follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-02-2015, 09:14 PM   #15
2016 Camaro SS

Drives: Fast
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post
good with numbers how?

they're amazing business people and competent engineers..

race =/= competency or skillset
It was a racist joke, lol.
2016 Camaro SS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2016 Camaro SS For This Useful Post:
Koa (04-03-2015), Shourewaters (05-11-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 09:17 PM   #16
2016 Camaro SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronjones239 View Post
Glad to see there's another company looking into air straighteners on the intake. I have seen them used in the dirt bike world for years to help improve low end throttle response. I have been curious to see if a company will make something similar to FMF's Snap. http://www.fmfracing.com/Products/Accessories/632
Just a simple design that slots into the intake tube before the throttle body. I've heard they make a small noticeable difference but have not ridden a bike before and after to know for sure.
Should really check out Grimmspeed's intake... they did thorough R&D and involved the community throughout it. The intake above is a complete copy of theirs unfortunately. Sorry, but I have to give credit where it's due. It just sucks that this is how business has come to where offshore they copy designs and mass produce to undercut to hurt the original people who created it.

Read through the Grimmspeed intake thread and you'll see why I chose it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2016 Camaro SS For This Useful Post:
boredom.is.me (04-02-2015), Koa (04-03-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 09:49 PM   #17
cameronjones239

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series Blue
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016 Camaro SS View Post
Should really check out Grimmspeed's intake... they did thorough R&D and involved the community throughout it. The intake above is a complete copy of theirs unfortunately. Sorry, but I have to give credit where it's due. It just sucks that this is how business has come to where offshore they copy designs and mass produce to undercut to hurt the original people who created it.

Read through the Grimmspeed intake thread and you'll see why I chose it.
I read through it awhile back while debating which intake to run. I ended up with an injen and was pretty happy with it. Went back to stock a few weeks ago due to running an OTS e85 tune. If I end up back on 91/93 for long term grimmspeed will be on my car install until boost. Or maybe give ol mishimoto a try depending on their end result. I will agree I believe grimmspeed is the best intake out for our cars right now.

Quote:
Air straighteners on our MAF sensor and General design is necessary to provide accurate readings for the maf, not necessarily to provide more erm.. Throttle response
You must have misread what I was getting at, I am not talking about air straighteners on the MAF sensor. I understand the purpose behind that. I'm just glad there is another company looking into them in general considering grimmspeed is the only one for our cars right now. For placement I was referring to placing one right before the throttle body itself in the intake tube, smoothest possible air flow right before it enters the throttle body.. If it would actually make a small difference with these cars, maybe, maybe not. Doesn't hurt to try. If it supposedly has a small effect on dirt bikes, why not try that with our intakes. It very well could even be a placebo in the off road world too.
cameronjones239 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cameronjones239 For This Useful Post:
Koa (04-02-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 10:38 PM   #18
x1UP
One & Done (AOZORA)

Drives: '15 Series.Blue BRZ (WRB)
I'm still supporting @GrimmSpeed on this one. They are revolutionaries!
2016 Camaro SS (04-02-2015), golfyankee2121 (07-19-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 10:53 PM   #19
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I read through it awhile back while debating which intake to run. I ended up with an injen and was pretty happy with it. Went back to stock a few weeks ago due to running an OTS e85 tune. If I end up back on 91/93 for long term grimmspeed will be on my car install until boost. Or maybe give ol mishimoto a try depending on their end result. I will agree I believe grimmspeed is the best intake out for our cars right now.

