follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 01-12-2022, 11:42 AM   #15
mazeroni

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I just installed the "2022" Slambert Performance Twin Hitch. However, it still fits the GEN I. All the 2022 changes is that you get 6 washers to space out the hitch from the Gen II bumper. The bolt design does not change. So I am currently using it on my FRS without the washers. When I upgrade, I'll add them.

And...

Swagman XC2 Rack Hitch

Both work great and were easy to install. Total cost for both was around $550 with tax.

Yes, it looks a little silly on such a small car. But you can take it all off in about 5~10 minutes.

The hitch is rated for 100 pounds with a rack. The rack is about 30 pounds. A mountain bike is about 30~35. But we'll see how it holds up long term. I haven't heard anyone else complain though.
mazeroni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mazeroni For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (01-12-2022)
Old 01-12-2022, 11:50 AM   #16
dragoontwo

Drives: 22 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazeroni View Post
I just installed the "2022" Slambert Performance Twin Hitch. However, it still fits the GEN I. All the 2022 changes is that you get 6 washers to space out the hitch from the Gen II bumper. The bolt design does not change. So I am currently using it on my FRS without the washers. When I upgrade, I'll add them.

And...

Swagman XC2 Rack Hitch

Both work great and were easy to install. Total cost for both was around $550 with tax.

Yes, it looks a little silly on such a small car. But you can take it all off in about 5~10 minutes.

The hitch is rated for 100 pounds with a rack. The rack is about 30 pounds. A mountain bike is about 30~35. But we'll see how it holds up long term. I haven't heard anyone else complain though.
I moved a large frame full suspension mtn bike from Arkansas to Clarksville on I-40 on the Slambert with a 1up rack with no issues. The hitch is surprisingly rugged.
dragoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dragoontwo For This Useful Post:
mazeroni (01-12-2022)
Old 01-12-2022, 01:09 PM   #17
fredzy
Mebmer

Drives: Sienna, GR86, FL5
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazeroni View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoontwo View Post
I moved a large frame full suspension mtn bike from Arkansas to Clarksville on I-40 on the Slambert with a 1up rack with no issues. The hitch is surprisingly rugged.
How easy is it to pop those knock-outs in and out of the bumper? Might seem like a stupid question, but many that I've dealt with in the past were a challenge to get out without doing some damage. If I went with this hitch (seriously considering) I would 100% only ever leave it installed when I was using it, so those caps could see a lot of poppin'
fredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 01:34 PM   #18
mazeroni

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredzy View Post
How easy is it to pop those knock-outs in and out of the bumper? Might seem like a stupid question, but many that I've dealt with in the past were a challenge to get out without doing some damage. If I went with this hitch (seriously considering) I would 100% only ever leave it installed when I was using it, so those caps could see a lot of poppin'
Quote:
How easy is it to pop those knock-outs in and out of the bumper?
Literally not hard at all. *I'm talking about GEN I. Not sure how GEN II works, but I assume just as easy. Just use a butter knife and slide it into that little gap at the bottom and they come right off. The sort of tricky part is that rubber strap. You will need to turn the strap so those fingers will slide out of the little loop that is meant to keep you from loosing the plastic piece. You may need to use the knife to help get them out without ripping them. Or, in your situation, you can leave them hanging if you wanted, but I would worry that the rubber might rip.

Also, keep the plastic covers in a safe place where you can find them again.

If you need more guidance, Slambert made an instructional video.

The only thing I didn't do is use a torque wrench. Don't have one. I just tightened until it no longer wiggled.
mazeroni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mazeroni For This Useful Post:
Aroundomaha (04-16-2022), fredzy (01-12-2022), soundman98 (01-12-2022), The Red One (01-22-2022)
Old 01-12-2022, 02:16 PM   #19
dragoontwo

Drives: 22 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
They are easy to pop out.
dragoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dragoontwo For This Useful Post:
fredzy (01-12-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 05:23 PM   #20
dsc_pat

Drives: Too fast
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I can do the install on a 1st gen in a couple of minutes. I tried to do it tonight on the 2nd gen and could not figure some things out.

Wheel well pin and underbody pins are identical to the 1st gen. Where I have a problem is that the taillights bolt on from the exterior; they cannot be removed from the interior like 1st gens. Taillights bolts should be accessible once the bumper cover is removed...removing the taillights was required for rear bumper cover removal in 1st gens.

