follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My Initial (all stock) BRZedit tune

Greetings,

I've already posted this in my build thread but I know several people are looking for updates on this new software and I'm sure there are a few out there who are woundering if it's even possible to tune withhout EcuTek

Anyway. It has been several years since i was on a dyno and I must admit i got very spoiled when i used to get free time on my friends dynodynamics. I went in with several things i wanted to try, from cam timing changes to GDI ratio changes. My initial ideas on the bottom end and early midrange cam timing were good, but what i thought it would like up top it did not.

I ran out of time before I got the Cam timing sorted from 5,000 and up and ended up with stock values from about 5000 and up and you can see it in the graph.. the gains pull down to a lower level. My original plan was to sweep the cams to full advance then full retard individualy but between issues with my laptop and the dyno clock ticking away.

I know there is some more left just in the cam timing and the timing changes that the cam timing will allow.

Base Line was the factory map with IAM set to 1.0 (full advance without have to do any knock correction learning) on 93 octane.

Anyway.. this was the best taming of the dip:

This is what I left on:

I have since blended back in the cam timing that gave the best results in the dip and just after. Debating on if I am going to go back to finish the cam timing on the stock setup, or finish the stock tune via road tune data logs and go back after i free up the exhaust and intake. I have a feeling I am going to be dumping some coin on the Nameless Longtube Equal length header as soon as it is finished.

BTW, the AFR's were measured AFTER both stock cats at the tail pipe. Factory Wideband was reading 13.2 a little on the lean side but still happy. Also, each run was started at an oil temp of 81*c. All Runs were 3rd gear.

Last edited by mad_sb; 02-15-2013 at 11:10 AM.
mad_sb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mad_sb For This Useful Post:
evox2frs (02-16-2013), Foobar (02-16-2013), illmatic (02-15-2013)
Old 02-15-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
jeebus

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT (on order)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Wow, excellent job with that torque dip. You shortened it by like 500RPM or more! Any issues having IAM set to 1? Surprised you were that ballsy.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:23 PM   #3
mad_sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebus View Post
Wow, excellent job with that torque dip. You shortened it by like 500RPM or more! Any issues having IAM set to 1? Surprised you were that ballsy.
Nahh, 93 octane it will eventually get to full advance any way. This is very much a subaru ecu and I've tuned a few of those in the past, though admittedly a LOT more mitsubish's
Old 02-16-2013, 10:35 AM   #4
evox2frs

Drives: Asphalt MT FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_sb View Post
This is very much a subaru ecu and I've tuned a few of those in the past, though admittedly a LOT more mitsubish's
You tuned my Evo VIII perfectly and I beat it daily for 2 years after that with zero issues. Keep up the good work man, can't wait to see what you do with your FR-S, and maybe mine too
evox2frs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Awesome work! Glad you are local as I'd love to learn more about self-tuning sometime, although it admittedly makes me a little nervous doing it on such a new car. Right now I want to learn more about all tuning options and wait a while to decide on which direction I want to go.

So how did you learn how to self-tune and what are your previous experiences with it?
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #6
mad_sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
Awesome work! Glad you are local as I'd love to learn more about self-tuning sometime, although it admittedly makes me a little nervous doing it on such a new car. Right now I want to learn more about all tuning options and wait a while to decide on which direction I want to go.

So how did you learn how to self-tune and what are your previous experiences with it?
I wasn't happy with the options available here for my evo VIII from a pro tuning standpoint so i learned to tune on my own. Then I met the owner of dyno4mance and we started working together as he saw i knew what i was doing with stock ecu on the VIII. I started tuning for him. Eventually you get more and more people wanting you to tune other platforms and EMS's. Over the years i tuned between 100 and 200 cars.. mostly evos but also some e30's, some turbo miata'a, subbies of course, lots of other one offs etc. I've worked with lots of EMS from AEM to megasquirt, to piggybacks to hybrid setups, etc etc.

Tuning isn't hard its really a matter of understanding what the various maps are for and that stumps everyone from time to time, especially on a new platform like this, which is admittedly a bit complicated with the hybrid fueling setup. In the end you just fill the cylinder the best you can, give it the right amount of fuel, and light it off at the right time and your done.

Now the business of being a pro tuner... that is another story.

Last edited by mad_sb; 02-16-2013 at 12:21 PM.
mad_sb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:20 PM   #7
mad_sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by evox2frs View Post
You tuned my Evo VIII perfectly and I beat it daily for 2 years after that with zero issues. Keep up the good work man, can't wait to see what you do with your FR-S, and maybe mine too
I'm glad you liked it man. Consistency was always my target more so than peak numbers....

If only Dyno4mance was still around... My tune would have been finished and making great power in one long afternoon.