follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 12-28-2021, 08:24 PM   #29
Midnightsky

Drives: 2022 BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
I'm the long torso kind, 6'4". Can barely fit into a gen1 car with a helmet on, having to slouch quite a bit.
Which is very very bad in the event of an accident.
Midnightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 08:36 PM   #30
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,297 Times in 718 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsky View Post
Which is very very bad in the event of an accident.
Exactly, hence my interest in lowering the seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Re_Invention View Post
I'm checking in with 949racing this week or next to try out the steering wheel spacer they use - I've had it on my NC Miata and 8v S3, works excellent in my opinion. The only caveat - your turn signal indicator and windshield wiper stalk won't be within finger distance anymore, but I find it charming. Either way, it clears up some space under your knees and prevents me from having to slide the seat as far forward, so my knees aren't as bunched up against the console/dash.
I tried their spacer, didn't help with the headroom at all, as the back of my helmet was hitting the reinforcement of the roof as soon as I leaned back slightly. It did make reaching the steering wheel easier though.
timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timurrrr For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (12-28-2021)
Old 12-29-2021, 01:26 PM   #31
Re_Invention

Drives: '22 Tacoma, '19 Macan, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Yeah Timurrr, for long torso folk it can have a bad effect if you're pushing the seat further back and hitting the slope with your head. But for the long legged tall folk, it's a great help.
Re_Invention is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Re_Invention For This Useful Post:
timurrrr (12-29-2021)
Old 12-29-2021, 01:55 PM   #32
timurrrr

btw I think the shape of the ceiling in the 2022 has been simplified, so that slope might be less of an issue.
Old 12-29-2021, 09:23 PM   #33
Scubadriver

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re_Invention View Post
I'm checking in with 949racing this week or next to try out the steering wheel spacer they use - I've had it on my NC Miata and 8v S3, works excellent in my opinion. The only caveat - your turn signal indicator and windshield wiper stalk won't be within finger distance anymore, but I find it charming.
You just made my day with this post. I searched and searched for something like this when I got my NC. I thought for sure it would be possible, but evidently 949 had not yet released it. Thanks!

I will buy for the BRZ too. I don't need 2in with the telescoping steering wheel all the way out, but I can slide it back in a bit if need be.

Very cool. NC part already ordered!

I would also take an inch lower seat on the BRZ. I have about an inch above my helmet, but I would like more. Blackbird or 949 can have more of my money if they make something.
Scubadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scubadriver For This Useful Post:
PBR (01-01-2022), Re_Invention (12-30-2021)
Old 12-30-2021, 03:01 PM   #34
BRZZZZZZZZZZ
Car Nut

Drives: BMW 335d, Toyota Echo RS, FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Lots of good comments. I’m a tall torso guy so that’s my issue. Haven’t ruled it out yet (mostly because with the car market these days I literally just don’t see anything good to buy) but will keep an eye out for updates and continue thrashing my 13 for now.
BRZZZZZZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 09:11 PM   #35
BigT

Drives: Previously evo x
So for taller guys, what about a seat replacement? I normally don't mess with that stuff do to all the safety things you can change but it seems for this car I will prob need a bucket being that I'm 6'2" and like to go racing so will need room for a helmet!
BigT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 09:31 PM   #36
mpg9999

Drives: 2022 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
So for taller guys, what about a seat replacement? I normally don't mess with that stuff do to all the safety things you can change but it seems for this car I will prob need a bucket being that I'm 6'2" and like to go racing so will need room for a helmet!
I'm 6'2, I brought a helmet along on my test drive to see how well I Fit. The helmet just touches the headliner. So yeah, it will depend on your specific anthropometry. You won't know without sitting in one to find out for yourself.
mpg9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mpg9999 For This Useful Post:
BRZZZZZZZZZZ (12-31-2021)
Old 01-01-2022, 12:13 AM   #37
timurrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
That's a possible solution (and a common one among existing 1st gen owners), but not without compromise.

For starters, you lose side airbags.
Well, ok, you might be lucky if you live in Europe, or willing to pay ~$6k to import these seats into the US:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riki View Post
Recaro Sportster CS has airbags.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmjunkie View Post
I don't think we can get those in North America. I would love a pair though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreline86 View Post
Yeah due to regulations on aftermarket safety equipment you'd have to import them. Essentially $6k for new seats.
Even then, it's an open question whether an airbag in a generic aftermarket seat will work correctly/effectively in a tight interior like ours in case of a side accident.

