follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-30-2019, 11:30 AM   #169
jc7993

Drives: Looking to buy
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have an appointment in October for this recall work and I am looking to have them replace the spark plugs and tob. I was also looking to upgrade the engine mount with the Perrin set since it is easily accessible. Does anybody know if this is worth it? Any other work I should think about doing for the car while they have it?

2013 Subaru BRZ Limited @ 41k miles. Recently had the oil changed, trans fluid changed, brake fluid flushed and changed.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
jc7993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:04 PM   #170
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc7993 View Post
I have an appointment in October for this recall work and I am looking to have them replace the spark plugs and tob. I was also looking to upgrade the engine mount with the Perrin set since it is easily accessible. Does anybody know if this is worth it? Any other work I should think about doing for the car while they have it?

2013 Subaru BRZ Limited @ 41k miles. Recently had the oil changed, trans fluid changed, brake fluid flushed and changed.

I'll ask. Why would you consider changing the engine mounts? Are the OEM ones broken?

Replacing the plugs and TOB sounds like a good plan.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:33 PM   #171
jc7993

Drives: Looking to buy
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
I'll ask. Why would you consider changing the engine mounts? Are the OEM ones broken?

Replacing the plugs and TOB sounds like a good plan.

humfrz
Reason being is that I saw someone's post saying that the upgrades mount will help the drivetrain feel of the car, getting rid of the slight disconnect feel.

Or would you feel that the mounts wouldnt provide much benefit?

jc7993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:40 PM   #172
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Reason being is that I saw someone's post saying that the upgrades mount will help the drivetrain feel of the car, getting rid of the slight disconnect feel.

The Perrin motor mounts will add more vibration at near idle rpms, but they will not really feel any different everywhere else in the rpm range while actually improving ride quality over the stock rubber mounts. Feels a lot more solid after chassis impacts, where the motor feels floppy on the stock mounts - adding additional movement to the chassis after the initial impact. Plus much easier to remove the motor with the Perrin mounts as uses bolt instead of stud, so its immediately free from the subframe after removing the two mounting bolt - no finagling to clear the studs needed.

Highly recommend shielding the bushings in the mounts though as they are right by the headers and more than a few cases of them having melted. Header wrap and aluminum tape works fine to make a heat shield for them - how I did mine: https://photos.smugmug.com/Cars/Stil...CAE-Perrin.jpg

2 layers of header wrap is all that's needed.

The main reason I initially installed the Perrin motor mounts was for the CAE Ultra shifter... since it really needs a less movement from the drivetrain than stock shifter to properly, reliably function. The side benefit of better ride quality was much unexpected but very appreciated. Like slightly worn out factory damper verses a new, sport tuned damper... noticeable increase in stiffness, but still better ride quality. One of the 3 basic, non-suspension things I'd recommend for better ride quality - the other two being strut tower brace (like Grimspeed) and solid Delrin/Aluminum steering rack bushings.

When had the valve spring recall work done on mine, I had them do spark plugs and install a Stage 1 Exedy clutch kit as well. Definitely the best time to do any clutch job or spark plug/coilpack replacement. Was going to have them do full coilpack replacement with the newer coil packs (P/N 22433AA652) as well but they wanted way too much for that. Bought the coil packs for $20 less EACH from Subaru and have yet to install them, but I have the full set and will let the new owner install them whenever I sell my FR-S, still running fine on original coilpacks.

Between 1-2k miles since the work was done and my FR-S is better than it ever has been - finally oil seep free from the valve covers for the first time EVER. Had seepage and faint burning oil smell from day one of ownership, but I wasn't going to have dealership touch car for minor issue like that. And the undertray would get grimy... undertray has stayed clean, gunk free ever since the recall work was done.

Last edited by Vracer111; 07-30-2019 at 11:52 PM.
Vracer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vracer111 For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (08-09-2019)
Old 07-31-2019, 12:10 AM   #173
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

I'll defer to ol @Vracer111 up above there.

Personally, I wouldn't spend $400 on new engine mounts unless the old ones were broken -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-31-2019)