follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List
69gtojeff, CT86, gravitylover

Old 08-29-2020, 03:58 PM   #407
the new guy

Drives: 2014 Asphalt FR-S/2018 Thunder GT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
I'm not sure how to go about finding the engine I need. I figure I have a few weeks to figure it out because the insurance is paid through to November anyway so I have a little bit of time. I'm not against the idea of buying a complete car that's wrecked and pulling the motor myself, even though I've never done anything like that, if I can find one cheap enough. Then I can send the remaining hulk off to a recycler and make a few bucks off parting it out too. It's all going to be a learning experience. The other option is selling it off cheap and just getting out of it and moving on which would be the least financially painful, there are some folks in the area that want it for a track car build.
Search for an engine on car-part.com

You’ll want to find:
An engine from the same model year/transmission
An engine with no cracks, tested, warranty, and ideally provides a core refund plus the cost of picking up the core included.

When my 2014 started knocking (non recall related) I paid about $2500 for the motor and another $2000 having a local performance shop do the engine swap.
the new guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the new guy For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (08-31-2020)
Old 09-19-2020, 09:56 PM   #408
jiffyjhn

Drives: White FR-S kosei k4r 17x8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Vehicle Mileage:25000 miles
Vehicle Make:scion FRS
Mileage After Recall Performed: 0
Symptom(s): car won't start, shaking/rattle when trying to crank it, then dies.
Failure:
State: CA
Is Dealership Offering Repair: car still hasn't left dealership, techs don't know what's the issue

I just took my ‘13 frs(25000 miles) to Fremont Toyota in california to perform the recall. It’s been 3 weeks and they cannot start the car after the recall work. I went to the dealership today to check it out. When trying to star the car it cranks it sounds very rough and shakes violently and then dies.

They first thought it was the oft stage 2 e85 tune I’m running on the car but after I reflashed the tune and the car with my oft and issue still exists. Also checked with my OFT tablet, and there are no error codes(not sure if the dealership have cleared them before I came in). Now they admit it’s not issue with the tune. They said they’ll check a few things and let me know in a few days. Does this sound like the common post-recall issue ppl on this thread are having?

update:
Called the dealership today.
They said they found the issue it was something about high pressure fuel pump not being connected properly during re-assembly of the engine and that they corrected it and the car is running properly now.
I am going to pick up the car later today.

I asked them about warranty on the engine in case something goes wrong after the recall it will be covered. he said on the phone that if any issues arise within 12 months I can bring it back. but they will not give any document in writing for the warranty.

Now I am debating whether to sell it and get something else as daily driver. Will the wrongly connected fuel pump during the service and numerous rough starts have damage/have negative effects on the engine in the long term? when I was at the dealership trying to start the car with the fuel pump issue it was rattling quite violently so I'm concerned about the long term heath of the engine.

Last edited by jiffyjhn; 09-25-2020 at 02:13 PM.
jiffyjhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:45 PM   #409
SockMonkey

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Vehicle Mileage: 63,700
Vehicle Make: Subaru
Mileage After Recall Performed: 12,000
Symptom(s): Loud engine knocking coming off the highway
Failure: rod bearing failure
State: Maine
Is Dealership Offering Repair: Dealer did engine tear down and verified rod bearing failure. They said they found no evidence, such as excess sealant, that the recall work caused the failure. BUT the service advisor I worked with really went to bat for me with subaru. Because I had good service records, my brand loyalty, maybe a bit of sympathy, etc. Subaru offered to cover all costs of repair for a one time deductible of $500.
SockMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SockMonkey For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (12-01-2020), Ganthrithor (01-13-2021)
Old 12-01-2020, 08:08 PM   #410
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockMonkey View Post
Vehicle Mileage: 63,700
Mileage After Recall Performed: 12,000
Symptom(s): Loud engine knocking coming off the highway
Failure: rod bearing failure
State: Maine
Is Dealership Offering Repair: Dealer did engine tear down and verified rod bearing failure. They said they found no evidence, such as excess sealant, that the recall work caused the failure. BUT the service advisor I worked with really went to bat for me with subaru. Because I had good service records, my brand loyalty, maybe a bit of sympathy, etc. Subaru offered to cover all costs of repair for a one time deductible of $500.

