follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 03-22-2021, 01:48 PM   #5643
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
My stock fuel pump failed after 4 years. Engine idles fine, car drives okay normally. But acceleration, especially left turns, lead to engine hesitating. I have bought replacement Deatchwerks 300c and ordered a Verus fuel flap door for starvation and I am not driving until those are installed next weekend.

Last time I tried WOT while engine was hesitating, I heard a clanking sound. I immediately released the throttle and parked the car. Engine still starts okay warms up without any CEL codes but I have not tried on the road yet. After the fuel pump is installed I will check again. If I bent a conrod or damaged the valves, it is IAG shortblock time. I have been planning to do that anyway.

With FI, the engine is more sensitive to fuel starvation. I highly recommend replacing your fuel pumps and install the Verus fuel starvation before seeing the fuel pump fail. I wish I had done this earlier before risking the engine.
Additionally, I recommend always running with a full tank of fuel if driving in a spirited manner, and always staying over 1/4 tank even for commuting.

Starving the fuel pump is a great way to kill it!
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
mrg666 (03-22-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 10:21 AM   #5644
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
The fuel pump replacement did not fix the problem. But it was going to be replaced anyway. I have ordered a full set of OEM direct and port injectors. I will replace the injectors next. Fingers crossed.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrg666 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (04-01-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 10:04 PM   #5645
dreamwonder

Drives: GR86 2022
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
So update on my problems.. I hope I found the (only) issue.
I kept digging and never saw anything wrong on the car. engine was re-tuned and no issues on the dyno.

I entered for a race at COTA last weekend and since I hadn't been there with this car, I did the practice day. Glad I did since the car completely shredded another belt while on track. While looking at the pulleys (for the 10000th time!), I could finally see some misalignment between the S/C and the A/C compressor pulleys. before it was invisible even with straightedge, etc..

I could also grab the top of the S/C and move it a little-- not normal. So I pulled the whole thing off and started digging deeper. I finally flipped the S/C over in the engine bay while I was trying to find a place to rest it without disconnecting the oil lines. Then I noticed this...

Faaak. plain ol' fatigue crack that I never noticed until it was bad enough to permanently deform the bracket. Looking at the design of the bracket itself, it only mounts to the lower three bolts on the S/C, which is supported by standoff rods holding everything away from the block several inches. these are ideal conditions for vibration and fatigue.

I called JR and they had replacement brackets in stock, but it was Friday afternoon-- even if I forked up the money for Next Day Air, Saturday Early AM delivery, the part found its way to COTA on time and I found where they delivered it to the track, I'd still miss qualifying and have to start in the back of a >50 car field while the pole in my class was qualified 12th overall.

I just wasn't in the mood to thrash all weekend and deal with fighting 40 cars to get to the front (I would have to fight my way through all the mid-pack Larrys with tons of power and no skillz!!), so I put the car in the trailer and came home.

The replacement mounting bracket should arrive in the mail today, and I'm going to find a way to triangulate some bracing on the top over to the A/C compressor or some other way to support the S/C and reduce the vibration so I can hopefully prevent future fatigue cracks...
Datapoint. I had a similar issue, the bracket cracked at the same spot, into 2 separate pieces. Found out at about the same time my alternator died. Supercharger has about 40k+ miles on it. Guessing 70 to 90ish track days. Emailed JR asking what might have caused the problem...never got a replied. Called and bought a replacement bracket.
dreamwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:40 PM   #5646
degozaru

Drives: 2016 oceanic frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I started hearing a high pitched sound in my engine bay near the redline. sounds kind of like a whistle. I took a look and searched this thread and although there hasn't been anyone with my exact issue, it sounds like my belt may have gotten dirty? I noticed it after my 3rd run at an autocross event where i spun out and stalled the car.

Im planning on spraying some belt conditioner, but wondering if anyone has had a similar experience, and what to look out for.
degozaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 10:18 AM   #5647
ML

Drives: 13 White MT FR-S
Thanked 1,121 Times in 518 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by degozaru View Post
I started hearing a high pitched sound in my engine bay near the redline. sounds kind of like a whistle. I took a look and searched this thread and although there hasn't been anyone with my exact issue, it sounds like my belt may have gotten dirty? I noticed it after my 3rd run at an autocross event where i spun out and stalled the car.

Im planning on spraying some belt conditioner, but wondering if anyone has had a similar experience, and what to look out for.
take the belt off and inspect it. I had a squealing issue with mine but the belt looked fine until I took it off and found about 3 inch section of the outside rib had separated from the rest of the belt.

Build Thread https://www.instagram.com/mount_tele_lion/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbiont View Post
I swear I will punch your car if you put these on. Right in the face.
ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 12:44 AM   #5648
degozaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML View Post
take the belt off and inspect it. I had a squealing issue with mine but the belt looked fine until I took it off and found about 3 inch section of the outside rib had separated from the rest of the belt.

