follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 05-05-2023, 01:47 PM   #449
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Old 05-08-2023, 01:18 PM   #450
MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires

Drives: what
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tesla Again Paints A Crash Data Story That Misleads Many Readers
MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 10:58 PM   #451
Irace86.2.0

It would be nice if Tesla released more detailed data, but I doubt they will when they can take advantage of the media that is all too eager to create a blown up headline from the data Tesla posts. Tesla and Musk don't really make the types of claims the media makes when the media "analyzes" the data and posts something claiming the cars are 8x safer or something. At least I don't think so.

Tesla does state on their page that crash data includes crashes that happen up to five seconds after Autopilot is disengaged, which is actually a long time in crash terms. If Autopilot was the cause of a swerve that stopped Autopilot, but the car continued to swerve for five seconds before coming to a crash, well, that would be quite the swerve. I'd imagine that there are actually many crashes that are probably included in the mix that are not the fault of autonomous systems, but are actually the fault of the driver. This shows Tesla is somewhat transparent and erroring on a conservative projection, even if they aren't teasing out the details of these numbers.

Regardless, I'm inclined to at least say that these systems aren't more dangerous. If that was the case then the numbers would be reversed and then some. Also, the government would be far more up Tesla's ass if there was a legitimate problem. The consumer protection agency issued recalls on IKEA dressers when a handful of toddlers climbed up the pulled out drawers, and the dresser fell on top of them and killed them (1). Sad, but none of the dressers had been secured to the wall. Just saying, if they did that then why not Tesla?
Old 05-11-2023, 11:11 AM   #452
MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
It would be nice if Tesla released more detailed data, but I doubt they will when they can take advantage of the media that is all too eager to create a blown up headline from the data Tesla posts. Tesla and Musk don't really make the types of claims the media makes when the media "analyzes" the data and posts something claiming the cars are 8x safer or something. At least I don't think so.

lmao you're delusional if you think "the media" is somehow unfair to tesla.

Quote:
Regardless, I'm inclined to at least say that these systems aren't more dangerous. If that was the case then the numbers would be reversed and then some. Also, the government would be far more up Tesla's ass if there was a legitimate problem. The consumer protection agency issued recalls on IKEA dressers when a handful of toddlers climbed up the pulled out drawers, and the dresser fell on top of them and killed them (1). Sad, but none of the dressers had been secured to the wall. Just saying, if they did that then why not Tesla?

handwaving that would impress E honda
Old 05-11-2023, 03:24 PM   #453
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires View Post
lmao you're delusional if you think "the media" is somehow unfair to tesla.

handwaving that would impress E honda
Well, there is a lot of sensationalizing insignificant stories like ask yourself how many times you have seen a story about a Tesla catching on fire during a crash or something similar when there are far, far, far more ICE cars on the road and far more of them catching on fire because of crashes or spontaneously because of fuel/oil leaking onto headers and such things. Every crash of a Tesla is observed through this magnifying glass like it must have been the fault of the EV or of the autonomous systems or something. Top Gear wrote a script about the Tesla Roadster breaking down and running out of energy before the car even got into their hands. They didn't objectively review the car. Top Gear did the same thing with the Porsche Taycan vs Model S. This isn't surprising when you see who owns media and who is buying advertising time because one of the biggest buyers is legacy automakers, but Tesla doesn't advertise.

Why Do The NYTimes & Other Large Media Outlets Get Tesla & EVs So Wrong?
https://cleantechnica.com/2019/06/27...-evs-so-wrong/

Elon Musk considers Tesla ads to counter media bias
https://electrek.co/2022/06/22/elon-...er-media-bias/

https://www.tesla.com/blog/tesla-vs-...s%20a%20result.

Old 05-11-2023, 09:24 PM   #454
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Every crash of a Tesla is observed through this magnifying glass like it must have been the fault of the EV or of the autonomous systems or something.
Lots of things get this treatment on a slow news day. You see it all the time with airplanes. I was at a small airport in Florida that just happened to be right off the Interstate so the runways for visible to traffic.

A Cessna 182 had landed, done it's runout and had turned to go off the runway. It hit something and punctured a tire. A news crew happened to be driving by, saw it and stopped. They recorded some footage, talked to the pilot, and that night reported on the "disaster averted" story. They guy literally had just had a flat tire.

They aren't obviously all that insignificant, but if it involves something vehicularly unusual they are going to cover it.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (05-11-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 09:51 PM   #455
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Lots of things get this treatment on a slow news day. You see it all the time with airplanes. I was at a small airport in Florida that just happened to be right off the Interstate so the runways for visible to traffic.

A Cessna 182 had landed, done it's runout and had turned to go off the runway. It hit something and punctured a tire. A news crew happened to be driving by, saw it and stopped. They recorded some footage, talked to the pilot, and that night reported on the "disaster averted" story. They guy literally had just had a flat tire.

They aren't obviously all that insignificant, but if it involves something vehicularly unusual they are going to cover it.
does that create a ton of red tape for the pilot to get news coverage like that?
i assume the FAA starts digging into 'incidents' like that with some extreme scrutiny.
Old 05-12-2023, 10:41 AM   #456
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
does that create a ton of red tape for the pilot to get news coverage like that?
i assume the FAA starts digging into 'incidents' like that with some extreme scrutiny.
Nah, not normally. It's not a reportable event for the FAA since there was no damage, and no injury or loss of life.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (05-12-2023)
Old 05-12-2023, 04:25 PM   #457
Irace86.2.0

Tesla is building a lithium refining factory that will be greater than all other lithium refining facilities in the US combined with an initial goal of a million cars-per-year capacity with the ability for expansion. The technical discussion starts a little more than half way through after the hand shaking. Sounds like they will be innovating the refining process to reduce the environment impact to make it as clean and efficient and cheap as possible. The refining factory will also be recycling used batteries.

Dadhawk (05-12-2023)
Old 05-17-2023, 01:35 PM   #458
MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post

this is a good point and to be very fair, most of these types of incidents garner a news report but almost no real journalistic scrutiny. elong nutswingers aren't smart enough to distinguish the two.

Last edited by MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires; 05-18-2023 at 05:06 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (05-17-2023)
Old 05-26-2023, 04:40 PM   #459
Irace86.2.0

Tesla, Ford announce partnership on Superchargers

https://thehill.com/policy/technolog...superchargers/

Even though Tesla has made the Magic Dock and is rolling out and retrofitting these plugs to more of its supercharger stations, and even though they are making longer cords to fit non-Tesla vehicles, Ford is going to be using Tesla plugs on their vehicles moving forward in order to take advantage of the whole supercharger network and to have a seamless charging experience.
Old 05-27-2023, 08:27 AM   #460
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Tesla truck reminds me of an APC.
Attached Images

5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (05-28-2023), Irace86.2.0 (05-27-2023)
Old 05-27-2023, 11:31 AM   #461
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
Tesla truck reminds me of an APC.
Hey, it's a spy shot of the 2025 Silverado!
wbradley (05-27-2023)
Old 05-27-2023, 11:45 AM   #462
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
.https://www.foxnews.com/us/arizona-m...ngulfed-flames

Yrs ago, ford thunderbirds would burn to the ground occasionally. My understanding is that the fuel pumps weren't shutting off when the key was turned off. Just a slightly less violent and fast burn down than an ev fire.
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
knowitallsavingtheworld, longwindedcocksuckers