Glad to hear that they ended up being reasonable.
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:33 PM   #411
SockMonkey

Yeah, I'm incredibly happy with this offer. Before the tear down I authorized a max of $800 for diag. Knowing that if they found insufficient evidence that the recall caused it, I would be out a max of $800. Then I'd still have to figure out how to pay to fix the car (I'd do the work myself, but I don't have $4k sitting around for a motor and parts..). Then to get a call saying basically my worst case scenario, my heart dropped. So to say that I'm absolutely ecstatic that even being 3 year, 3,700 out of warranty that Subaru if doing this for me, is an understatement.
The Following User Says Thank You to SockMonkey For This Useful Post:
TommyW (12-01-2020)
Old 12-01-2020, 09:53 PM   #412
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah, I'm incredibly happy with this offer. Before the tear down I authorized a max of $800 for diag. Knowing that if they found insufficient evidence that the recall caused it, I would be out a max of $800. Then I'd still have to figure out how to pay to fix the car (I'd do the work myself, but I don't have $4k sitting around for a motor and parts..). Then to get a call saying basically my worst case scenario, my heart dropped. So to say that I'm absolutely ecstatic that even being 3 year, 3,700 out of warranty that Subaru if doing this for me, is an understatement.
awesome. Just don’t get back in the same scenario. It’s easy to repeat the mistake with the dealers. It can happen again so just be vigilant
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TommyW For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (12-01-2020)
Old 12-02-2020, 11:32 AM   #413
SockMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyW View Post
awesome. Just don’t get back in the same scenario. It’s easy to repeat the mistake with the dealers. It can happen again so just be vigilant
This isn't the dealer that did the original recall work. I'm in Maine and I bought the car in NY. So I'm not too worried. He said they haven't seen any BRZ with spun rods after the recall, but there aren't many in the state/area so I'm not really surprised. They are also doing a full long block replacement after inspecting the damage. The are assembling it, but with all new parts so there should be minimal risk of failure.
Old 12-02-2020, 12:20 PM   #414
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,093 Times in 2,044 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
This isn't the dealer that did the original recall work. I'm in Maine and I bought the car in NY. So I'm not too worried. He said they haven't seen any BRZ with spun rods after the recall, but there aren't many in the state/area so I'm not really surprised. They are also doing a full long block replacement after inspecting the damage. The are assembling it, but with all new parts so there should be minimal risk of failure.
To be fair, the risk isn't about new parts vs old, it's about the assembly process. Re-assembly is what is dangerous.
Let's hope the person working on it is having a great day and just received his raise, holiday bonus, and woke up with breakfast waiting for him on the table.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Ganthrithor (01-13-2021)
Old 12-02-2020, 07:56 PM   #415
SockMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
To be fair, the risk isn't about new parts vs old, it's about the assembly process. Re-assembly is what is dangerous.
Let's hope the person working on it is having a great day and just received his raise, holiday bonus, and woke up with breakfast waiting for him on the table.
True, let's hope lol. But half the danger is also when they are cleaning off the old parts and scraping off the old sealant. At least now I just have to hope he simply assembles the new parts correctly. I'm not worried at all really. But I guess time will tell.
DarkPira7e (12-02-2020)
Old 12-02-2020, 11:30 PM   #416
xZAMx

Drives: '13 FR-S - Hot Lava
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
After reading this article and doing some more research on civil lawsuit case,
I thought people might be interested in contacting the judge via email or letter to NOT to drop the case.

You can reach him at
Joshua D. Wolson, Judge

3809 U.S. Courthouse
Philadelphia, PA 19106
Courtroom 3-B
Email - Chambers_of_Judge_Wolson@paed.uscourts.gov

I've also attached the case document that was filed if anyone wanted to read yourself.

I'll even get the email/letter started for you!

Hi Judge Wolson,

I'm writing to you as a concerned owner of the affected vehicle, and I'd like to urge you to push forward with the case. Please hold Subaru and Toyota responsible for their actions.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf nunez-v-subaru-of-america-et-al.pdf (462.1 KB, 255 views)

Last edited by xZAMx; 12-02-2020 at 11:40 PM.
xZAMx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:55 AM   #417
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Lucky you getting a new long block and for being made whole. That new dealer sounds like the kind of place you want to be going back to... I'm curious, which dealer here in NY screwed yours up?
Old 12-03-2020, 10:46 AM   #418
SockMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
Lucky you getting a new long block and for being made whole. That new dealer sounds like the kind of place you want to be going back to... I'm curious, which dealer here in NY screwed yours up?
Carbone Subaru of Utica did the recall work as well as the fluid changes and plugs. I know I got lucky and they really are making me whole. They could have easily just been like "we didn't find anything so we aren't covering it. Tough shit." But my dealer said they didn't find any evidence that their work caused the failure and they said I likely just got unlucky. I tend to believe them because even after that they still got approval for a full replacement for just $500, which is an amazing offer..

But I supposed just because there wasn't excess or old sealant blocking the oil pickup, doesn't mean it didn't potentially get elsewhere and blocked a passage way. Though I don't really know if thats likely.
gravitylover (12-04-2020)
Old 12-04-2020, 10:22 AM   #419
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Well, that new dealer earned your business going forward didn't they.

