follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 05-26-2021, 03:51 PM   #5671
Andrei

Drives: Leon4x4 PRECISION6466,buyng soonBRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
hello everyone!, I just read all the 405 pages (this is not my first or the second language)
I ordered two weeks ago the JR C30 kit, I'm now in the suffering waiting time

I have 2020 BRZ, will tune it with zach this time.
I had before BRZ 2015 for 5 years with sprintex 210 tuned by delicious

have couple of questions

1. always in a hot weather/track take out the rubber in the back where is the vin number

in my mind it's like the spacers to the back bonnet, I can see the hot steam going out. anyone tried it before? and can tell me if it's working or it's only in my mind?

2. I want to build box for the filter, didn't find anyone how did it, someone did? if so I will be glad to see a picture.
i want to do it because In my country it's not allowed open filter (yeah, I know ) and I don't want it to absorb the hot air.
why not put the filter in the bumper? for easy maintenance.

3. if I have one oil catch can, where is the best place to install it so the MAF will get less oil ass possible? if you can even show me in a picture so I will understand exactly where

Andrei is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrei For This Useful Post:
BrahmaBull1990 (06-02-2021), ML (05-26-2021)
Old 05-26-2021, 06:00 PM   #5672
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolzee View Post
I have a couple of questions:

1) Who all is running meth, and what are your current logs looking like? (before you even say "just run E85" know that I'm 50mi from the closest E85 pump so it's not an option)

2) Who is using a Full Blown fan/shroud kit with the FB or Koyo rad? Do you track it and how do the temps look?

3) Knowing I'm not going to be running E85 what would 700cc injectors using 93oct and meth be rated up to max?
Water/Meth injection is extremely uncommon on this version of the FA20, as IATs generally don't get super high, even boosted. Due to the better flowing heads and high comp, we don't run a lot of boost to make significant power.

So, based on that, I wish I could give you answers, but I can't.

As you already know, don't tune for the meth; only use it as a supplement.

E85 will blow meth out of the water in terms of output gains, as you're using the octane, not the cooling ability.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 11:18 AM   #5673
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I’m just about ready to pull the trigger on the JR kit (jfc finally after what, 5-6 years?)... Are there any supporting mods that are highly recommended for daily/track reliability? I will eventually get a aos/catch can system, and would like opinions on what works best with the JR kit. I also remember many dozens of pages ago some were talking about the recirc valve, etc. BTW I am in Denver at ~5-6k altitude.
@CSG Mike if I have headers and catback, is this something accounted for with your tune if purchased as part of the package? I assume a series of data logs are to be sent for remote adjustments before all is said and sone?
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 11:39 AM   #5674
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhaus View Post
I’m just about ready to pull the trigger on the JR kit (jfc finally after what, 5-6 years?)... Are there any supporting mods that are highly recommended for daily/track reliability? I will eventually get a aos/catch can system, and would like opinions on what works best with the JR kit. I also remember many dozens of pages ago some were talking about the recirc valve, etc. BTW I am in Denver at ~5-6k altitude.
@CSG Mike if I have headers and catback, is this something accounted for with your tune if purchased as part of the package? I assume a series of data logs are to be sent for remote adjustments before all is said and sone?
Jackson Racing track oil cooler (SC version), and perhaps a larger radiator and/or fans.

You can do the radiator and fans after the fact, but the oil cooler needs to be done at the same time as the supercharger.

A custom tune would indeed account for the header you have. Revisions done until running to Zach's satisfaction.

You'll also need a Jackson Racing MAP sensor.

I'd also recommend doing all the maintenance items before boosting, so you don't have to do it later down the line, as well as having the best possible conditions when you get re-tuned. The big one is fresh plugs and bench cleaning all 8 injectors professionally.

This is a JRSC dyno for a car that's only been run on gasoline, and only for about 45k miles. The Blue line is pre-injector cleaning. The Green line is after.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
ML (05-27-2021), Pat (05-27-2021), PulsarBeeerz (05-28-2021), Tatsu333 (06-06-2021), tomm.brz (06-05-2021), wheelhaus (05-27-2021)
Old 05-27-2021, 12:05 PM   #5675
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Jackson Racing track oil cooler (SC version), and perhaps a larger radiator and/or fans.

You can do the radiator and fans after the fact, but the oil cooler needs to be done at the same time as the supercharger.

A custom tune would indeed account for the header you have. Revisions done until running to Zach's satisfaction.

I'd also recommend doing all the maintenance items before boosting, so you don't have to do it later down the line, as well as having the best possible conditions when you get re-tuned. The big one is fresh plugs and bench cleaning all 8 injectors professionally.

This is a JRSC dyno for a car that's only been run on gasoline, and only for about 45k miles. The Blue line is pre-injector cleaning. The Green line is after.
Holy cow I didn't expect injector cleaning to be that impactful... Added to the list. Do you have recommendations on where to send them or should any reputable local place be just fine?

The car is getting the valve spring recall done as soon as it can be scheduled this summer, and I will have them drop in new plugs while the lump is out. (car just passed 60k so its perfect timing).

I am already planning on the JR oil cooler and MAP sensor.

As far as radiator/fans/etc (including hood vents) I'll watch temps after the install/tune is complete and address as necessary.

I'm really looking forward to having a bit extra power to balance the other mods that I've done to the suspension, big brakes etc. Excited I am, yes!

wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 01:39 PM   #5676
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhaus View Post
Holy cow I didn't expect injector cleaning to be that impactful... Added to the list. Do you have recommendations on where to send them or should any reputable local place be just fine?

The car is getting the valve spring recall done as soon as it can be scheduled this summer, and I will have them drop in new plugs while the lump is out. (car just passed 60k so its perfect timing).

I am already planning on the JR oil cooler and MAP sensor.

As far as radiator/fans/etc (including hood vents) I'll watch temps after the install/tune is complete and address as necessary.

I'm really looking forward to having a bit extra power to balance the other mods that I've done to the suspension, big brakes etc. Excited I am, yes!

Central Coast Injector Service.

760 468 8574 is their number, Contact's name is Bob.

When you're ready to boost, PM me to order and I'll get you set up proper.
Old 05-27-2021, 06:13 PM   #5677
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,251 Times in 677 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:

Hey Mike, can you explain to us the benefits of bench cleaning injectors instead of following the Toyota-suggested procedure of cleaning them while they are still in the car?
Old 05-27-2021, 06:27 PM   #5678
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Hey Mike, can you explain to us the benefits of bench cleaning injectors instead of following the Toyota-suggested procedure of cleaning them while they are still in the car?
Ever try to clean something with a spray, rather than using a cleaner + some sort of abrasion, such as a towel?
Old 05-27-2021, 06:28 PM   #5679
Pat

Garage
So bench cleaning uses abrasion? Can you be any more specific? I know nothing about this stuff.
Old 05-28-2021, 01:03 AM   #5680
Escher

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Was replacing some coil packs tonight, and stumbled upon a tragedy: oil leak on the blower . Definitely low in the reservoir to boot.

Going to take pictures tomorrow when I'm back in the shop, but from an initial inspection it looks like the source is the passenger-side banjo bolt (tea dumper, not tea drinker for context).

Obviously really hoping it's just that, and not a leak between the pully plate and blower housing.

Any experience with this leak and fixes in here? This thing has been rock solid for the past year to the date almost since install (~5K miles).

Thanks!

Escher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 07:06 AM   #5681
dynarun55

Drives: 2015 midnight blue limited edition.
Quote:
Ever try to clean something with a spray, rather than using a cleaner + some sort of abrasion, such as a towel?
Oh man!! I just got new plugs, and this exact cleaning procedure done at the dealer just this past weekend. Was about to PM you to order the JRSC. Would you still recommend to bench clean my injectors ?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
dynarun55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 07:43 AM   #5682
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
So bench cleaning uses abrasion? Can you be any more specific? I know nothing about this stuff.
Just giving you an example.

You have a few orders more magnitude more cleaner going through the injectors bench cleaning, than just 1 can of cleaner.

You also get before/after measurements of spray pattern and volume.

A better example, perhaps, would be like trying to clean wheels with a garden hose, vs a pressure washer.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Pat (05-28-2021)
Old 05-28-2021, 08:47 AM   #5683
Pat

Garage
I really like the idea of before and after pictures.
Old 06-05-2021, 03:24 AM   #5684
Crail

Drives: MK2 1.8 Jetta, 2013 FRS
Hello!

Noob question here, tried searching the thread but unable to find an answer regarding the Vaccum line / tee. Just picked myself up a JRSC kit from a friend. The Vacuum Tee and Line were not included as he needed the Tee to keep the car functioning (same goes with the pcv side CV). Would I be able to get this up and running with out connecting the intake manifold to the little spigot on the diverter valve? (I keep seeing pics where it is not connected: see attached)

http://speed.academy/wp-content/uplo...charger-71.jpg

If needed: what size TEE connector and hose are required.

Edit* Vacuum Tee, 3/8"x3/8"x3/16"
SKU : 03301-10004

Hose, Vacuum, 5/32"
SKU : 02200-04000 /edit

Figured it out. See edit above if you are ever in need of these parts

Last edited by Crail; 06-09-2021 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Updating
Crail is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crail For This Useful Post:
wheelhaus (06-13-2021)