follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 01-22-2014, 03:02 PM   #15
SmsAlSuwaidi
Boosted

Drives: Not a supra....yet
Thanked 1,203 Times in 812 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Keeping the pedal down at a stoplight will prematurely wear the throwout bearing. That's not the clutch, but it's still wear that will happen.
premature you say ?
SmsAlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:01 PM   #16
Mister

Drives: Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayau View Post
Keeping the clutch pedal down while at stop lights will also shorten the lifespan. Shift into neutral and release the clutch at stop lights.
This is a terrible idea. If you need to suddenly move/get out of the way of something you will be much slower to react if you first have to put it into gear. In emergency maneuvers fractions of a second count.
I'd rather be ready to move then save what will probably be only a couple thousand miles of it's life.
Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mister For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (01-22-2014), fx35s (02-03-2014)
Old 01-22-2014, 05:36 PM   #17
qqzj

Drives: MDX, Camry
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What would you do then? Shift into 1st gear and keep both clutch and brake down? If real emergency happens, you might release clutch before step on gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister View Post
This is a terrible idea. If you need to suddenly move/get out of the way of something you will be much slower to react if you first have to put it into gear. In emergency maneuvers fractions of a second count.
I'd rather be ready to move then save what will probably be only a couple thousand miles of it's life.
qqzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:36 PM   #18
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes, you're correct. It's all risk/reward. There are a lot of things people should be doing (or not doing) while driving. I obviously value not having to keep my left foot down at stop lights and saving my throw out bearing over gaining an extra second during an emergency maneuver (if you can really even think and react that fast).
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:42 PM   #19
Mister

Quote:
Originally Posted by qqzj View Post
What would you do then? Shift into 1st gear and keep both clutch and brake down? If real emergency happens, you might release clutch before step on gas.

Yes and if I leave it in neutral I might forget to put it in gear and just rev it. Or I put it in gear and I move too fast the clutch might be released too quick anyway.

I'll take less steps and less risks any day.

Typically when I am stopped on level ground I am not holding the brake anyway, the car will stay right where it is because the clutch is in. In which case my foot is already covering the gas, again risk reduced. I am not sure if this is the preferred practice (it may be horribly bad), it is just a habit I picked up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2014, 05:48 PM   #20
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes and if I leave it in neutral I might forget to put it in gear and just rev it. Or I put it in gear and I move too fast the clutch might be released too quick anyway.

I'll take less steps and less risks any day.

Typically when I am stopped on level ground I am not holding the brake anyway, the car will stay right where it is because the clutch is in. In which case my foot is already covering the gas, again risk reduced. I am not sure if this is the preferred practice (it may be horribly bad), it is just a habit I picked up.

Isn't the general consensus to keep your foot on the brakes in case someone from behind rear ends you? That way your car won't be pushed forward as much, reducing damage to the person in front of you. I'm guessing your response would be: Keep an eye on your rear view mirror and drive away if you think the person behind isn't stopping.
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:07 PM   #21
Mister

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayau View Post
Isn't the general consensus to keep your foot on the brakes in case someone from behind rear ends you? That way your car won't be pushed forward as much, reducing damage to the person in front of you. I'm guessing your response would be: Keep an eye on your rear view mirror and drive away if you think the person behind isn't stopping.

I did not claim it to be the best way, you may be completely right in that matter and I will not argue on that. And yes I do watch my mirror when someone is coming up behind me while I am stopped, and it has saved me a couple times from minor fender benders.
Optimally yes you can try to get out of the way if possible, but obviously often times it is not possible, and just standing on the brake is your only option. Either way I would rather have the extra control/less steps to get moving again. I feel it is generally a good idea to have the car in the right gear for the situation, including when stopped.

When driving in Boston you gotta keep your eyes wide and your foot on the gas, people drive like complete assholes so you really have to watch yourself.

As far as premature wear I'm not sure What kind of impact it has, it, as long as the clutch is all the way in I am not worried. I have yet to wear out a clutch before 70-80k, and my father (who taught me this way) is currently still on the original clutch after 145k miles in his Corolla.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:17 PM   #22
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
I think the throwout bearing will need to be replaced before the clutch.

I plan on installing a new clutch around 60k, regardless of if it's still in working condition, I'd like a fresh clutch. I'll probably get it done in the same 60k service when I get my spark plugs replaced.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to radroach For This Useful Post:
JS86JS (01-22-2014), Tomm (12-07-2020)
Old 01-22-2014, 06:20 PM   #23
JS86JS

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 GTS, Marine Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I just hit 32k kms on my 86 about an hour ago and I drive it everyday for work in bumper to bumper traffic 8 hours a day and when there's a gap, in the mind numbing traffic or a dead quiet road I'll drive it hard, to enjoy going above 40km/h !!
Long story short, I have had no issues with the clutch engaging, disengaging or no noises (as of yet) keep your car up to its service and hopefully scion, or Subaru or Toyota will truthfully fill you in on when your clutch is dyeing.

To add to that, if you have a dyno graph or you know what power your car has (with your mods, if any) and the power is less than the OEM clutch power rating;
You can replace clutch parts through the warranty for free

20% window tint, Full DB drive sound system, Trunk & footwell neons, Injen SES, Number plate, reverse, dome LED upgrade, Debadged 'TOYOTA', Injen CAI, Borla UEL headers, ecutek tune w/ racerom, alloy pulley kit soon! 186hp at the wheels best dyno
Old 01-22-2014, 07:04 PM   #24
BRZZZZZZZZZZ
Car Nut

Drives: BMW 335d, Toyota Echo RS, FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I've had clutches last anywhere from 160000km to 225000km+ on vehicles I have owned.
BRZZZZZZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:47 PM   #25
Suberman
Banned

Drives: Subaru BRZ Sport Tech Satin White
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Neutral clutch out at a light is bad form. If you need to get moving in an emergency...
On the other hand, if you are hit or your foot slips you cause way more damage. Most people would disagree with your assertion and in the UK or Germany this would lead to a fail on your driving test.

There should be no emergency while stopped at a light. Obviously, your technique only makes any sense if you are first in line, otherwise it makes no sense.

I recommend you rethink this one.
Suberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:04 PM   #26
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,176 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suberman View Post
On the other hand, if you are hit or your foot slips you cause way more damage. Most people would disagree with your assertion and in the UK or Germany this would lead to a fail on your driving test.

There should be no emergency while stopped at a light. Obviously, your technique only makes any sense if you are first in line, otherwise it makes no sense.

I recommend you rethink this one.
Your other foot is on the brake, whether you hold your clutch in or not. Distance traveled if hit from behind makes no difference.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
fx35s (02-03-2014), Mister (01-22-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 08:48 PM   #27
TheseColorsDontRun
Keep calm and drive on

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited 6M
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
All depends on your driving style. Lots of aggressive launches and riding your clutch will wear it quick. Rev-match your downshifts and keep slippage to a minimum. I got over 100k on a stock VW TDI clutch pushing 330tq, 80k on a 400whp LS2 GTO clutch. I expect 125k out of this clutch. I'm at 188whp and don't plan any more power adders.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:36 PM   #28
bkblitzed
is better than you

Drives: 2013 raven FRS
Thanked 1,347 Times in 745 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
with me clutch kicking, and launching everyday, who knows. It's lasted 20k miles so far heh
bkblitzed is offline   Reply With Quote