It's actually quite likely smaller bits of broken up sealant blocked a passage somewhere causing the starvation to that bearing. I'm pretty sure that's what happened to mine, the pickup had been cleaned by the guy that did the initial work and he was pretty confident there wouldn't be more. He was wrong. I do believe he most likely got the big stuff though.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:44 PM   #420
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Vehicle Mileage:~84,213
Mileage After Recall Performed: ~30mi (T/T 84,183 at recall, engine failed on drive home from dealer)
Symptom(s): Ticking sounds followed by increasingly-loud knocking noises, lurching, partial power failure, extremely rough idle.
Failure: spun bearing caused by oil starvation due to debris contamination
State: CA
Is Dealership Offering Repair: dealer is covering cost of rebuilding and have ordered a new short block

Go ahead and add me to the list. I'm literally so mad right now. From the moment I saw "valve spring replacement" and glanced over the procedure I knew I'd rather take my chances with the original springs than have my heads disassembled. Put it off until DMV told me in January that I couldn't complete my registration. Paid my reg fees and just drove the car the rest of the year since neither top-end work nor a bunch of people poking around in my car for weeks during COVID sounded attractive. Finally thought I'd better get it done before the end of the year and brought the car in. The car didn't make it home from the dealer-- it got about thirty miles before I got ticking noises degenerating into loud rod knock, one good lurch, partial power failure all within about one minute. Pulled into the nearest driveway I could find that was big enough that I wasn't blocking it and shut it down. Idle sounded horrific.

Car's being flat-bedded back to the dealer: no trucks available for long-distance transport today so it will be delivered tomorrow. Will update with conclusions / outcome, though doubt anything significant will happen before January at this point given the holiday timing.

Haven't been on here in a long time and wasn't aware that this procedure was grenading lots of engines. I guess knowing wouldn't really have helped, given that the procedure was mandatory. Such a shame. I really liked my engine-- broke it in well and took good care of it and it ran really nicely. Hope the dealer is cooperative :\

UPDATE: Dealer originally wanted me to pay for a complete tear-down on the engine to determine the cause of failure, but we agreed instead to start with just pulling the oil sump at their expense to inspect oil suction screen. Visited the dealer today to take a peek: debris everywhere, oil screen significantly obstructed. Looked like smaller bits of contaminant than some of the previous pictures (no massive strips of sealant stuck in the screen or anything), but enough to clog things up. Very happy and relieved to report that the dealer (Kirby Subaru in Ventura) took full responsibility and have ordered a new short block: kudos to them for standing behind their work. For what it's worth, they said they've done quite a few of these recalls (mostly on Crosstreks) without issue. IIRC they said they'd only had a problem with one other affected engine.

UPDATE: Car is back! Dealer covered new short block + all labor, I covered a new set of camshafts and cam carriers. The shafts and journals on the carriers were pretty gouged up (easily felt with a finger nail)-- dealer said they'd noticed the wear on them during the initial disassembly for the recall work but didn't think it was bad enough to require replacements at that time. I'm a little skeptical, but since they were covering the cost of the block and a whole lot of labor, offered a loaner car and were generally being very helpful I figured I'd just pay for it. Total cost out the door just over $2,000 for the cams/carriers and some un-related items that came up while everything was apart: new clutch pressure plate and throwout bearing (plate was marred-- probably by the original throwout bearing that started to squeal around ~35k miles) and some replacement fittings for the PCV system.

Happy to have the car back after almost two months, and just super relieved the dealer was good about fixing the problem. At the end of the day despite spending a chunk of money, this car has still been very reasonable to operate: this is the first time I've had to spend any significant amount of money on the car since purchasing it back in 2013, and the cost of ownership pales in comparison to my 911.

As far as the recall goes: I'd say avoid it if you can, or take it somewhere that handles a lot of BRZs / 86's-- as one member pointed out, the procedure for FB engines is substantially different (camshafts and timing cover stay on), so just because there's a good success rate on Crosstreks doesn't necessarily mean a BRZ job will go smoothly. I still think it's completely crazy that Subaru only want to pay for ~12 man-hours on a job that involves pulling the engine and disassembling literally the most fiddly parts. If you're going to have this done, I'd seriously consider running the car for a few months beforehand and sending a couple of used oil samples for lab analysis (as well as making sure you have all your maintenance documentation in order) so you can demonstrate that your engine was healthy prior to getting the recall done if necessary. I immediately regretted not continuing my oil analyses when this happened, but my thinking a few years ago when I stopped was that with the car out of warranty anyway there was no longer much likelihood of possibly getting into arguments with a dealer over maintenance-- who'd have thought we'd be tearing our engines open seven years after purchase for a mandatory recall :P

Last edited by Ganthrithor; 02-08-2021 at 04:46 AM.
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ganthrithor For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (12-23-2020), DarkSunrise (01-16-2021), gravitylover (12-26-2020), Ultramaroon (01-16-2021)

Tags
fa20, failure, recall, spun bearing, subaru, toyota, valve spring