follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 01-20-2021, 08:02 AM   #1
Hamza

Drives: Widebody 86/F56 Mini Cooper S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Need Help with Lugs

Hey so a few of the lugs got cross threaded (old owner had these one) and I need to get a new set. Problem is my budget is quite tight, so I was wondering if anyone here knows if those gorilla ones listed on ftspeed are any good?

These: https://www.ftspeed.com/part/2015-20...s#.YAgoqznitdo

If not was wondering if anyone knows about these I found on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Circuit-Perfo...1147078&sr=8-8

What I'm surprised about is that the ones that were on right now are from Aliexpress for like $10, and I believe the old owner has had them on for over 2 years plus my 1 year and there's no rust nor faded threads, it's just a couple lugs were crossed by a shop so I have to get new ones. I see people bashing well named budget lugs so yeah.

Also if this info is important: Where I live it basically never really rains and our winters are all sun. I guess this helps in nothing rusting
Hamza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 08:18 AM   #2
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
If the lug nuts are cross threaded and were still ON, that means your lug bolts might be, too. Your adventure doesn't end with new lug nuts

To be honest, any lug nut will works; the question is really how durable is it. Auto parts lugnuts are good enough, I'd go with those rather than some weird stuff online; at least the auto store ones typically come with a locking set ( even if it is a generic key)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Hamza (01-20-2021), soundman98 (01-20-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 09:56 AM   #3
Hamza

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
If the lug nuts are cross threaded and were still ON, that means your lug bolts might be, too. Your adventure doesn't end with new lug nuts

To be honest, any lug nut will works; the question is really how durable is it. Auto parts lugnuts are good enough, I'd go with those rather than some weird stuff online; at least the auto store ones typically come with a locking set ( even if it is a generic key)
Oh yeah I didn't mention I've already replaced the faulty stud bolts. The issue I have is where I live we don't really have any proper autopart stores, it's just individuals marking prices up on things they get from amazon and such themselves. I don't really care (or honestly would like to avoid) those special key lugs because having them stolen is almost a 0% probability for me. It would just make it easier at shops to not have a key (because they'd mess with the key then I'd be stranded)
The Following User Says Thank You to Hamza For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (01-20-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 10:07 AM   #4
Matt93SE

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2017 BRZ
I have used the Gorilla ones for years on multiple street and race cars, and almost always used with an impact so I'm not nice with them. I'm also in a very humid coastal environment so corrosion can be an issue.

I have not had any issues with them that weren't caused by user error. i.e. ALWAYS start the lugs by hand and give them a couple turns to make sure they're threaded right. too many people get in a hurry and just try to zip them on. bam. stripped thread.
Also.. if you ever drop them on the ground- mud, dirt, sand, etc. get on the threads, CLEAN them first! don't just try to run them up anyway and think the dirt will mash out of the way. Especially with sand because it's so hard and abrasive-- it'll grind into the threads and start the metal seizing. you may put the lug nut on and think everything is fine, but when you try to take it off again months later, the nut strips and you're screwed.

I maybe 20 years of using those lugs (literally thousands of mount/dismount cycles since I might pull the wheels 5-10 times a weekend at a race) I've ruined a small handful of them and it was my own fault for doing one of the above.
Matt93SE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt93SE For This Useful Post:
Hamza (01-20-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 10:13 AM   #5
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,195 Times in 1,124 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Gorilla are good quality. Just make sure you buy steel lugs and not aluminum or you'll end up in the same position again.

Those forged steel lugs in the second link look identical to the gorilla forged lug nuts I am running now. They're extended nuts which will stick out farther.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RToyo86 For This Useful Post:
Hamza (01-20-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 10:34 AM   #6
Th3rdSun

Drives: 2013 FR-S MT Hot Lava
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I had a set of Gorilla lugs on a '94 Accord,back in the day,and they held up quite nicely.

Like the previous comment says,stay away from aluminum lugs,I'll add though,only if you never take your wheels off.

