follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 04-13-2014, 02:46 PM   #1
ML

Drives: 13 White MT FR-S
Thanked 1,129 Times in 522 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Post Windshield wiper fluid tank relocation

I'm going to try to walk through what I did to move move my windshield wiper fluid tank to the passenger side of the car using everything from the original windshield wiper fluid tank (WSWFT) except the plastic tank itself. Instead I used an empty canola oil bottle much like this:

MAKE SURE YOU EMPTY IT OUT VERY WELL!!

I know there are probably better options out there but this is what I had available.

I'm going to assume you have already taken the WSWFT out, so I won't start with that. Also note that I had done alot of work without thinking to take pictures so please *beer* with me.

Here is a shot of the finished project:

***quick safety reminder***

Windshield washer fluid is a brightly colored liquid made of methanol, a poisonous alcohol. Sometimes small amounts of other toxic alcohols such as ethylene glycol are added to the mixture. Some young children may mistake the fluid for juice, which can lead to accidental poisoning.

With that in mind the first thing youre going to need to do is empty the original tank out. I just funneled mine back into the fluid bottle.

Then after it empty you can get your hands on the pump. The small black piece attached to the bottom of the tank, which I have circled here in the red circle...
pic credit @fstlane

It is removed by twisting and pulling it. There is only a black rubber gasket that keeps it in. Make sure you keep the gasket as well.

Now set the gasket, and pump aside for a moment, and take your empty bottle that you are going to use for the new tank. Cut about 3/8 of an inch off the top of bottle all the way around. Basically where the threads for the cap to screw on. I used just a box cutter, but be careful not to cut to much or it could cause leaks later.

Now with the bottle cut take the rubber gasket, and put it in the bottle so the lip around the gasket is sitting on the lip of the bottle where you just cut.

Take the pump and shove that sucker in the gasket, being careful not let the gasket fall through (it shouldn't if you didn't cut to much out). It may take some elbow grease, and some twisting to get it in there.

Once the pump was in good, I did a quick leak test with some water. If its leaking I would just start over with another bottle.

Next thing I did was cut a hole in the top (technically the bottom) of the bottle. I made it just large enough to get a funnel for the fluid in. This is one part I couldn't really come up with a good idea of how to close the hole, so for now I just didn't fill it up. If anyone has some suggestions that would be great.

Mounting the tank/bottle I used zip ties. Around the bottom and around the top, to the frame of the car. It took 3 zip ties on the bottom and 4 on the top I believe. It is very sturdy, and I'm not worried about it moving.

Next we need to reroute the fluid line to the other side of the car. This will require removing the plastic under the windshield that houses the spray nozzles, which will require removing the windshield wipers.

First remove the 5 tabs along the front of the plastic that are under the hood.

Next there are 2 tabs on each side near the edge that need to come off.

At the base of the wipers there is a plastic tab that should pop off with some force to reveal a nut that holds them on to their spline. This will require a 14mm socket

After the nut is removed the wipers should slide straight off with some force. But you will probably have to wiggle them up.

Lastly there are 2 plastic pieces on either side that pop off. Its kinda hard to describe how they pop off but if you kinda slide them up and pull they come off easy.

After these are off you should be able to slide the plastic piece down and over the wiper splines. The wiper fluid lines will still be attached to make sure you gather it all up.

Below is a picture of the little plastic piece the fluid line runs into to separate the fluid to both the nozzles. I didn't get a pic of it but on the bottom it has a little arrow to indicate the flow of liquid, this is important.

Now that the tank is on the other side of the car the "T" adapter will need to be flipped around so that the line from the tank needs to be at the base of the arrow on the bottom, and going towards the tanks new location.

Now you will need to drill a hole in the plastic to route the line back into the engine bay. I made mine right above the black metal arm that connects to the firewall. I used a dremel and made it only as large as I had to.

I'm not going to go over exactly how I routed my line, as a lot of you have different setups in your engine bay, but here is a pic of how I did it.

once you get it routed down to the tank don't plug it in yet.

Now onto the electrical portion.

Locate the grey plug that is used to power the pump still hanging at the original location of the WSWFT. It will have a black rubber housing around that needs to be cut off. Once that is off it will expose two wires; A yellow wire, and brown and silver wire. Cut the plug off right in the middle of the wires between the plug and where they are spliced to the rest of the harness.

since the plug needs to goto the other side of the car you will need to splice a longer bit of electrical cord from the harness on the right side to the left side. I would say about 3 feet of cable for each wire would be good. I had an old electrical cord from a dead vacuum cleaner I used.

I'm going to assume you know how to splice 2 wires together. I used solder and electrical tape on mine.

Also I'm not going to go over how I routed my cable over the radiator and such as everyone's setup is different. but know I used a LOT of zip ties for this project.

Once you get everything spliced and cables ran, make sure the fluid line is not attached to the pump, pour some water or windshield wiper fluid in your tank with a funnel:

Go turn your cars ignition on without starting the car, and engage the windshield water pump, BUT NOT FOR LONG! This should clear out any contaminants that got int he pump, and you should have a puddle of fluid on the ground. Now connect the fluid line to the pump, and test it again and you should have fluid on your windshield!

PS! I, ML ,am not responsible for anything that get destroyed,melted,burned,disintegrated,flooded,shor ted,opened,etc. due to following this tutorial/diy.

Build Thread https://www.instagram.com/mount_tele_lion/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbiont View Post
I swear I will punch your car if you put these on. Right in the face.
ML is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ML For This Useful Post:
Mikepage (04-13-2014), Suparu (05-31-2020)
Old 04-13-2014, 06:07 PM   #2
protpibe

Drives: 4-Runner Sport - 13' BRZ SportTech
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
lol that's pretty Macgyver like, but there's no way I'm attaching a Canola Oil bottle to my car for any purpose whatsoever.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:13 PM   #3
ML

Garage
Ok, well thanks for letting everyone know what you won t be doing to your car. Like I said in the post there are better options I'm sure but this is how I did it.

Quote:
Old 04-13-2014, 06:17 PM   #4
Sarlacc
/dev/null

Drives: Uphill
Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,420 Posts
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Garage
One quick question: Why did you need to do this?
Sarlacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:35 PM   #5
ML

Garage
Because of my intake placement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarlacc View Post
One quick question: Why did you need to do this?

Quote:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ML For This Useful Post:
IBill4You (04-13-2015), Sarlacc (04-14-2014)
Old 04-13-2014, 06:38 PM   #6
protpibe

Drives: 4-Runner Sport - 13' BRZ SportTech
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML View Post
Ok, well thanks for letting everyone know what you won t be doing to your car. Like I said in the post there are better options I'm sure but this is how I did it.
I meant no insult with my comment
ML (04-13-2014)
Old 04-13-2014, 08:16 PM   #7
Brick

Drives: White 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Nicely done, I have intercooler piping there so more than likely I will have to make a small SS tank and put it someplace else. Possibly where my intake is now. I applaud your ingenuity though.
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brick For This Useful Post:
ML (04-13-2014)
Old 04-13-2014, 08:45 PM   #8
ML

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick View Post
Nicely done, I have intercooler piping there so more than likely I will have to make a small SS tank and put it someplace else. Possibly where my intake is now. I applaud your ingenuity though.
Thanks, I feel like this is a good guide for some one to see how to do a relocation and what is involved and not a by the book kinda guide. Everyone is going to have different needs for different applications.

Quote:
Old 04-14-2014, 04:47 AM   #9
Sarlacc
/dev/null

Drives: Uphill
Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,420 Posts
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML View Post
Because of my intake placement.