follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 01-20-2021, 05:34 PM   #15
Veypor

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks for the pics.
What is behind those vents? Are they real or fake?
Veypor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 11:10 PM   #16
JusTheG

Drives: 2017 Subaru Forester 2.5L Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Mauro View Post
Thanks!!! I used a Nikon D850, and a Sigma Art 14-24mm f/2.8 DG HSM, and Sigma Art 24-70mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM. Sadly, I didn't have my CPLs with me (though some of the shots would have been artistic choice not to use it). I hadn't planned on shooting the BRZ that day. Instead, I was helping navigate a charity cruise, and didn't expect to be taking any photos. Lesson learned... bring everything, all the time, lol!!!
Isn't that the truth when you go for an initial event that turns into something else lol. But still, nice work on the pictures without the right filters so you made the most of it mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
Isnt that rear canard on the wheel well just some kind of regulation workaround? I think its existence had something to do with the rear wheels and fenders being lined up or something like that.
Had to look it up to verify and the Club Lexus forums came with the right link for the RC F. According to the blog post, they call them "spats."
http://blog.lexus.co.uk/lexus-rc-f-functional-beauty/

Quote:
The far edges of the front and rear bumpers have been shaped to direct air smoothly along the side of the car, while front and rear wheel spats reduce the amount of airflow hitting the tyres. Liners in the wheel arches – with a different design for the front and rear – reduce air turbulence around the wheels.
Honestly, engineers will always take an existing design if there is a possibility to add additional body pieces for some drag reduction at a minimal cost to the OEM. Probably, FHI uses the same body molding supplier for Toyota to acquire the design patent for it to then have it manufactured for the BRZ/86.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veypor View Post
Thanks for the pics.
What is behind those vents? Are they real or fake?
Pictures and Videos from the Unveiling show that the vents are functional. Small cutouts through the front bumper and the front wheel wheels are shown, but how wide those openings are what we will need to see more information about.
JusTheG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 11:46 AM   #17
Mr.Impreza
Mr.Fujitsubo

Drives: 2018 STI
Thanked 1,552 Times in 784 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
2nd gen looks superb, I'll gladly be returning to the twins in the future to compliment my STI

Mr.Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Impreza For This Useful Post:
Lantanafrs2 (01-31-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 06:21 AM   #18
Willpower
The Power of Will

Drives: 17 BRZ PP, 02 S2000, 21 Mojave
Quote:
Isnt that rear canard on the wheel well just some kind of regulation workaround?

I think its existence had something to do with the rear wheels and fenders being lined up or something like that. Without it the fender slopes in too much and it doesnt cover enough of the wheel as per regulationl?

The LExus RCF has this thing too.

I think you can take it off and no one will be the wiser, its just that it has to be attached for dealers to sell it legally.
I don’t think you can just take it off easily, not and keep it looking right anyway. It’s in two pieces. Front piece appears just an add on to the rear wheel well, but the back portion, where it sticks out the most, is a molded part of the rear bumper cover.
Willpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:16 AM   #19
Blighty

Drives: WR Blue Pearl 2022 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Isnt that rear canard on the wheel well just some kind of regulation workaround?
I'm pretty sure he is talking about how the rear wheel qtr body now have a second angle. The only part of the old car I didn't like the look of was how there was kinda like a sheet of body that went up very high (on a slight angle) to the curve where it meets the main body, and it sorta looked like the rear qtr of a camrey (to me) - bland. Its something that is really hard to see properly in pictures, but in real life once you see it its hard to un-see it.

Not they have sculpted it further, it curves out, then angled down with an additional curve line that runs across the whole thing to join the tail light with the top curve, and so not only is it doing more interesting stuff, its also a smaller sheet section down to the wheel arch. I promise you this will look WAY better in real life - hard to grasp in pictures.
Blighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 11:12 AM   #20
StE92ve

Drives: 2014 Mazda CX-5
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I know that some think that the color of a sports car needs to be bright and flashy but I think the Ice Silver Metallic on the BRZ looks great.
StE92ve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StE92ve For This Useful Post:
beltax90 (01-24-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 03:14 PM   #21
JusTheG

Drives: 2017 Subaru Forester 2.5L Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blighty View Post
I'm pretty sure he is talking about how the rear wheel qtr body now have a second angle. The only part of the old car I didn't like the look of was how there was kinda like a sheet of body that went up very high (on a slight angle) to the curve where it meets the main body, and it sorta looked like the rear qtr of a camrey (to me) - bland. Its something that is really hard to see properly in pictures, but in real life once you see it its hard to un-see it.

Not they have sculpted it further, it curves out, then angled down with an additional curve line that runs across the whole thing to join the tail light with the top curve, and so not only is it doing more interesting stuff, its also a smaller sheet section down to the wheel arch. I promise you this will look WAY better in real life - hard to grasp in pictures.
I'll try to see if I can point out things that I see from the Rear Panel that make sense from a Fluids standpoint albeit my last time working on CFD was back in 2018. Low speed fluid dynamics for cars should apply at the sideskirt and the rear "spat" that Toyota uses for their terminology to streamline the airflow to around or under the car body. You will get turbulent air at the wheel well but the design of the side skirt should be able to mitigate some of those vectors and the rear spat at the well will assist with deflect the air around the body panel towards to rear bumper/wing. I just roughly did some vectors that from a CFD side probably will need more detail to define the actual speed of air flow around the car body, but I'm starting to like what the Engineers at Subaru/Toyota did to make the car achieve that lower drag coefficient. I agree it's hard to grasp in pictures what I was talking about but I personally think the design will age fine in terms of aesthetic.
Attached Images

JusTheG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JusTheG For This Useful Post:
Blighty (01-28-2021), StE92ve (01-25-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 10:47 PM   #22
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Now you can smile back then race off with more power.
Attached Images

5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:50 AM   #23
indio22

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
Oddly enough I like it more now
The second gen is growing on me. The first gen had me at hello, while the second gen is taking more time. I'm still not sold on the new side "pectoral fins", and the "tear drop" looking air intakes on either side of the front bumper.

But overall the car is looking nice in those photos. Looking forward to seeing the vehicle in person. And in red - assuming Subaru doesn't make some bizarre move again and fail to offer red in the USA (like they did last year of the first gen).
indio22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 02:20 PM   #24
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
It's a beautiful car. It will probably sell well too. Last chance for this type of vehicle imo.
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 03:35 PM   #25
beltax90

Drives: 2010 corolla
Thanked 1,798 Times in 780 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
beltax90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 04:52 PM   #26
StE92ve

Drives: 2014 Mazda CX-5
Quote:
Originally Posted by beltax90 View Post

That's an unflattering angle and almost makes the BRZ front end more desirable
StE92ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 05:17 PM   #27
T-Steve

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Garage
You know, the fenders on the new 86/BRZ remind me of the good old "1967-68 to 1969 Camaro" change.

See attached my crude clip of some randomly googled pictures showing 1967 (top) and 1969 (bottom) Camaros.

Note the fenders.
Attached Images

T-Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 12:48 PM   #28
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Not being a Camaro guy, I don't think I ever noticed that change. I do know that I like the looks of the earlier Cam better.

As to the spats, even the Corolla has those at the rear wheels now (albeit much smaller).

Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dake For This Useful Post:
JusTheG (02-08-2021)

Tags
2022 subaru brz, subaru ambassador, subaru brz