I will try this, along with a boost leak this weekend.

Here is a video i took for a friend
Old 04-27-2021, 08:29 AM   #5649
ML

Garage
Quote:
I will try this, along with a boost leak this weekend.

Here is a video i took for a friend
Oh I saw that on facebook....that's a different sound than mine. I'd put a bet on some type of blow off valve issue as it only seems to happen when you start building boost. Maybe some kind of hairline crack in the body? Maybe switch to this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/231833193852

Quote:
Old 04-27-2021, 01:52 PM   #5650
degozaru

Quote:
Oh I saw that on facebook....that's a different sound than mine. I'd put a bet on some type of blow off valve issue as it only seems to happen when you start building boost. Maybe some kind of hairline crack in the body? Maybe switch to this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/231833193852
Thanks for the help. Is there a way to test the diverter valve? would i need a retune to run that valve?
thanks!
Old 04-27-2021, 02:08 PM   #5651
ML

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the help. Is there a way to test the diverter valve? would i need a retune to run that valve?
thanks!
probably, maybe rig up some kind of setup where you seal off all the ends except keep the hose to the vacuum port on and then blow some air in it while its in a bucket of water and watch for bubbles? No retune required for a new BOV

Quote:
Old 04-27-2021, 10:07 PM   #5652
degozaru

Quote:
probably, maybe rig up some kind of setup where you seal off all the ends except keep the hose to the vacuum port on and then blow some air in it while its in a bucket of water and watch for bubbles? No retune required for a new BOV

So Ive tried a couple things today:
  1. Run with the recirc valve disconnected from the charge pipe. This still had the sound so i crossed the re-circulation valve out from my list of possible things wrong
  2. Double check the exhaust for loose bolts. it seemed ok.
  3. friend told me to slowly build RPMs. This blew a boost coupler and I retightened it and made sure all my couplers were ok. I tried this again but it still made the sound after re-tightening.
I noticed that when i slowly build RPM rather than WOT, the sound is not there. It is seemingly only when i push the car (75% throttle?). would this point to something else?
Old 05-06-2021, 02:24 PM   #5653
dynarun55

Drives: 2015 midnight blue limited edition.
Post Decided on JRS C30.... Not sure ON E85

Finally decided to pull the trigger on JRSC. Current mods are just excedy stage 1 clutch and an HKS drop in filter so this will be my first real power upgrade. My goals are just some spirited daily driving (99%) with may be a track day but not anytime soon. My stock engine already has 98k miles on it. And I would love it to last for atleast another 50k. With these in mind, would love to hear your thoughts on these questions that I have

1.What I should look over, before installing the supercharger on my 98k old engine ?

2. Is going flex fuel - E85 worth it ? Would that negatively impact my goal of reliability ? Note that filling up a tank of E85 will be few and far between.

3. Do I need oil cooler and catch cans ?

4. Anything else that I would need that does not ship with the kit ?
dynarun55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:00 PM   #5654
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynarun55 View Post
Finally decided to pull the trigger on JRSC. Current mods are just excedy stage 1 clutch and an HKS drop in filter so this will be my first real power upgrade. My goals are just some spirited daily driving (99%) with may be a track day but not anytime soon. My stock engine already has 98k miles on it. And I would love it to last for atleast another 50k. With these in mind, would love to hear your thoughts on these questions that I have

1.What I should look over, before installing the supercharger on my 98k old engine ?

2. Is going flex fuel - E85 worth it ? Would that negatively impact my goal of reliability ? Note that filling up a tank of E85 will be few and far between.

3. Do I need oil cooler and catch cans ?

4. Anything else that I would need that does not ship with the kit ?
1. everything you should do at 100k. Spark plugs, water pump, clean your injectors, etc. Ignore belt, because it'll be replaced as part of the JRSC>

2. 100% yes, but remember more power = more load.

3. To track, you should get the oil cooler.

4. a MAP sensor if you go with a custom tune.

PM me to order and I can get you properly set up.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:05 PM   #5655
dynarun55

Drives: 2015 midnight blue limited edition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
1. everything you should do at 100k. Spark plugs, water pump, clean your injectors, etc. Ignore belt, because it'll be replaced as part of the JRSC>

2. 100% yes, but remember more power = more load.

3. To track, you should get the oil cooler.

4. a MAP sensor if you go with a custom tune.

PM me to order and I can get you properly set up.
Thanks.. If i do go flex fuel, I'll need new injectors and fuel pump right ?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
dynarun55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:13 PM   #5656
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynarun55 View Post
Thanks.. If i do go flex fuel, I'll need new injectors and fuel pump right ?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Port injectors yes, fuel pump, not with the stock pulley.

DI injectors should still be cleaned by a professional injector service.