follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-10-2015, 04:07 PM   #57
Pug_BRZ

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
If you look on the second link, you will see a clear shot showing the separation of the b-pillar from the roof. It is possible (without looking at the car personally) that the driver was wearing his seatbelt. The upper mounting point for the drivers belt is no longer in place, and could be the cause of his ejection.

That or a James-Bond style ejector seat. But I'm thinking the former rather than the latter.

But unless you are SAPD, it's all speculation. Condolences to his family and friends, regardless of the circumstances of his death.
Pug_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:54 AM   #58
teamturbo

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'll never forget the video that has since been taken down on youtube. 2 cars driving down a multi lane highway. BMW full of young boys pulls up to their friends who are filming them. Guys in the BMW are laughing, have their windows rolled down, and you can clearly see the passengers both in the front and rear seats of the car. Some words are exchanged to the car filming, they down shift, and take off. Around 100 mph while shifting lanes to pass traffic, the rear slips out for whatever reason. The BMW slides out and impacts a tree and explodes immediately. You feel a chill when the friends filming shout in terror. Literally 30s prior, they were side by side on the freeway and life was all fun and giggles. Young boys and cars can be a deadly concoction.
teamturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:44 PM   #59
Frs x3
Likes it in the rear

Drives: RS 1.0
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I live about 5 miles from where this accident took place and let me tell you there's at least 2 accidents a day right there and very frequently there's a very bad accident like this one. I was actually driving by last night and there's a cross and flowers where the incident occurred. You can still see the glass and some debris on the concrete.

When I saw it on the news and realized it was an frs it gave me chills. What a tragic way to go.
Frs x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 02:02 PM   #60
Caspeed

Drives: FRS-RS1, Triumph Speed Triple, Lola
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.
Caspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 02:35 PM   #61
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,516 Times in 18,918 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tromatic View Post
No belt. Sort of a Bad Conduct Discharge then?
Tromatic brain injury
Old 01-11-2015, 02:36 PM   #62
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
Fatal car crash, brought to you by Ashley Furniture!

Back on topic, I think he would have more of a chance of surviving had he been securely bolted in among all those airbags, even if the back of the car was gone.

You can't assume that. He might have been well on his way to a terrible life that would have sucked.
The driver of the FRS is clearly the one who survived.
The driver of the Ummm....... whatever that was clearly would not have made it even if they stayed in the car.

On a Lighter note, look for a perfectly good FRS engine and trans for sale in a texas salvage yard.
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 02:54 PM   #63
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stugray View Post
The driver of the FRS is clearly the one who survived.
The driver of the Ummm....... whatever that was clearly would not have made it even if they stayed in the car.
The "whatever that was" was the FR-S, which was torn in half when it hit a telephone pole. There's only one car shown in that video. It's confusing because there's a shot of it from behind, where you can't tell what it is, then a side shot of the same car where you can see that it's an FR-S with the back half ripped off.

The two cars collided, which apparently didn't cause a whole lot of damage. But then the FR-S hit the telephone pole, which cut it in half. That's when the guy was ejected.

The other driver drove away. You don't see his car in the video.

Now we can debate whether the FR-S driver would have survived inside that, but he had a better chance of surviving while strapped into that seat than after flying through the air and impacting the ground or other solid, immovable object with his own body.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:08 PM   #64
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,516 Times in 18,918 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Exactly, on a related note I engage in some legal but elevated risk activities such as flying, aerobatics, etc.

I have left specific instructions with my family that should I die by auguring a plane into the ground they are at no time to say "Well, at least he died doing something he loved" because I can guarantee them with an level of certainty that there was absolutely nothing I was enjoying about that last act!
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are no old, bold pilots.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:14 PM   #65
PhantomX
INTJ

Drives: 2017 86 860
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Well you certainly get the point I was trying to make!

If somebody crashed during one of the events you described and there was any way that it could have been perceived that I was involved in racing I would stop for sure. Not so much out of concern for the other driver but to be able to present my version of what happened right up front. In this case the statement they were "believed" (thanks @Foobar I missed that one word before) was already made and since the other dude ran he could not repute it and it implies guilt (which there probably is but where is the evidence).

I know I seem to always dispute such things on here but that is just because I have spent almost 3 decades investigating incidents and learned a long time ago that first appearances, assumptions, perceptions and the whole "well the result was this so that had to be the cause" mentality is very rarely correct. Show me some evidence beyond one guy that would have seen then for 5 or 10 seconds saying "well yep sure done did look like racen' to me".
Again (for the guys that are going to say "they were racing" I suspect they were racing but with the info availableI don't know it!
You're right. Racing will almost always be blamed. When I was young and stupid, I did some ridiculous speeding that resulted into a roll over. Although my car was the only one around, "witnesses" claimed I was racing and tried to blame my friends in the other cars that showed up 5-10 minutes later. I've learned my lesson from that stupidity since then and I'm very thankful to have survived. But, recklessness and racing doesn't necessarily come hand in hand.
PhantomX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:28 PM   #66
Touge_ninja
Sending rods to their doo

Drives: 700HP STi
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
What a dumbass. You reap what you sow. this is Darwinism at its finest.
Touge_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:33 PM   #67
Struckbylitenin

Drives: 10 Series FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marx View Post
Jeebus.

dibs .
Struckbylitenin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Struckbylitenin For This Useful Post:
fstlane (01-11-2015), themadscientist (01-11-2015)
Old 01-11-2015, 03:50 PM   #68
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspeed View Post
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.
Few people have learned in the 100 years since the car has been around in any numbers!
This shit has happened everywhere, all the time ever since there were two cars on the road at the same time.
The big difference now is people are more aware of it (thanks a lot F&F) and the cars are much more powerful at an earlier entry level.
On the plus side newer cars have a passenger crash survivability rate that surpasses the older ones by many, many times.
There was a day when a 20mph crash would likely be fatal and even as far as into the early 80s a 50mph crash would be more likely to be deadly then now.
Soooo the moral of the story is ... there has always been and there will always be, dumbasses ripping around the streets and sometimes they will die horrifically!
Caspeed (01-11-2015), Ultramaroon (01-11-2015)
Old 01-11-2015, 04:06 PM   #69
themadscientist
Hotlink Terrorist

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ Spec S
Thanked 2,624 Times in 1,196 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
http://www.newser.com/story/114212/a...-accident.html
themadscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 04:09 PM   #70
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by themadscientist View Post
Wow racing with only 2HP! Do I see a FRS vs Amish Buggy thread in the future?
fstlane (01-11-2015)