You must have misread what I was getting at, I am not talking about air straighteners on the MAF sensor. I understand the purpose behind that. I'm just glad there is another company looking into them in general considering grimmspeed is the only one for our cars right now. For placement I was referring to placing one right before the throttle body itself in the intake tube, smoothest possible air flow right before it enters the throttle body.. If it would actually make a small difference with these cars, maybe, maybe not. Doesn't hurt to try. If it supposedly has a small effect on dirt bikes, why not try that with our intakes. It very well could even be a placebo in the off road world too.
man traffic makes me cranky.. sounded a bit crass back there mate, I have the littlest of experience w/ dirtbikes so my statement doesn't hold water to those platforms, forgive the misinterpretation
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Koa For This Useful Post:
cameronjones239 (04-03-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 11:10 PM   #20
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Its just paper filter, but if you need to "clean" engine bay go ahead or for pure aesthetic.
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:32 AM   #21
Mishimoto

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Thanks for all of the comments and interest guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016 Camaro SS View Post
Grimmspeed Intake 2.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by celek View Post
Perrin V2 first pic and Grimspeed V2? is the orange thing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by x1UP View Post
I'm still supporting @GrimmSpeed on this one. They are revolutionaries!
I assure you that this product is not designed with an intention to copy or replicate any other offering on the market. As noted in our original post, we already offer an intake system with an externally located air filter. In order to provide an intake system for those who would prefer easier/quicker install and servicing, this intake setup will locate the filter within the engine bay in an enclosed box. As with any intake design, we will need appropriate airflow to the filter and using the factory ducting makes complete sense, which is why the filter/box location of nearly all aftermarket setups is similar.

Our intake setup will also be constructed in a similar manner to the systems we have been developing for the past few years. This includes a powder coated steel airbox or shroud, aluminum intake piping (or silicone pieces where applicable), an oiled and serviceable air filter, and the inclusion of an air straightener. An example would be our 08-14 WRX/STi system.

We put a great deal of effort into product design and we have no interest in copying or replicating any other products. In this case, we picked the best location for the airbox and we are following our normal product design and testing process. All product R&D is completed at our DE headquarters and we highlight nearly all projects within our engineering blog linked below (provides some insight into what is coming from Mishimoto).

http://engineering.mishimoto.com/

We will be posting up some additional R&D details soon with the full box design as well as initial testing results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutter View Post
Mishimoto doesn't really do headers/turbos...but I'm sure if they did they would kick ass!

With that said, they put in TONS of time, effort and testing in to ensure their products work the way they should!

I was quite impressed when they came to my work and explained their processes.

Also, Mishimoto is an AMERICAN company...
Thanks Shutter! We recently released a downpipe and cat-back exhaust system for the ’15 WRX. This is a new product line and has been quite an interesting endeavor. Although we do not currently offer a manifold/header, it could certainly be a product we explore at some point in the future. We are always interested in expanding our product line to better support enthusiasts needs.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esco View Post
Subscribed!
Thank you Esco!

Quote:
Glad to see there's another company looking into air straighteners on the intake. I have seen them used in the dirt bike world for years to help improve low end throttle response. I have been curious to see if a company will make something similar to FMF's Snap. http://www.fmfracing.com/Products/Accessories/632
Just a simple design that slots into the intake tube before the throttle body. I've heard they make a small noticeable difference but have not ridden a bike before and after to know for sure.
Quote:
Air straighteners on our MAF sensor and General design is necessary to provide accurate readings for the maf, not necessarily to provide more erm.. Throttle response
Thanks guys! The primary function of the air straightener is to provide laminar flow across the MAF sensor. This will ensure an accurate reading and provide stock-like driveability. If the stock intake system includes a specific feature such as this, we typically design such a component for our intake system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividracing View Post
I love the clean look of it. The stock air tube is so weird with all the ribs and such. The tube is a silicone type material I assume? And I wonder what the top of the box would look like. I know you guys are set on the square box shape but I think a round box would be different compared to all the others available like the Injen, and would have less disruption of the air around the filter because of the sharp corners of the box.

Keep going! Looking good!

-RyanG
Thanks for the kind words Ryan! The intake tube is going to be constructed from silicone in a similar fashion to the inlet tube we currently offer for the BRZ/FR-S. Our first prototype is more of a square design but a more rounded option is certainly something to consider. Thanks for the input!

