

I couldn't tell if they were male or female. Too afraid to gamble.
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:45 AM   #121
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreapersteve View Post
I was at a concert over the weekend. There were some hot cosplayers.

I couldn't tell if they were male or female. Too afraid to gamble.
Reminds me of back-in-the-60's, living in San Jose, my wife and I would get a kick out of taking our midwestern visiting friends and relatives up to the Finocchio's Club in San Francisco.

I remember my brother was still thinking the persons were all female ......... half way through the show......

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
soulreapersteve (04-28-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 08:42 AM   #122
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatScan View Post
He is a she. Your assumptions suck ass. Still awaiting objective proof which should be easy.
Quote:
Mods for torque and HP automatically excludes mileage. You need to decide what you want. I'm happy to break 25 MPG with gasoline, 20 with E85. I try to get those numbers as low as I can, because fun. Wrong car for MPG, even if stock.
Quote:
My next full tank will be 87 (US) octane, 91 OFT tune, post data logs. I will drive the car not like a dumbass. IAM will not reach zero.
First off I want to apologize if I came off as angry or insincere I had no intention of doing that. I was off from work today so I did some some data logging and bit the bullet and ran 87 octane for research purposes.

1) My comment of the IAM dropping to zero was in response to your brain exploding all over your keyboard to these dangerous posts:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=18

The comments you made are quoted and that was what got me riled up so I surmised that you believe it was safe to run a tune for E85 and run 87 octane in it, as well as run 87 in a 91 or 93 octane tune. In fact the way you were typing it out in an unclear fashion made it seem you did it constantly. Also this comment: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=28
"Pull the plugs back a bit to lower compression"
I wasn't sure if you were joking or being serious or why you decided it'd be genius to post a picture of an Openflash tablet as an end all comment? You also said "Strange how well the car runs on E85. And for 87" it doesn't run well that's the mistake. I then commented on a "Bought New car..." thread because you began to suggest it was alright to running incorrect octane fuels with tunes to a new owner looking to start modding:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=58

I said the IAMs would eventually reach 0 which I have seen on forum posts that I posted on your freak out posts telling me to "show some f***ing proof". You then "hyperbolized" what I said into that it would "DESTROY" a new engine:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=59

Bottom line you were talking about running a tune and using 87 octane or running e85 and running 87 octane so that's how my logs are done, plus you seem to take things a bit too far on this forum anyway.

Here’s the walkthrough of my logs I'm running an OFH tune and 93 octane all the time with my CNT uel. Also with UELs I can't run anything else other than a tune otherwise I'll get a P0420 error. Now, of course you can always flash back to the OEM tune in times of dire need but someone else can check what the data logs read for that. I have a feeling with the OEM tune IAM will drop to .70 as was seen in some posts in the software tuning section, it get worse than what I achieved today of the 0 after repeated pulls.

Here is what the logs normally look like on a good day with 93 octane on the new OFH tunes on my AT ZA1JD00D:
http://datazap.me/u/frsbrzgt86fan/co...&data=1-2-8-10

Notice I had almost 0 knock correction except for the slight OFT glitch or something that went -.32 and my IAM stayed at 1 so it should be like that all the time and it looks like the CNT UELs are a good candidate for the OFH specific tunes. The time in NJ I wasn't actually data logging but looking at the tablet and saw it jump to places like -.72 or -.8 in the kc and the IAM stuck at .87 and jumping around at that.

After being low on gas I filled half my tank up today with 87 octane for a whopping 2.39 a gallon!! This was a giant gas station at a local road called "2nd street Pike", I chose there specifically due to the fact I wanted a long straight road I could do pulls, but I didn't remember that morning rush traffic would get in the way. So I did some pulls up and down that road till I got to 3/4 of the tank and parked in a grocery store and turned the car off and got my Openflash tablet out.

http://datazap.me/u/frsbrzgt86fan/te...ata=1-2-5-9-12

That's what I data logged before the first rest, for some reason the IAMs started at .25 then increased to .9, I also only really got any knock correction at .7 IAM at -.69 degrees puttering through traffic. So I stopped the car and pulled over waited a couple seconds with the car off and OFT unplugged and plugged it back in and started the car and did another pull at around 1/4 of a tank left:

http://datazap.me/u/frsbrzgt86fan/te...a=1-2-5-6-9-12

I was starting to get .5 IAM then it would start rising again all the way up to .93 at the 10 minute mark and I got a bunch of small knock corrections. I then did the same process of stopping the car on the side of the road after going the opposite direction and letting the car sit for a few minutes while I check some text messages. I then did my final 20 minute pull:

http://datazap.me/u/frsbrzgt86fan/te...a=1-2-5-8-9-12

My IAMs reached 0 and I started to get some lean AFRS higher than 14:1 and not on overrun, THIS IS WHAT I MEANT BY IAM REACHING 0, it actually felt the most sluggish on this pull and flkc started to get much more negative.

Take it for what you will, but this is what I meant and you blew things out of proportion and unnecessarily, for me at least here in suburban PA, 87 octane may be of such low quality it causes the IAMs to skitter around and drop and for me to get engine pinging and unusual flkc. Long term this will definitely do some sort of wear, as you described there’s a stretch of your commute where you run 87 octane with the tune repeatedly, if you run the OEM tune feel free to data log as that is much safer than what I did. You're IAM, flkc and knock correction may be more aggressive at the start but remember its correcting AFTER a knock event occurs so there is some sort of pinging occurring for it to try and counter and it may drop to .6 or .7 but that's still pretty bad, and it doesn’t run “fine” or “as good as other octanes” and it’s not “A lawyer making the decision regarding octane, not an engineer." it's legitimately engineers making coherent decisions programming a tune into the ecu that works for a high compression engine with 4 injectors per cylinder. Also if I had pushed it harder like to pass someone I would've totally gotten the engine to knock even more.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
ConceptX (05-02-2016), Tcoat (05-02-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 03:41 PM   #123
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_86 View Post
I always find 93 and run 93 in Houston where I live, Ill just keep the OFT in the car and flash to stock if I need to if I am on some trip out in the middle of no where and there is only 87, which will probably be never.
Hopefully you're not scared off in the middle of the fuel feud

Bottom line is you made a good first choice with the gruppe s uel and OFT, just run the stock tune if you get into trouble.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
car, cats, frs, mods, scion, women