If you get a fixed-back bucket seat like most do, some would argue that it's unsafe to use them at the track without at least a half cage; and some orgs/techs might not let you out on track. There's probably 15 existing threads on this forum where people discuss whether it's safe or not.
Getting a proper half-cage will also cost you a few thousand dollars if you decide to do it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timurrrr For This Useful Post:
Midnightsky (01-01-2022), PBR (01-01-2022)
Old 01-01-2022, 03:41 AM   #38
Midnightsky

Drives: 2022 BRZ WRB
Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
That's a possible solution (and a common one among existing 1st gen owners), but not without compromise.

For starters, you lose side airbags.
Well, ok, you might be lucky if you live in Europe, or willing to pay ~$6k to import these seats into the US:

Even then, it's an open question whether an airbag in a generic aftermarket seat will work correctly/effectively in a tight interior like ours in case of a side accident.

If you get a fixed-back bucket seat like most do, some would argue that it's unsafe to use them at the track without at least a half cage; and some orgs/techs might not let you out on track. There's probably 15 existing threads on this forum where people discuss whether it's safe or not.
Getting a proper half-cage will also cost you a few thousand dollars if you decide to do it.
I guess some of us will have to drive practically laying down, like Formula 1 drivers lol.
Midnightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 04:45 AM   #39
alex87f
Meow

Drives: GT86, Volvo 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZZZZZZZZZZ View Post
I am interested in buying a 2022 BRZ base to replace both my 13 FRS and 09 335d but the seating position is terrible compared to my 13 FRS and previous 14 BRZ. I like to sit quite upright and close-ish to the wheel and find my head has zero room for a helmet (not even enough head room without a helmet) and my right knee hits the column plastic with it all the way up. I figure minimum an inch lower is what I need to consider the car, but I also am not sure what’s going to be involved wiring/warning light defeat wise to change seats and brackets. Also do we know yet eta for aftermarket seat/rail options or whether 1st Gen aftermarket parts are likely to fit?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
Yes, the 2nd gen is a bit better. I have to slouch a bit less with my helmet on.
Is it me or do we have two different takes on gen 1 vs. gen 2 headroom?

Isn't there a spring mod that can be done like on gen. 1s?

Otherwise, a cheaper way to get Recaro CSs is to look up gen. 3 FL Renault Clio RS used seats from Europe, as they could be fitted with optional Recaro CSs with airbags. However, I have no idea whether the airbag would connect to our wiring harness, whether it would actually help safety in the 86's interior, and whether the seat would bring any headroom improvement.
alex87f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 09:28 AM   #40
*Axel
Grey Man

Drives: 22 MT BRZ
I'm 6'4.5" (35" inseam) and I ordered the 22 BRZ in July and picked it up in late November. I took a gamble on whether the car would fit me or not and whether the prior performance issues would be corrected. That gamble paid off. It fits me ok, barely. The seat is slid back to it's limit and reclined to the point of leaning against the back seat platform. I could not wear a helmet in this or most other cars. The seating position is ok; it's comfortable; I'm used to it. I have to recline the seat in every car I get into.

A racing seat could mount directly to the floor and sit lower and be mounted back a bit. I don't particularly want to go that route.

I would not recommend the car to someone my size and risk being blamed if they decided to whine and moan about the fit, However, I would absolutely buy the car again and will likely keep this one a very long time.
*Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to *Axel For This Useful Post:
bcj (01-01-2022), Midnightsky (01-01-2022), PBR (01-01-2022), Ultramaroon (01-07-2022)
Old 01-01-2022, 11:11 AM   #41
Scubadriver

Returned home from the holidays and took a closer look at the seat. The back of the seat rail is held up off the floor by an approximately 1cm spacer. I pulled the bolt and it did not separate from the rail easily. It doesn't feel like metal so I can't expect it is too permanently attached. I will see if I can pull the seat this weekend and get them off. That's may be the 1/2in I was looking for.
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scubadriver For This Useful Post:
BRZZZZZZZZZZ (01-01-2022), Midnightsky (01-01-2022), timurrrr (01-01-2022)
Old 01-01-2022, 12:44 PM   #42
Scubadriver

I took a closer look at the spacer. They do appear to be welded in place but they could probably.be taken off with a bit of effort. That's the back.

The front could also be lowered a similar amount. The front section of the rail holds it about 1 cm off the hump in the floor. This front section could be replaced by a flat piece.

Hard to understand why the elevated the seat like this...
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scubadriver For This Useful Post:
BRZZZZZZZZZZ (01-01-2022), Ohio Enthusiast (01-03-2022)