Thanks guys!
-John
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mishimoto For This Useful Post:
Hyper4mance2k (05-12-2015)
Old 04-07-2015, 01:04 PM   #22
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Round or squared should depend on if it's possible to make needed volume for stock like behaviour airbox within available free space constraints and free space shape. If no limits from those, then probably round box might be closer to selected round air filter shape / overall leave more room under bonnet (after all, IIRC round shapes contain most area/volume within set size. But then again often available free space is shaped in way that extra volume can be gained only by going squared).
I probably also would think a lot on best snorkel position and shape. If it's one time install, then customers might be willing to take off bumper for initial install. If it's for each filter change - that might cut customer count.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 03:16 PM   #23
Mishimoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Round or squared should depend on if it's possible to make needed volume for stock like behaviour airbox within available free space constraints and free space shape. If no limits from those, then probably round box might be closer to selected round air filter shape / overall leave more room under bonnet (after all, IIRC round shapes contain most area/volume within set size. But then again often available free space is shaped in way that extra volume can be gained only by going squared).
I probably also would think a lot on best snorkel position and shape. If it's one time install, then customers might be willing to take off bumper for initial install. If it's for each filter change - that might cut customer count.
Thanks for chiming in Church! Very true regarding the filter servicing. Although it is relatively infrequent, some customers will have no interest in removing the bumper to clean the filter. We recognized this and decided to embark on the creation of our second intake option.

-John
Old 04-24-2015, 04:32 PM   #24
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
LOL @ the Grimmspeed references.

Sure its a nice looking and probably high quality intake

BUT LMAO @ 10RWHP without a tune and a even bigger to those who believe it.
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tennisfreak For This Useful Post:
JPxM0Dz (08-11-2015)
Old 04-24-2015, 04:44 PM   #25
Chad_W

Drives: 2013 BRZ DGM
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
After seeing all the flames, deserved or not for the PLM header, I'm pretty disappointed to see people attacking Mishimoto for "copying" here.

There are not to many variations in making an ideal intake of this style, and if they do their R&D (and they will) and if Grimspeed does their R&D (and they did), you're going to find fairly similar and effective products from both companies.

Mishimoto or any other company could merely copy what has already been successful, but they're going about things the right way and it's sad to see people attacking them for it. It's not as though Grimspeed or any other company is claiming that an under the hood boxed cone intake is a new idea.
Chad_W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Chad_W For This Useful Post:
aFe POWER (04-24-2015), D_Thissen (05-20-2015), emutcfut (07-15-2015), JohnJuan (04-25-2015), Joveen (07-24-2019), raven1231 (05-11-2015), ScionOfHorus (05-12-2015), Shourewaters (05-11-2015), Thunderleg (04-24-2015), zeal86 (04-24-2015)
Old 05-11-2015, 01:19 PM   #26
Mishimoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_W View Post
After seeing all the flames, deserved or not for the PLM header, I'm pretty disappointed to see people attacking Mishimoto for "copying" here.

There are not to many variations in making an ideal intake of this style, and if they do their R&D (and they will) and if Grimspeed does their R&D (and they did), you're going to find fairly similar and effective products from both companies.

Mishimoto or any other company could merely copy what has already been successful, but they're going about things the right way and it's sad to see people attacking them for it. It's not as though Grimspeed or any other company is claiming that an under the hood boxed cone intake is a new idea.
Thanks for the kind words Chad!

We should have an update on this project by the end of the week.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:33 PM   #27
2016 Camaro SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_W View Post

Because copying two designs from two different companies in a row is R&D, right?

At least when Google takes someone's product, they make it better.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2016 Camaro SS For This Useful Post:
blue cat (05-17-2015)
Old 05-11-2015, 01:39 PM   #28
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Anyone who thinks an CAI for this platform will create 10whp without a tune is smoking crack and any company claiming it is a liar.

So I give no kudos to Grimspeed and have no disdain for Mishimoto.

Its a freaking airbox for a tiny little engine. Hell the damn filter and box are in the same freaking place as stock. There is no new air intake and no new special sauce other than some nice looking housings and a cone filter.

How much air do you think a 2.0 liter 4 banger needs? If this engine was starved for air then maybe some of these aftermarket intakes would do some real meaningful hp gains. Thing is adding more air to an engine that already has plenty does not really do any good.
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote