follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

View Poll Results: Which one would you rather?
Nissan Z 89 69.53%
Toyota Supra 39 30.47%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2020, 02:29 AM   #771
dpfarr

Drives: BRZ ts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Perhaps, but he is right. It is about how it makes you feel. Gotta test drive all the options. If everyone listened to the reviews then they would avoid the 86 for lack of power or be getting a Miata or whatever.
I’ve already got feelings for the styling. (Soft spot for yellow, extra points.) Full feelings for power, rwd, 3rd pedal and engine support. The last part that needs to happen before I go let those feelings be known is the reviews.
Old 12-23-2020, 09:46 AM   #772
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,012 Times in 338 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
If everyone listened to the reviews then they would avoid the 86 for lack of power or be getting a Miata or whatever.
Exactly. How many of the BRZ/86 reviews have whined about 'not enough power'? Most of them. Especially the on-line second- and third-tier youtube reviewers all sing the same chorus line of 'needs more powah'. They sound like Jeremy Clarkson.

I have to admit, I was somewhat influenced by all of it. When the BRZ first came out, I was interested but swayed by all the reviewers saying pretty much the same thing. I didn't test drive one until 2018.

It was a mistake for me to have put so much weight on the 'reviews' of the car. After all the reviews and comments about 'no power', the first time I drove it I was expecting it to not be able to not get out of its own way. My wife actually encouraged me to drive it. She always liked the BRZ, and in the process of buying her Crosstrek, she convinced me to slide my butt into the seat of a BRZ in the showroom, and then it was a short 'why not' to a test drive.

It was a revelation. I've owned many relatively low-power 1960's and 1970's sports cars so I wasn't expecting a muscle-car experience and the capillaries in my eyeballs to be ruptured by the accelerative G-forces. But it was nonetheless amazingly fun. It felt like (and in looks somewhat resembled) the Opel GT's I used to own back in the 70's. The power was 'enough' for me, enough to be fun, enough to like the car, and enough to not keep me from buying it. So I did.

The lesson for me was, take all car reviews with a grain of salt. They're useful and interesting, but more entertainment than anything else (except Consumer Reports, not for their take on the 'fun' factor but for practical things like reliability). Ultimately, I didn't care how many reviewers thought the car needed more power. I had fun driving it. I was buying the car to please myself (and my wife), not to gain the approval of car reviewers, friends, strangers, or anyone else. Yes, some of my friends joined the on-line chorus of 'but they're so slow!' without their ever having driven one themselves, and I couldn't care less. I wish I had driven a BRZ years earlier - I probably would have bought one instead of the 2015 Mustang GT I bought back then.

But then, I've also reached the point in my life (60-something) that I've stopped caring what anyone else thinks (except my wife). Some people talk about getting 'f#ck you' money. I've reached the point of 'f#ck you' age. After wasting too much time, I've learned what other people think doesn't matter at all to my own happiness. Who cares? Other people's opinions don't matter. I don't seek anyone else's approvel. That's been even more of a revelation than my first test drive of a BRZ.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
Ash_89 (12-28-2020), bcj (12-23-2020), HachiRokuX (12-23-2020), Irace86.2.0 (12-23-2020), new2subaru (12-23-2020), Rampage (12-24-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 05:40 PM   #773
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post
Exactly. How many of the BRZ/86 reviews have whined about 'not enough power'? Most of them. Especially the on-line second- and third-tier youtube reviewers all sing the same chorus line of 'needs more powah'. They sound like Jeremy Clarkson.

I have to admit, I was somewhat influenced by all of it. When the BRZ first came out, I was interested but swayed by all the reviewers saying pretty much the same thing. I didn't test drive one until 2018.

It was a mistake for me to have put so much weight on the 'reviews' of the car. After all the reviews and comments about 'no power', the first time I drove it I was expecting it to not be able to not get out of its own way. My wife actually encouraged me to drive it. She always liked the BRZ, and in the process of buying her Crosstrek, she convinced me to slide my butt into the seat of a BRZ in the showroom, and then it was a short 'why not' to a test drive.

It was a revelation. I've owned many relatively low-power 1960's and 1970's sports cars so I wasn't expecting a muscle-car experience and the capillaries in my eyeballs to be ruptured by the accelerative G-forces. But it was nonetheless amazingly fun. It felt like (and in looks somewhat resembled) the Opel GT's I used to own back in the 70's. The power was 'enough' for me, enough to be fun, enough to like the car, and enough to not keep me from buying it. So I did.

The lesson for me was, take all car reviews with a grain of salt. They're useful and interesting, but more entertainment than anything else (except Consumer Reports, not for their take on the 'fun' factor but for practical things like reliability). Ultimately, I didn't care how many reviewers thought the car needed more power. I had fun driving it. I was buying the car to please myself (and my wife), not to gain the approval of car reviewers, friends, strangers, or anyone else. Yes, some of my friends joined the on-line chorus of 'but they're so slow!' without their ever having driven one themselves, and I couldn't care less. I wish I had driven a BRZ years earlier - I probably would have bought one instead of the 2015 Mustang GT I bought back then.

But then, I've also reached the point in my life (60-something) that I've stopped caring what anyone else thinks (except my wife). Some people talk about getting 'f#ck you' money. I've reached the point of 'f#ck you' age. After wasting too much time, I've learned what other people think doesn't matter at all to my own happiness. Who cares? Other people's opinions don't matter. I don't seek anyone else's approvel. That's been even more of a revelation than my first test drive of a BRZ.
I always had sporty cars. I decided to be conservative and get into a practical sport sedan. I test drove a Jetta GLI. Felt huge and numb. I hated it. I had seen the BRZ back at the dealership and was admiring it. My wife (gf at the time) said she didn't understand why I was going with something conservative, and that it didn't fit me. She encouraged me to sit in the car. I was probably sold right then and there, but the test drive solidified the experience. Small, light, low, low seat height, good hood visibility, wrapped snuggly. It was made to be.

I went with by brother years later to test drive a Miata. It was just too small for me. The dimensions were just not right.

I always say, read the reviews, but you have to test drive the car. I didn't test drive the A80 Supra and bought it sight unseen. When I first saw it in person I thought it looked much larger than I thought it would be. For some reason, at 21 back in 2003, I had thought it would be the size of a RX7, which I had seen closely. While I loved pieces of the car like the engine and cockpit interior and rear end shape, it was too bulky, heavy and big. Should have test drove it first.
Old 12-23-2020, 06:16 PM   #774
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpfarr View Post
I sorta hope reviews aren’t stellar about power and handling. I don’t really want to trade my my car for this.
The review on power will probably be mediocre. But the VR30 is the new VQ37 for the tuner boys. Low 3s 0-60 and low 11s 1/4 if you can hookup at 500ftlbs/480whp with a few bolt ons and tune (less than $5k)

I wonder if the Z will have AWD like the Q, or only RWD? The RWD Qs are struggling to hookup at all until 3rd. LSD swap does help a lot though. But the Z being lighter will probably struggle even more.
The Following User Says Thank You to 86TOYO2k17 For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (12-23-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 06:47 PM   #775
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
The review on power will probably be mediocre. But the VR30 is the new VQ37 for the tuner boys. Low 3s 0-60 and low 11s 1/4 if you can hookup at 500ftlbs/480whp with a few bolt ons and tune (less than $5k)

I wonder if the Z will have AWD like the Q, or only RWD? The RWD Qs are struggling to hookup at all until 3rd. LSD swap does help a lot though. But the Z being lighter will probably struggle even more.
I posted a video I while back of a 500whp Q50 with bolt ons. I'm sure the car will be a best with cheap mods.

I'd rather have the RWD and deal with the traction on my own. I'm not a fan of sacrificing the fun factor for AWD or having extra weight or having extra drivetrain losses.

Larger transmission with transfer case, driveshaft up to the front diff, axles, bla bla bla. Too much.

Old 12-23-2020, 07:22 PM   #776
86TOYO2k17

Quote:
I posted a video I while back of a 500whp Q50 with bolt ons. I'm sure the car will be a best with cheap mods.

I'd rather have the RWD and deal with the traction on my own. I'm not a fan of sacrificing the fun factor for AWD or having extra weight or having extra drivetrain losses.

Larger transmission with transfer case, driveshaft up to the front diff, axles, bla bla bla. Too much.

I have a Q50 AWD now pretty extensive build already. 440whp is pretty cheap. e85 to hit 480-500whp needs LPFP, HPFP, injectors, and preferably flex fuel which adds up quick.

Stoked for the 400z to further develop the aftermarket VR30 which is still pretty big.

The AWD is full time RWD until it detects slip in .01sec it will transfer up to 50% of the power to front wheels.

AWD is about 160lbs heavier. Makes the car an obese pig to morbidly obese pig.

In many ways as a sports car it’s the polar opposite of the 86.

Heres the dyno thread for reference.

https://www.infinitiq50.org/threads/...thread.124379/
Irace86.2.0 (12-23-2020)
Old 12-24-2020, 03:25 PM   #777
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
I have a Q50 AWD now pretty extensive build already. 440whp is pretty cheap. e85 to hit 480-500whp needs LPFP, HPFP, injectors, and preferably flex fuel which adds up quick.
I just got a G35 beater, so I was curious, do you have experience with the VQ cars? Have the newer VR powered cars improved refinement?

I ask because tearing into my G35 to fix its many problems and the NVH from the drivetrain, man the quality really leaves much to be desired compared to Honda or Toyota... Rental Maximas with the 3.7 I've driven also make the similar unpleasant buzzing sounds too.

I do have to admit, I want to forgive some of the faults when stepping on it, because the power is pretty awesome for how little money Nissan asks, even though I'm kind of a low-power-car guy.
Old 12-24-2020, 05:34 PM   #778
86TOYO2k17

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
I just got a G35 beater, so I was curious, do you have experience with the VQ cars? Have the newer VR powered cars improved refinement?

I ask because tearing into my G35 to fix its many problems and the NVH from the drivetrain, man the quality really leaves much to be desired compared to Honda or Toyota... Rental Maximas with the 3.7 I've driven also make the similar unpleasant buzzing sounds too.

I do have to admit, I want to forgive some of the faults when stepping on it, because the power is pretty awesome for how little money Nissan asks, even though I'm kind of a low-power-car guy.
Not a lot. I know the VQs especially VQ37s are pretty legendary engines. But it is starting to get to be dated technology.

The VR30DDTT is a 3.0L twin turbo direct injection engine loosely based off the VR38 GTR engine. it utilizes air to water intercoolers and two pretty small turbos with the turbo exhaust manifold integrated into the engine block for as little piping and distance as possible so it has almost no lag, very fast response.

Driving around town or accelerating to get up to speed or pass is very smooth and refined. Giving it like 15% throttle in 5th well get you from 60-80 in almost no time, making no noise or drawing any attention, so effortless and smooth. Then if you want when you step on it she takes off like a bat out of hell.

The VR30 is underrated in power on all Q models especially the non red sports. The Turbos have peak efficiency at 18-19psi but make 9psi in non red sports and 15psi in red sports. (Only difference in horsepower between the RS vs non RS trims is the tune) everything has shown to be pretty reliable and hold well at 500whp/540ft lbs. The turbos themselves are questionable though lots of failures and warranty replacements on those. But currently two aftermarket replacements that shift the powerband up and make about 650whp/600ft lbs. AMS is making 800whp on their turbos hut haven’t released them yet.

The VR30 is a torque monster a huge low/mid range but falls off top end unfortunately, unless you get aftermarket turbos which is why it makes more torque than WHP once tuned.