Hence my ask for help...does anyone know how to remove the rear bumper cover yet ? I could not figure it out as it was super strongly held still with everything removed. I did not dare to pull hard as the car is brand new and it feels like I am missing bolts.

Will gladly test fit the hitch as soon as we figure out how to remove the cover. Feel free to help me find a way !
dsc_pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 12:05 PM   #21
fredzy
Mebmer

Did you pop up any of the interior carpet to see if there was something holding from inside? I’d guess so considering you already confirmed tail lights don’t bolt from in there. Can’t imagine there would be anything holding bumper from inside.

If you got all the clips you could see, probably just needs a good tug. Usually sort of rotates outward from the bottom first, just have to be careful the bumper plastic and tail lights don’t pinch each other.
Old 01-29-2022, 11:48 AM   #22
dsc_pat

Hitch is installed. The drawtite one.

It needs a couple adjustement and cuts, do not do it yourself if you are not comfortable cutting and fitting. My instructions are not clear alone, but once you try to install it, you will understand.

1. You have to hammer the connector bracket otherwise the hitch will not seat.

2. You have to cut half of the little plastic triangle on top of the bumper-to-frame big plastic bracket, otherwise hitch will not seat.

3. You have to cut an opening on the bumper + aluminum sheet so the hitch will fit under the bumper cover, otherwise it sits on the hitch receiver and you will not be able to install it. THis kind of cut was also required on 2017+ as the diffuser went a bit lower than earlier models.

If you can cut plastic, hammer stuff and force a bumper off and on, I consider the install easy. If you can't stand cutting anything on your new car, find another solution.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dsc_pat For This Useful Post:
fredzy (03-07-2022), Monroetwin (02-20-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 06:17 PM   #23
pip baggins

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
DSC Pat.
I purchased the same hitch as you.

You had mentioned in your earlier post you were having trouble getting the rear bumper off. Could you share the procedure for removing the rear bumper ?

Thanks very much.
pip baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 08:03 AM   #24
fredzy
Mebmer

Nice, and pro tip for any time someone cuts or bends parts of a hitch (basically damage the paint in any way) get a few good coats of paint on there to seal it back up before buttoning up the car. I did some custom hitch fitting like this in past, gave a quick spurt of primer to seal cuts. Every square inch of paint was rusted off in a couple years - wasn't good enough.
Old 03-07-2022, 04:32 PM   #25
dsc_pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip baggins View Post
DSC Pat.
I purchased the same hitch as you.

You had mentioned in your earlier post you were having trouble getting the rear bumper off. Could you share the procedure for removing the rear bumper ?

Thanks very much.
Focus on removing the taillights first. Remove all bolts surrounding themn, and pull towards the back (yourself). Then is it the same as 1st gen (search for a great DIY on this forum, with pictures). Basically, many pins and then pull hard. Good luck !
Old 03-07-2022, 04:34 PM   #26
dsc_pat

Quote:
Nice, and pro tip for any time someone cuts or bends parts of a hitch (basically damage the paint in any way) get a few good coats of paint on there to seal it back up before buttoning up the car. I did some custom hitch fitting like this in past, gave a quick spurt of primer to seal cuts. Every square inch of paint was rusted off in a couple years - wasn't good enough.
I think a hitch should never be cut or bent in anyway for safety. Everything that needs to be done here is on the car and isn't structural. The hitch was left untouched.
Old 03-07-2022, 11:15 PM   #27
pip baggins

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thank you DSC Pat.
Much appreciated.
pip baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pip baggins For This Useful Post:
dsc_pat (03-08-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 11:48 PM   #28
fredzy
Mebmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc_pat View Post
I think a hitch should never be cut or bent in anyway for safety. Everything that needs to be done here is on the car and isn't structural. The hitch was left untouched.
Ah OK, I thought the connector bracket you mentioned was something on the hitch. Totally agree though.

I used a hitch intended for Impreza on my WRX in the early days, had to make a few small non-structural tweaks but wasn't worried as I'd never pull a trailer. Aside from the eventual rust, the exhaust rattle that would occur once very hot (when doing beyond spirited driving) made me wish I just used my trunk to move my bikes that first year until a hitch specific to the car came out

On a similar note, I really like the idea of the slambert hitch now that I understand it, and considering how I'd use it (again only for bikes.) But I'm hoping he makes one specific to the '22s with longer mounting bolts instead of using washers as spacers.
The Following User Says Thank You to fredzy For This Useful Post:
dsc_pat (03-08-2022)