I have a set of Project Kics R40s for the summer,and couldn't be more happy with them.
Th3rdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Th3rdSun For This Useful Post:
Hamza (01-20-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 10:46 AM   #7
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamza View Post
Oh yeah I didn't mention I've already replaced the faulty stud bolts. The issue I have is where I live we don't really have any proper autopart stores, it's just individuals marking prices up on things they get from amazon and such themselves. I don't really care (or honestly would like to avoid) those special key lugs because having them stolen is almost a 0% probability for me. It would just make it easier at shops to not have a key (because they'd mess with the key then I'd be stranded)
Sounds like you got yourself set up good; the Gorilla lug nuts would be totally fine then
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Hamza (01-20-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 10:50 AM   #8
Hamza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
I have used the Gorilla ones for years on multiple street and race cars, and almost always used with an impact so I'm not nice with them. I'm also in a very humid coastal environment so corrosion can be an issue.

I have not had any issues with them that weren't caused by user error. i.e. ALWAYS start the lugs by hand and give them a couple turns to make sure they're threaded right. too many people get in a hurry and just try to zip them on. bam. stripped thread.
Also.. if you ever drop them on the ground- mud, dirt, sand, etc. get on the threads, CLEAN them first! don't just try to run them up anyway and think the dirt will mash out of the way. Especially with sand because it's so hard and abrasive-- it'll grind into the threads and start the metal seizing. you may put the lug nut on and think everything is fine, but when you try to take it off again months later, the nut strips and you're screwed.

I maybe 20 years of using those lugs (literally thousands of mount/dismount cycles since I might pull the wheels 5-10 times a weekend at a race) I've ruined a small handful of them and it was my own fault for doing one of the above.
I've been doing all that myself but I had to give it to a shop to do some body work and a few days later I hear knocking and 2 of my wheels were about to come off on a highway

It really makes me mad how shops can't even put the effort in to just thread it by hand before using power tools. Been trying to get with them back and forth for compensation but they keep delaying, and I don't have time (nor real proof) to be able to report them to police or something.
Old 01-20-2021, 10:51 AM   #9
Hamza

Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
Gorilla are good quality. Just make sure you buy steel lugs and not aluminum or you'll end up in the same position again.

Those forged steel lugs in the second link look identical to the gorilla forged lug nuts I am running now. They're extended nuts which will stick out farther.
ahh yeah I've looked through the forums enough to know to stay away from aluminum
Old 01-20-2021, 10:53 AM   #10
Hamza

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Sounds like you got yourself set up good; the Gorilla lug nuts would be totally fine then
ayy sounds good, although they are a bit shorter than what I'd want but you get what you pay for. The $70 dollars shipping thooooooo

I'll try to find things on Amazon or something to cut cost on shipping.

But last question, I've noticed there are also differences in the lug seating. I have Work Meister L 3P and was wondering will the seating style just be mentioned on the work website?

Thank you !
Old 01-20-2021, 11:00 AM   #11
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Quote:
ayy sounds good, although they are a bit shorter than what I'd want but you get what you pay for. The $70 dollars shipping thooooooo

But last question, I've noticed there are also differences in the lug seating. I have Work Meister L 3P and was wondering will the seating style just be mentioned on the work website?

Thank you !
I can't really comment on that, since the wheels are something incredible; I'd see if you can search for the lug seat style on those wheels ( typically it'll be conical "acorn" style) I'd peruse Google to see what style lugnuts people are using with these wheels
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Hamza (01-20-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 11:33 AM   #12
Matt93SE

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2017 BRZ
Quote:

Thank you !
In general, there's only 3 types of lug nuts- tapered/conical, ball, and flat. the vast majority of modern wheels and lug nuts (like 90% or more) are conical.

look at the wheel and/or existing lug nuts and make sure they're correct.
Matt93SE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Matt93SE For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (01-20-2021), Hamza (01-20-2021), p1l0t (01-21-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 10:36 AM   #13
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Ball nuts are just so natural though..

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 12:08 PM   #14
wolffbite
Just the tip

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I use the gorilla ones on my summer set. They aren't particularly pretty or fancy but the price is right and I've never had an issue with them. The finish is ~90% intact after 3 years of use so they seem pretty durable.

To add to good lug tightening practice noted above, I always take a wire brush with some brake cleaner and give the threads a light scrub when I do a wheel swap just to be sure they are clear of any debris or corrosion. Something I've always done and I have never dealt with a seized or cross-threaded lug.
wolffbite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wolffbite For This Useful Post:
Hamza (01-21-2021)