In terms of refinement of the actual car. Personally i am very pleased. Its a nice entry level luxery sporty car. But my standards are coming from an 86 so they where low... lol.
Lots of little things like preset seats that automatically “open” up when car turns off and go to preset when turned on, remote start, dual hot and cold climate control independent on each side, heated/cooled seats and steering wheel, 2 infotainment screens.
Ash_89 (12-28-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 10:08 AM   #779
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,012 Times in 338 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Here's an interview with Hiroshi Tamura, who is shepherding the new Z. He wants driving the car to be like 'discovering a new dance partner'. Maybe he can breath some life into Nissan yet.

https://global.nissanstories.com/en/...ence-of-z-ness
Old 12-28-2020, 09:18 PM   #780
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
that's a partner that's stepped too hard on my toes and kicked me in the shins in the past...
Old 12-29-2020, 07:25 AM   #781
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:

I used to own a G35 Sedan 6MT. That car had so many rattles, thunks, buzzes, pops. It was ridiculous. The power was the only thing enjoyable about it. The transmission felt like garbage. I misshifted it regularly. DBW was incredibly laggy too which made it impossible to shift smooth. I remember when I was selling the car the guy that test drove the car was jerking like crazy and said, “I promise this isn’t my first time driving a manual”. I told him not to worry that the laggy DBW takes a loooong time to adjust to. The car just overall felt like a tank. I know it was the sedan but it completely turned me off to the whole platform. I also own a 1st gen IS300 which doesn’t feel like a tank at all.
Old 12-29-2020, 10:12 AM   #782
ermax

The results of this poll are mind-boggling to me. Are people really that hung up on badge loyalty that they can't get a Supra because it's made by BMW? The car is crazy fast. There is an A90 that has set FTD for every local autox event for the entire season. We have a very competitive region with some veterans driving some crazy cars. It's beating a veteran in a Cayman GT4 by seconds!

No way in hell would I buy either of these cars but if I had to pick one it would be the Supra and that says a lot because I could get the Nissan in a manual.
Old 12-29-2020, 06:49 PM   #783
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
I used to own a G35 Sedan 6MT. That car had so many rattles, thunks, buzzes, pops. It was ridiculous. The power was the only thing enjoyable about it. The transmission felt like garbage. I misshifted it regularly. DBW was incredibly laggy too which made it impossible to shift smooth.
Lol, that's funny. After a bunch of repairs, my car doesn't clunk that badly anymore, but I still have a mystery clunk from the rear (checked all suspension bits, they're all torqued correctly, but it sounds like something loose in the suspension, which is infuriating)... It's actually quite nice and comfortable when the road is smooth and no rocks are hitting the car, aside from the wind noise over 65mph.

I can't speak for your car, but my coupe actually has very good throttle response, and the shifter is alright. Has quite a bit of play, but Porsches also have play in the shifter brand new, so meh.

I take comfort in knowing that some irresponsible high school kid might possibly take this car off me later for more than I put in, because they're strangely popular.
Old 12-29-2020, 11:12 PM   #784
ermax

Quote:
Lol, that's funny. After a bunch of repairs, my car doesn't clunk that badly anymore, but I still have a mystery clunk from the rear (checked all suspension bits, they're all torqued correctly, but it sounds like something loose in the suspension, which is infuriating)... It's actually quite nice and comfortable when the road is smooth and no rocks are hitting the car, aside from the wind noise over 65mph.

I can't speak for your car, but my coupe actually has very good throttle response, and the shifter is alright. Has quite a bit of play, but Porsches also have play in the shifter brand new, so meh.

I take comfort in knowing that some irresponsible high school kid might possibly take this car off me later for more than I put in, because they're strangely popular.

Maybe DBW improved over the years. Mine was a 2003. Or maybe the tuning was different for the sedan or something. The shifter had a long and heavy throw and the lever is super short like they were compensating for the long throw. I’ve mostly owned Honda’s so I have high standards and Porsche for sure wouldn’t be on my list of good shifters either. The best shifters I’ve driven are the S2000 and the Twins.

As for selling the car. Man it took forever to sell mine. Got a lot of calls from people confirming that listing it as a manual was a mistake. Nope, it’s really a manual. Click. The Coupe should sell without a problem though.

Closed Thread