follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 10-19-2021, 02:06 PM   #1
MachGoGoGo

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Help Identifying Oil Leak

Hello everyone,

I just recently purchased my 2015 Scion FR-S from Carvana this past weekend. I took the car to my local Toyota service center to have it checked by a technician. They gave me the all clear, and the car has been awesome since I've gotten it. They were impressed it has less than 7000 miles on it.

I noticed today while looking under the hood, that there was some oil pooled near the Oil Filter on the engine block. I was able to squeeze my hand in and clean up some of the oil, but there's still a bit a little further back that I couldn't clean just yet.

Trying to figure out what could have been the cause of it. I'm not sure it was there when I received the car. (Popped the hood and looked around for leaks and worn parts).

I'm thinking (hoping) they pulled the old Oil Filter and it spilled a bit over where the oil collected. Curious to hear what you guys think!

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Attached Images

MachGoGoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 03:23 PM   #2
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,976 Times in 2,195 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Usually the filter drains within 5 minutes or so and it doesn't spill everywhere when you pull it off.
That looks like fresh oil spilled by neglecting to use a funnel.
If it was an older consistent leak, it would be darker and have dust stuck to it when it creeps over the surfaces it's on.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcj For This Useful Post:
humfrz (10-20-2021), NoHaveMSG (10-19-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 04:06 PM   #3
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
agree with what cj said
wipe off and see if you would see oil again
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 04:48 PM   #4
VIP BRZ

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Is it even oil? looks like earl gray
VIP BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 05:01 PM   #5
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIP BRZ View Post
Is it even oil? looks like earl gray

The 0W20 isn’t much thicker
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (11-04-2021)
Old 10-20-2021, 02:35 AM   #6
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Hello MachGoGoGo and welcome to our forum -

Congratulations on your new machine -

I agree with what @bcj had to say.

Just clean it up and see if it comes back.

If the tires on your car are the OEM summer tires and you plan on driving it in the winter, I suggest you invest in a set of winter (or at least all-season) tires.
Don't wait till you try to drive on the first snow covered road to see what I'm ah talken about -
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 11:55 AM   #7
MachGoGoGo

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Hello MachGoGoGo and welcome to our forum -

Congratulations on your new machine -

I agree with what @bcj had to say.

Just clean it up and see if it comes back.

If the tires on your car are the OEM summer tires and you plan on driving it in the winter, I suggest you invest in a set of winter (or at least all-season) tires.
Don't wait till you try to drive on the first snow covered road to see what I'm ah talken about -

Thank you all so much for all the advice and welcome!
This is actually my second 86 that I've owned. I had a brand new ultramarine FR-S back in 2015 that I leased. I loved it, but had to return my lease early in order to save money to complete college and fulfill my student teaching requirements. I'm happy to be back in an 86 again!

I was able to clean up a little bit of the oil (some is in very tight hard to reach places) and drive the car a short distance after work.

Nothing seemed to return, but I did notice that the spot directly behind the oil filter did have some collected there as well. It makes a lot of sense that the CarQuest filter Carvana installed was probably a quick change, and they probably did not use a funnel either.

I'll continue to monitor it and try to clean up the tough to reach spots!

Thank you again!

The car came with like new Bridgestone Turanza all season tires instead of the Michelin Primacy Tires. I think I should be okay this winter in light snow conditions with the car, but I'm looking into possibly purchasing Blizzak tires for safety and piece of mind.
MachGoGoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MachGoGoGo For This Useful Post:
humfrz (10-20-2021), soundman98 (10-20-2021), VIP BRZ (10-20-2021)
Old 10-20-2021, 12:48 PM   #8
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachGoGoGo View Post
This is actually my second 86 that I've owned. I had a brand new ultramarine FR-S back in 2015 that I leased. I loved it, but had to return my lease early in order to save money to complete college and fulfill my student teaching requirements. I'm happy to be back in an 86 again!

I was able to clean up a little bit of the oil (some is in very tight hard to reach places) and drive the car a short distance after work.

Nothing seemed to return, but I did notice that the spot directly behind the oil filter did have some collected there as well. It makes a lot of sense that the CarQuest filter Carvana installed was probably a quick change, and they probably did not use a funnel either.

Thank you again!

The car came with like new Bridgestone Turanza all season tires instead of the Michelin Primacy Tires. I think I should be okay this winter in light snow conditions with the car, but I'm looking into possibly purchasing Blizzak tires for safety and piece of mind.
Congratulations on completing your college studies -

To absorb the oil in those tough to reach spots, Bubba suggests you stick a tampon on the end of a piece of #9 wire and reach in there.

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (10-21-2021), soundman98 (11-04-2021)
Old 11-04-2021, 05:22 AM   #9
aricjoshua

Drives: Mercedes
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachGoGoGo View Post

Thank you again!

I'm having the same problem as you, did you find the problem now? I hope you will share here.
aricjoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 02:17 PM   #10
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,516 Times in 18,918 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aricjoshua View Post
I'm having the same problem as you, did you find the problem now? I hope you will share here.
Are you a bot? Will you be editing your post to add nice spammy link?