follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-06-2017, 01:00 PM   #561
KnightRyderx2

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm.brz View Post
up

interested in this too

can we just buy the Tomei UEL without the overpipe? will it fit to the stock overpipe?
Yes, it will bolt up.
KnightRyderx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:11 PM   #562
timmydatooth

Drives: Scion Frs
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
anyone know the best place to get the tomei uel and the overpipe for cheap? seems like every site i go to they cost $675. Will any companies be willing to bargain to beat that price?
timmydatooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:24 PM   #563
KnightRyderx2

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmydatooth View Post
anyone know the best place to get the tomei uel and the overpipe for cheap? seems like every site i go to they cost $675. Will any companies be willing to bargain to beat that price?
Look through the exhaust section of Market Place area and see which ones have it for sale then PM them for a shipped price. That is the best way to get the best price.
KnightRyderx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KnightRyderx2 For This Useful Post:
timmydatooth (04-12-2017)
Old 05-29-2018, 09:46 AM   #564
sactownbwoy

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My setup, full Tomei, UEL, over pipe, 80mm castles front pipe, 80r exhaust.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:12 PM   #565
SCQTT
ZWEI KOLBEN

Drives: 2017 86 Halo 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmydatooth View Post

The manufacturer develops a price based on R&D, material cost and manufacturing.

They must offer price structures so distributors and retailers can have a margin. Rather than selling direct many of them need to go this direction. (service level, manufacturers are focused on building products, not shipping individual parts out daily)

They often set a MAP policy, this is minimum advertised price. They do not want their distributors or retailers selling below this level. Why?

They need to keep their margins at an acceptable level for all parties. You as a consumer are looking for a specific item and you are going to mail order it so all you are looking for is the exact product you researched at the lowest delivered price. Of course you also want it shipped ASAP and want perfect after the sale support if something goes wrong. Who is paying for that?

I have heard some on here complain about vendors that do not have a live person answering the phone. Who pays for that?

If I am an exhaust manufacturer I am looking for great dealers all over the US so my product is easily accessible. If I do not have a strong MAP policy and the dealer I want to set up in Florida takes a look at the street price of the product and sees that he can only make 10% because everyone has to be so competitive he is unlikely to make the investment in my brand.

Lets play with some round numbers. Let's say the product you want is $500. Maybe the manufacturer can sell it to the dealer for $350, if he buys 10 of them at a time. The dealer can make $150.00 on each one he sells. You might think that is a lot for doing nothing, but shipping it out, but they have to deal with you, website, communication, perhaps a shipping "deal" maybe questions with the install, problems, returns, risk of fraud...etc.

So for an investment of $3,500 he has the potential profit of $1,500, but he also needs to have a website so he can market to you. Now what if it was widely known that you could buy that product for $400. Now the dealer has to invest $3,500 to make a potential $500.... would you make that investment? The manufacturer would not get many people to "invest" (buy wholesale) in his brand and it would become less popular in the marketplace. They could lower their wholesale price, but the cycle would just repeat itself in a race to being out of business.

What do you as a consumer bring to the table? Your $500 sale? That might seem like a lot to you and you feel like the dealer should consider that a big sale, but it is not. That is maybe $150 to him. Maybe he has a shipping deal going on so he eats the freight and his ecommerce cost of reaching you, the potential customer, has to be included. Now you are $100 sale at best. Is he going to make it up in volume? Come on its an 86. I did a 600 mile drive yesterday and saw two......how about you? You are a great customer right? lol, you are shopping for the best price, not the fastest shipper, or the one with the best service or the one that supports your sport or the website, you admit it is all about price. Your loyalty can be bought with $10, the price of a fast food meal.

What can you do to get the best price?

Find a reputable company that is known for great customer service and has products that are worth a little more because of what their actions bring to the table. Buy stuff from them, all the stuff you need from them. Do not spread it around. A year from now, when you have bought $2,500 from one place you start having some value. Send them an email, ask nicely for a good deal. Perhaps they have one they used for display at SEMA they will cut you a deal on. an $2,500 customer has value, a customer that has bought $250 at 10 different places has zero value.

No kissing an telling. Even if someone tosses you something for free you DO NOT spread it around social media, that just makes it a huge problem for them from others that are looking for free/cheap stuff. You either keep you pie hole shut and just show pictures of your shiny new item or you say, I bought this awesome new thing from these guys and they are great. they will really take care of you. If someone asks the price just say full pop retail and go on about how great the product is and how great the people were that you got it from.

These people are not Apple or the electric company or some huge nameless corporation. Often they are guys just like you and me that got into this NOT because it was a way to get a bunch of money but rather a way to make a few bucks by being around cars. I promise their kids need braces, dance lessons and a college fund too.
SCQTT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SCQTT For This Useful Post:
sactownbwoy (05-29-2018), tomm.brz (05-29-2018)